Author Topic: [ORP] The dark plague  (Read 1885 times)

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
  • Honour: 1
[ORP] The dark plague
« on: 21 January, 2014, 07:31:14 AM »
Brugge, January 20th, 1314

Giulia was in Brugge. Meisent entered the study with a letter with the seal of the King, a serious expression on her face - The messenger said it's really urgent.
She hastened to open it and she blanched while reading.

She dropped the scroll on the table and closed her eyes. It was a terrible news, for a moment the fear gripped her heart. She saw in her mind some memories of the past, she listened again in her ears voices of terrible stories almost forgotten.

Slowly, she imposed her heart to slow down the rhythm, she returned to breathe normally. Regained control of her emotions, she forced herself to recall any possible notion she had studied and learned in her young life as herbalist.

A remembrance suddenly resurfaced memory - I have to go to the academy, to see some treaties. The director will surely be able to help me.

She was about to take up the mantle and run to him, when another thought crossed her mind like a bolt from the sky - Prevent any contact!

She sat down and wrote a quick reply to the King.

"My Lord, forgive me for my audacity, but I beg you to give orders, without any delay, that any suspicion of disease should be reported immediately to authorities.
who is showing signs of contagion needs to be transferred to the nearest region, not inhabited. Such a region must be safe and healthy, but first of all, an isolated one.
Prayers may help the soul, but we must also safeguard the physical, prayers alone not enough.
I'm going to go to the Academy, with the help of Lord Ancilla I will consult the herbal archives.
Something resonates in my memory as a possible remedy, but I need try to verify and confront mine with his wisdom.

Your
Giulia"

She sealed the message, handling it to Meinsent - Run to the Palace. She picked up the mantle and ran out of the house in turn.
The Mandragora .... that name was ringing in her mind insistently.

Brugge, 20 gennaio 1314

Giulia era a Brugge. Meisent entrò nello studio con una lettera con il sigillo del Re, un'espressione seria sul viso - Il messaggero ha detto che è urgentissima.
Sì affrettò ad aprirla e man mano che leggeva sbiancò in volto.

Lasciò cadere la pergamena sul tavolo e chiuse gli occhi. Era una terribile notizia, per un attimo la paura attanagliò il suo cuore. Rividde nella sua mente ricordi del passato, risentì nelle sue orecchie le voci di racconti terribili quasi ormai dimenticati.

Lentamente impose al suo cuore di rallentare il ritmo, ritornò a respirare normalmente. Ripreso il controllo delle sue emozioni, si impose di richiamare alla memoria ogni possibile nozione che  come erborista aveva studiato e imparato nella sua giovane vita.

Un ricordo all'improvviso riaffiorò alla memoria - Devo andare all'accademia, consultare alcuni trattati. Anche il direttore mi potrà aiutare.

Stava per prendere il mantello e correre da lui, quando un altro pensiero le attraversò la mente come un fulmine a ciel sereno - Prevenire ogni contatto!

Si risedette e vergò in fretta una risposta al Re.

"Mio Signore, perdonatemi l'ardire, ma Vi prego senza frapporre indugio date ordine che ogni possibile sospetto di infezione venga segnalato all'istante alle autorità.
Colui che dia segni di contagio deve essere fatto trasferire nella più vicina regione non abitata. Che il luogo sia salubre e sicuro, ma innanzitutto isolato.
Le preghiere aiutano l'anima, ma occorre anche salvaguardare il fisico, da sole non bastano.
Sto per recarmi in Accademia, con l'aiuto di Lord Ancilla consulterò gli archivi erboristici. Qualcosa risuona nella mia memoria come possibile rimedio, ma devo cercare di verificare e confontarmi anche con la sua saggezza.

Vostra
Giulia"

Sigillò il messaggio affidandolo a Meinsent - Corri a Palazzo. Prese il mantello e correndo uscì di casa a sua volta. La mandragora.... quel nome risuonava nella sua testa insistentemente.

« Last Edit: 22 January, 2014, 01:14:27 PM by Giulia Aldobrandeschi »

Verba movent, exempla trahunt - εἶ, γνῶθι σεαυτόν, μηδὲν ἄγαν

(RIP) Ancilla Hospain

• General group
  • Honour: 0
Re: [ORP] The dark plague
« Reply #1 on: 22 January, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »
Curious, I kneel down to look closer.  What and odd little root I think to myself, yet it seems I have seen this before, but where? 
Next to the root a mushroom shows its top above the moss of the Artios forest.  Talking to myself yet again, I must return to find more of these roots, but Ladia Giulia's letter of request to gather 100 mushrooms  had a tone of earnestness about it.  First things first, you must deliver the mushrooms to the palace in Brugge then return here.
A sign here and another at the trail leading to my hut will allow me to find this area quickly.  The mushrooms stowed in a leather sack, and the root carefully laid between two burlap rags and sat atop the mushrooms has me ready to go. 
On the trail I pick up my pace to a near run stopping the hut to gather wood and other supplies.  Within the day I arrive in Brugge and deliver the mushrooms to the palace, and off to the Academy.
With a firm voice I call to the attending scribe, "Mr. Levi.  I will need your service forthwith in my office."
In my office quill and ink in hand I quickly retrieve paper form the desk and place the writing instruments on Mr. Levi's small desk to the side of the room.
"Ah there you are Mr. Levi.  I'm in haste, please write while I gather some needed papers."
"Yes, My Lord,"  answered Mr. Levi
"Greetings Lady Giulia  Some mushrooms have been delivered at the Palace, and I'm sending you a root I found in the Artios Forest.  Do you have all that Mr. Levi?" I ask while I search the bookshelf.
"I'm ready," said Mr. Levi without looking up.
I reach for a small book, "Ah there it is," I say pleasantly surprised.  "I didn't know I would find it so easily.  Praise be to Teos."
With hesitant hand, Mr Levi asks, "Do you want me to write that My Lord?"
"Write what?" I ask interrupted of thought as I thumb through the pages of the little book.
"ummm, well, sorry sir. it appeared you were talking to yourself as you have a habit of doing"
"Where were we Mr. Levi?  Your quite right I was talking to myself."
"The last statement was...." Mr. Levi spoke before being interrupted.
"Oh yes, finish with I have found some information on the root I'm sending.  It appears to be called Mandragora.  According to my information it is used in healing of sicknesses.   Here let me sign it when your done.  I wish you to deliver the root and letter personally to Lady Giulia.  Can you do that?"
Yes, my Lord." said Mr Levi. handing me the letter to be signed. 
I'm off then back to the Artios Forest.  Please inform Lady Giulia I will be found there.

(RIP) Ancilla Hospain

• General group
« Reply #2 on: 22 January, 2014, 10:30:48 AM »
"I must make a better record of the optimum conditions to find the mandragora root in.  You where in such a hurry to leave the forest yesterday.  Fine good hurry will do you if you can't find the mandragora again," I said to myself. 
You left a sign along the trail, so stop worrying.   The poor state of your boots will and hose will cause more trouble.
The signs were great help as I was able to return to the area where the root was found.  First, I retrieved some paper, charcoal, and made a quick drawing of the roots' leaves.  Then some notes on sunlight, shade, humidity, and neighboring plants. 
"Now for a soil sample."  I placed a small amount of soil, some moss, and more root in a portable case with small glass corked stoppered vials.
Gather more mushrooms and mandragora root while I was here had me dirty, cold, and damp.
I was glad to return to my small hut.  Lighting a fire was a relief in itself, but when the warmth hit me sleep called enticingly. 
A Rap Rap Rap awoke me in the middle of the night.  Rap Rap "Director.  Are you there?" yelled a raspy voice.
Rising from bed I answered.  "Yes, I'm here.  One moment to get the door."
Upon opening the door, a rather large man dressed in an even larger over coat that covered all but his flushed round face stood in front of me.   "Please come in we are letting the cold in"  I said. 
"There is no time sir.  We must leave immediately."   
"What?" I asked rubbing sleep from eyes.  I stepped from the door and knelt to open the firebox damper.
"Director, we must leave now," said the round faced man while I continued to play with the firebox. 
The large man fidgeted at the door while I added wood to the firebox and retrieved a lamp to light with a burning twig from the fire. 
"Please Director I have a letter from Lady Giulia.  I don't know what it says, but I was asked to get you out of Artios as quickly as possible."  The mans eyes seemed to seep right along with the sound of his voice.  I thought he might start to beg right in the doorway. 
I reached my hand out.  "Well the letter please.  Where is it? I asked.
"yes Director." he said pawing inside the coat, right, left, opening the front to reveal many interior pockets.  Finally he handed me a small letter.  I opened it and sat down at the table in the best light of the lamp. 
"Oh my."  I exhaled mid way through the letter.  "A plague here in Artios."

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 22 January, 2014, 08:11:37 PM »
Giulia was crossing the market square, when she heard someone calling her.
She turned back, surprized, and saw a boy approaching her in a hurry, waving a sheet of paper badly folded.
Nearly out of breath, he looked at her for a moment and then said - Are you, Lady Giulia, the Duchess of Andernach?
Giulia smiled for such unusual approach, but he was just a little boy and something in his eyes told her she had to listen him carefully.
Of course - she answered with a questioning tone, though smiling.
The boy nodded, bowed awkwardly and handed her the paper - Forgive me, My Lady.

Giulia took the paper wrinkled, read those two lines written in a hurry and  bad way and blanched.
A groan - No, not him.
She looked at the boy in his eyes with serious look - Run and tell him to get out immediately from the city and wait  near the King white stone. Then run back here and wait for me, I will give you further instructions.

Giulia hurried to turn toward the royal palace, but when she arrived in the square outside she heard the crier reading  the King's edict: all who are showing abnormal symptoms have to promptly reach Artois.

Giulia smiled, the King had received her message. Artois? - she thought for a moment then she nodded to wisdom of the King - Yes, a  good choice.
And immediately she went quickly toward the market square where she soon met the boy again.
He acompagned her to the house along the Rozenhoedkaai and she promptly handed him a package - Tell him, one per day, when needed. Remember, I recommend it.

Giulia  looked Meisent into her eyes for a moment, reading the dismay in her eyes, smiled and went out again, finally toward the Academy.
Her heart was pounding - Does Lord Ancilla will be here in Brugge? - She was  really in need to listen his opinion.

Giulia stava attraversando la piazza del mercato, quando si sentì chiamare.
Si voltò sorpresa e vide un ragazzino che le si faceva incontro di corsa, agitando un foglio malamente ripiegato. 
Quasi senza fiato, la guardò per un attimo e poi disse - Siete voi, Lady Giulia, la Duchessa di Andernach?

Giulia sorrise dell'approccio inconsueto, ma era un semplice ragazzino e qualcosa nei suoi occhi le diceva che doveva ascoltarlo.
Certamente - rispose con tono interrogativo, seppur sorridendo.
Il ragazzino annuì, fece un inchino quanto mai impacciato e le porse il foglio - Perdonatemi, Mia Signora.

Giulia prese il foglio stropicciato, lesse quelle due righe vergate in fretta e in malo modo e sbiancò in volto.
Un gemito le sfuggì - No, non lui.
Guardò il ragazzino negli occhi con sguardo serio - Corri e digli di uscire immediatamente dalla città e aspettare  vicino alla pietra del Re. Tu poi corri di nuovo qui e aspettami, ti darò ulteriori istruzioni.

Giulia si affrettò a sua volta verso il palazzo reale, ma quando giunse nella piazza antistante sentì il banditore leggere l'editto del Re: tutti coloro che manifestavano sintomi inconsueti dovevano prontamente recarsi ad Artois.

Giulia sorrise, il Re aveva ricevuto il suo messaggio. Artois? - Pensò per un attimo poi annuì della saggezza del Re - Sì ottima scelta.
E subito si incamminò con passo lesto verso la piazza del mercato dove avrebbe di lì a poco incontrato nuovamente il ragazzino. Si fece scortare fino alla sua casa lungo il Rozenhoedkaai  e prontamente gli consegnò un pacchetto - Digli, una al giorno, quando necessario. Ricordati, mi raccomando.

Guardò Meisent negli occhi per un attimo, leggendo nei suoi occhi lo sgomento, le sorrise e uscì di nuovo di casa, finalmente diretta all'Accademia. Il cuore batteva forte - Lord Ancilla sarà qui a Brugge? - aveva veramente bisogno di sentire la sua opinione.

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #4 on: 22 January, 2014, 09:07:08 PM »
During the road she had the opportunity to reflect further, but when she was about to cross the door of the Academy suddenly she remembered where  Lord Ancilla was.
She turned white again. This was confirmed a few moments later. She immediately asked some paper for writing and  wrote, simply ignoring all the formalities,

"Lord Ancilla, no time. Come immediately back to Brugge, please. The King declared
Artois isolation area for those infected by the black plague.
I'm waiting for you at the Accademy.

Lady Giulia "

Durante il tragitto aveva avuto modo di riflettere ulteriormente, ma quando stava per  varcare la porta dell'Accademia si ricordò improvvisamente dove si trovava Lord Ancilla.
E nuovamente sbiancò. Ne ebbe conferma pochi istanti dopo. Chiese immediatamente di poter scrivere e trascurando ogni formalità scrisse semplicemente

"Lord Ancilla, non c'è tempo. Tornate immediatamente a Brugge. Il Re ha dichiarato
Artois zona di isolamento per gli infetti della peste nera.
Vi attendo all'Accademia

Lady Giulia"
« Last Edit: 23 January, 2014, 05:05:35 PM by Giulia Aldobrandeschi »

(RIP) Ancilla Hospain

• General group
« Reply #5 on: 23 January, 2014, 08:42:39 AM »
Arriving in Ieper, on my way to Brugge, I stop at the Inn to gather food, and some supplies.  I must rest also.  My feet are beyond sore.  Removing my boots revealed bloodied socks from the open blisters.   Gathering a pot, water, and salt I prepare a bath for my feet.  While the water heats over the stove I pull up a chair to sit as close to the stove as I can.  Soon the heat has me drowsy. 
Vaguely the sound of ponies hooves enter my mind followed by boots going scuff scuff on the inn porch.  The knock at the door soon followed.  "Please enter," I shout.  "It is difficult to come to the door at the moment."
The door opens slowly and barely enough to allow a slim young man to enter.  "Begging your pardon director," states the young man bobbing up and down as if bowing once wasn't polite enough.
"Please sit down," I said, pointing to a chair at the table. 
"Yes Director." 
What can I do for you young man?  The Inn is closed, but I'm sure there is some soup or bread to be warmed."
"I have a letter for you from lady Giulia," said the young man.  He reached into a small bag around his waist and handed me a small paper.   The seal was easily removed and I read the letter while the young man sat silent at the table.  I got up and placed the letter on the table.  Wincing from the pain of my feet with each step to get the water bath and back to my chair.   Too tired to think quickly I took as much time considering the situation of the plague as I did easing my feet into the hot salt water.
"Young man," I said, speaking to the ceiling as my head tipped onto the back of the chair.  "There is a room in the back.  Please make yourself to some food, and stay the night.  It is much to late to travel to Brugge tonight, and I'm in no shape to travel even if you are."

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #6 on: 23 January, 2014, 07:10:51 PM »
Once the message to Lord Ancilla was sent, Giulia crossed again the Accademy hall, without even looking at the hall to her right, the one in which she had spent so much time the previous winter in studying the arts of rhetoric and of the good governance, but, with firm step, she went to the library itself, where the the most rare books were preserved.
She took only a nod so that the assistant to the director promptly opened her the doors. Her eyes brooked no argument and the news of the plague was spreading now everywhere. She smiled gently, but her mind was already elsewhere.

Once inside she looked around - From where to start the search? - She whispered.
She walked toward a shelf, looking carefully  the volumes' backs and immediately smiled - Lord Ancilla has found a wonderful cataloging system, indeed.

What was billed as a frantic search, revealed to be so simple that a little later, on a table in a
small adjoining room,  a considerable amount of volumes were already piled up and Giulia sat down to start reading.
A silent servant came to stoke the fire in the fireplace and to leave some candles in reserve.
The next morning Giulia woke up, her head resting on a book which was reporting about the plague in ancient Greece. She could not remember when she was asleep, she only knew that she had spent most of the night in reading, as the burned candles were witness.
The room was cold, she wrapped better herself in the mantle and hoped that Lord Ancilla will come soon.

Inviato il messaggio a Lord Ancilla, Giulia attraversò nuovamente l'atrio dell'Accademia, non guardò nemmeno  la sala alla sua destra, quella in cui l'inverno precedente aveva trascorso tanto tempo a studiare le arti della retorica e del buon governo, ma con passo sicurò si diresse alla sala della biblioteca vera e propria dove erano custodite le opere più rare.
Bastò un cenno perchè l'assistente del direttore le aprisse prontamente le porte. Il suo sguardo non ammetteva repliche e la notizia del contagio si stava ormai diffondendo. Sorrise per ringraziamento, ma la sua mente era altrove.

Una volta entrata si guardò intorno - Da dove iniziare le ricerche?  - mormorò.
Si avvicinò ad uno scaffale, osservando con attenzione i dorsi dei volumi e subito sorrise - Lord Ancilla ha trovato uno splendido sistema di catalogazione.

Quella che si era preannunciata come un'affannosa ricerca, si rivelò così semplice che di lì a poco, su un tavolo in una piccola stanza adiacente erano già ammucchiati una considerevole mole di volumi e Giulia si sedette per cominciare a leggere. Un servitore entrò silenzioso per alimentare il fuoco nel camino e lasciò alcune candele di riserva.
Il mattino dopo Giulia si risvegliò, il capo poggiato sul un libro che narrava della pestilenza nell'antica Grecia. Non ricordava quando si fosse addormentata, sapeva solo di aver passato gran parte della notte a leggere come le candele consumate testimoniavano.
La stanza era fredda, si avvolse meglio nel mantello e sperò che Lord Ancilla arrivasse presto.

(RIP) Ancilla Hospain

• General group
« Reply #7 on: 23 January, 2014, 11:38:19 PM »
An early rise in Ieper and good weather allowed the messenger and I to reach Brugge shortly.   Upon arrival I bid farewell and thank the messenger for his assistance. 
I was addressed by the Academy assistant before I could even step into the foyer.
"Lord Director we are so glad your here, and not ill," she cried, beaming from ear to ear.   Her excitement was unusual, but she kept right with duties taking my coat, and hat. 
"Thank you Miss," I said.  "As you can see I'm quit well."
"Lord Director, you have a visitor in the library.  Lady Giulia is here.  She has found the books you had us set out to research the plague." 
I smiled in spit of the plagues' fearful nature.  Not that I'm prone to smiling a great deal anyway.  To see lady Giulia was always a pleasure.  With her help we will find a treatment.
"Please bring us a fresh pot of tea and some light food," I told the assistant.
"Yes, right away Director," she replied with a polite bow.
With that I was off to the library with a brisk clack clack clack of my boots on the hard wood floor.

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #8 on: 24 January, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
Although still sleepy, Giulia noticed the sound of footsteps on the wooden floor. She turned to the door and smiled looking Lord Ancilla entering the room - Lord Ancilla, I'm glad you arrived safely. I was really worried about you.
I could not resign myself to have advised you in going into the Artois' forest in  looking for medicinal mushrooms...
- and she turned white for just a moment in remembering her anxiety.

She returned to smile seeing shortly after his assistant coming with steaming tea, she really needed something to warm you up herself. She looked for a while towards the  extinct fireplace, hoping that her glaze was caught from somebody, but there were subjects far more urgent than this.

- I spent the whole night in reading, but I didn't found anything relevant. It's unclear how the disease spreadsand which can be effective remedies. Surely the isolation may help, but what we need is to find a way for healing sick people.

Giulia looked down, thinking for a moment to those who had been sent to Artois in a hurry. Then she jumped, in the excitement of the last few hours she forgotten to open a package that had been delivered by Lord Ancilla.

She took it in her hands and turning to the Director asked - What is this, Lord Ancilla?/color]

Seppure ancora assonnata, Giulia si accorse del rumore di passi sul pavimento di legno. Si voltò verso la porta e sorrise vedendo Lord Ancilla entrare - Lord Ancilla, sono lieta che siate arrivato sano e salvo. Ero veramente in pensiero per voi.
Non potevo darmi pace di avervi consigliato io stessa di recarvi nella foresta di Artois per le ricerche dei funghi medicinali....
- e sbiancò per un attimo al solo ricordo.

Tornò a sorridere vedendo poco dopo la sua assistente entrare con del te fumante, aveva proprio bisgno di qualcosa per scaldarsi. Guardò per un attimo verso il caminetto ormai spento, sperando che il suo sguardo venisse colto, ma c'erano cose ben più urgenti.

- Ho trascorso tutta la notte a leggere, ma non ho ancora trovato nulla di significativo. Non è chiaro come il morbo si diffonda e quali possano essere rimedi efficaci. Sicuramente l'isolamento può essere d'aiuto, ma quello che ci occorre trovare è un modo di curare gli ammalati.

Giulia abbassò lo sguardo, pensando per un attimo a coloro che erano stati inviati ad Artois in fretta e furia. Poi sobbalzò, nella concitazione di quelle ultime ore aveva dimenticato di aprire un pacchetto che le era stato consegnato da parte di Lord Ancilla.

Lo prese fra le mani e rivolgendosi al Direttore chiese - Di cosa si tratta, Lord Ancilla?

(RIP) Ancilla Hospain

• General group
« Reply #9 on: 25 January, 2014, 03:47:33 AM »
"Greetings Lady Giulia," I said, upon entering the library.  "The package is a plant, its roots mostly, that I found in the forest.  On my first trip back to the library I found a book with an illustration resembling this little plant.   I sent the book and the plant for you to look at."
Setting my bags down on the table I said, "there are more samples in here of other plants that grew in the general area as the root, and a journal with some notes of weather, sunlight, and more where the root was growing.  I wanted to get as much information as possible in a short time."  I pulled the case with cork stoppered vials and the journal out of the bag to set them on the table in front of Giulia so she could look at them.  My next goal was to find some medical books to see if any mention of plants related to the physical symptoms of the plague could be found.
"we need some wood for the fire, and the large slate board from the lecture room.  Please retrieve them Miss Priselbon?  Your assistance will be most appreciated."
"Right away," replied assistant Priselbon.
Now to find those medical books. 
"Pardon me Director," spoke Miss Priselbon.  "I took it upon myself to get many of the medical books down for your return."  Miss Priselbon continued while pointing to a stack of tomes, books, journals, and scrolls.   "I may have overlooked some you would like. I do hope it helps."
"Why thank you, you are most perceptive.  More tea, a warm fire and the slate so we can chart the plagues symptoms and our research information is what we need now."
Turning my attention to Lady Giulia,  "I'm so glad to see you.  Thank you for coming.  The task we are faced with precedes  any pleasantries.  Is it acceptable to chart our information on the slate board, to see what correlations we may find? 

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #10 on: 26 January, 2014, 10:47:40 PM »
Giulia looked carefully at the package Lord  Ancilla had put on the table, it seemed Mandrake as shee remembered and the small book confirmed it, indeed. She tried to recall what she remembered about it, but could not remember any correlation with the plague they were facing with.
She shook her head, almost discouraged, but the words of Lord Ancilla call her back to the present and the urgency of the situation.

"I'm so glad to see you. Thank you for coming. The task we are faced with precedes any pleasantries.
Is it acceptable to chart our information on the slate board, to see what correlations we may find?

She smiled gently - Of course, Lord Ancilla. We need it. Please, let me know about your researches and your opinions.

Giulia guardò con attenzione quanto Lord Ancilla aveva messo sul tavolo, sembrava Mandragola per quel che ricordava e il libricino infatti lo confermava. Cercò di richiamare alla memoria quanto ricordava a proposito, ma non ricordava alcuna correlazione con il morbo con cui sembrava avessero a che fare.
Scosse il capo, quasi sconfortata, ma le parole di Lord Ancilla la riportarono al presente e all'urgenza della situazione.

"I'm so glad to see you.  Thank you for coming.  The task we are faced with precedes  any pleasantries. 
Is it acceptable to chart our information on the slate board, to see what correlations we may find? 

Sorrise dolcemente - Certo, Lord Ancilla. Ne abbiamo bisogno. Ditemi delle vostre ricerche e delle vostre congetture, ve ne prego.

(RIP) Ancilla Hospain

• General group
« Reply #11 on: 28 January, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »

I raise my brows and purse my lips in contemplation.    "not sure if I have an opinion other then we must examine all the information we have concerning this sickness."
Taking some chalk, I stand before the board of slate and divide the face into rows and columns.  "Lets list the symptoms in the first column, fever, open sores, diarrhea, etc.   Then we will leave a column for each research source or potential remedy, and cross reference for each symptom.  Perhaps  we can at least find something to try."
With that I pace back and forth a bit then look at Lady Giulia saying, "we should also try and get information on the plagues causes, transmissions etc.  I know little about what has caused this.  Do you have any information?  Maybe know someone who has some ideas?"

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #12 on: 29 January, 2014, 08:51:22 PM »
"Lets list the symptoms in the first column, fever, open sores, diarrhea, etc.   Then we will leave a column for each research source  or potential remedy, and cross reference for each symptom.  Perhaps  we can at least find something to try."

Giulia nodded, listening Lord Ancilla. She look carefully at what he wrote on the board, silent, trying to remember any little reference she listened, saw or studied in her past studies and in her journeys.

The symptoms were those of a plague, for sure, but which one? It seemed different from any other prevoiusly known...

"we should also try and get information on the plagues causes, transmissions etc.  I know little about what has caused this.  Do you have any information?  Maybe know someone who has some ideas?"

Giulia shook her head, a little bit discouraged - I really don't know, Lord Ancilla. Let's try together, please - and she started to look on the board, again.

After a while she heard some sound of footsteps entering the room, a messenger handed her a letter from the King.

The King is asking us to look for more mandragola and to prepare some violet potions for the priest in Brugge, Lord Ancilla.... -

She was astonished - Mandragora? Priest? - she murmured very low in tone - Mandragora can cause hallucinations for what I know, why it could be useful for the plague?

Then, she added - Well, these are King's orders. I believe it will be more proper to go in Andernach. You could look for mandragora in the forest nearby and I for the potion, first using these ones. Maybe you can follow me with a cart, may we bring with us those books? Shall we go?

"Lets list the symptoms in the first column, fever, open sores, diarrhea, etc.   Then we will leave a column for each research source  or potential remedy, and cross reference for each symptom.  Perhaps  we can at least find something to try."

Giulia annuì, ascoltando le parole di Lord Ancilla. Guardò con attenzione quello che aveva scritto sulla tavola, in silenzio, cercando di ricordare ogni piccolo riferimento avesse sentito, visto o studiato nei suoi studi e nei suoi viaggi.

I sintomi erano quelli di una pestilenza, sicuramente, ma quale? Sembrava così diversa da ogni altra precedentemente conosciuta...

"we should also try and get information on the plagues causes, transmissions etc.  I know little about what has caused this.  Do you have any information?  Maybe know someone who has some ideas?"

Giulia scosse la testa, un po' scoraggiata - Veramente non saprei,  Lord Ancilla. Proviamo insieme, per favore - e ricominciò a fissare la tavola nuovamente.

Dopo un momento sentì il suono di alcuni passi entrare nella stanza, un messaggero le consegnò una lettera da parte del Re.

Il Re ci chiede di cercare altra mandragola e di preparare delle pozioni viole per il parroco a  Brugge, Lord Ancilla.... -

Era stupefatta - Mandragora? Parroco? - mormorò a voce molto bassa - La mandragora può causare allucinazioni per quel che so, perche' dovrebbe essere utile per la pestilenza?

Poi, aggiunse  - Bene, questi sono gli ordini del Re. Credo che sia più opportno andare a  Andernach. Voi potrete cercare per la mandragora nella vicina foresta e io per la pozione, dapprima usando queste. Forse potreste seguirmi con il carro, possiamo portare con noi questi libri? Possiamo andare?