Author Topic: [ORP] Looking for few moments of peace  (Read 5170 times)

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
  • Honour: 1
[ORP] Looking for few moments of peace
« on: 07 December, 2012, 12:21:14 PM »
Giulia was use to travel quite often for trade, but this time it was really mandatory for other reasons.
She was urged to take some hours just for herself, some rest with respect to the last events.
Not a need of the body, but of her mind, mainly. It was not enough to come back home in Milan.
Almost without really realizing it, she had saddled again her horse and launched at full gallop to the North.
The need to put in order all her thoughts and to organize all the best she can for her Duchy.

Nobody around, just the snow on the pine trees in the mountains and the voice of the wind. She felt better already, but it was
really cold around.

She decided to go even further North, in the land of Flanders. It was always very comfortable to rest in those lands during her
travels: the Flemish people is so friendly.
She needs the warm and quiet smile of some her friends there.... but the hours run quickly and quite no time to send a message.
Thus, maybe she would just sit on the beach in front of the North Sea at the sunset finding a mirror to her thoughts and a rhythm for her breath.

Only after she would take care to look where spending the night hours before leaving again.

Verba movent, exempla trahunt - εἶ, γνῶθι σεαυτόν, μηδὲν ἄγαν

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
  • Honour: 0
Re: [ORP] Looking for few moments of peace
« Reply #1 on: 08 December, 2012, 12:29:04 AM »
Harald was sailing North from the Kingdom of Castilla. The ship has started its trip from the northern coast in the province of Asturia were Harald was named Duke of these lands while Secretary of Treasury and Commerce for his old friend the King Giovanni.

The Captain waited for the tide, then when the evening was approaching sailed. The sea was a little bit rough, but they were still near the coast and Harald, as every northern men was used to that kind of sea.

He was on the right broadside, leant to the hull. The wind full of saltiness upon his face and his beard, his hairs gathered up in a plait as he was always used to do while travelling. He was thinking to a young Lady recently known. She was from the Duchy of Milan, a young, nice and very active merchant always ready to do business, always ready to hear her customers. She remembered Harald himself at the beginning of his life as a traveling merchant.

Harald smiled thinking at the young Lady, her explosive manners, he didn't know why he was thinking to that Lady, and he smiled again.

A sailor approached Harald, "Excuse me My Lord but the Captain said that it would be better for you to go on below deck, the sea is getting more rough". Harald smiled, then looking at the sailor he said "Thank your Captain for me lad, but my ancestors were sailing these seas while his ones were still breeding cows. I'll stay here for a while".

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2012, 11:00:42 AM »
The day after Giulia was more relaxed, her thoughts again clear, despite the very short rest.

Indeed, Ser Ancilla was not really surprised to see Giulia to knock at the Academy door so late in the afternoon: the quiet smile of one who loves science and recognizes its fellow members.
What a wonderful lecture in the library on herbalist potions during the night!

And what a delicious breakfast at the inn on her return: fresh milk and apple pie, served by the smiling landlady, a little bit worried for the really short rest of her customer.

But now, it's time to come back in Milan, just the time leaving a short message to the Earl of Flanders at the palace:

"My Lord,
I apologize for my short stay in Flanders.
I really enjoy it, the flemish people is so warm also with foreigners, but now I have to come back as soon as possible in Milan.
I will return in few days, when I hope You could have few time to spend talking with me, despite Your major appointments.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Giulia
"

Then, she saddled again her horse and left the town.
« Last Edit: 08 December, 2012, 02:24:46 PM by Giulia Aldobrandeschi »

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 13 December, 2012, 04:02:04 PM »
Harald was sitting on a chair in front of the window of his private chamber in the Royal Palace. The fireplace was warming the chamber.

Harald looked outside the window; the sun was going down the horizon giving the city down under the Palace beautiful colors. He took a letter from the table

My Lord,
I apologize for my short stay in Flanders.
I really enjoy it, the Flemish people are so warm also with foreigners, but now I have to come back as soon as possible in Milan.
I will return in few days, when I hope you could have few time to spend talking with me, despite your major appointments.

Giulia

Harald smiled. The young Lady from the Duchy of Milan was a nice one. She remembered to Harald himself at the beginning of his merchant activity, full of energy, full of new ideas and, most important, always at disposition.

The young woman was a pleasant surprise during one of his rarest appearances in the market. He smiled remembering how the young red fair Lady was arguing with an astonished old Flemish merchant that has undoubtedly tried to take advantage of whom seemed to be a young foreigner naïve. Harald settled the matters and with its poor Italians calm down the young Lady that, once understood who he was became red as their hairs.

Harald was fond with this young Lady that, despite his role, always overwhelmed him with questions and doubts.

Harald sipped his ale and smiled again to the sunset.

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #4 on: 14 December, 2012, 02:05:31 PM »
Once again, Giulia was resting on a sandy beach, another beach, another sea...
again after some tumultuous events to put in order all her thoughts.

Although usually used to look just at the future, this time she went back to the past in her mind. A really strange feeling about this.

Giulia don't know almost nothing about her heritage, except the name of her family, an old family of Lombard origin: she retain the memory of the tender sweetness of her mother and the benevolent smile of her father, holding her in his arms.

During the childhood and early youth, she was mysteriously entrusted to a nurse of Arab origin and a tutor of Nordic origin. The former gave her the wise art of healing with herbs and the latter the respectful love for sciences and arts.

The untimely death of both, as a result of a serious outbreak, has left Giulia quite without any means and news about her origins.
On his deathbed her dear tutor said  - "Your parents before definitely leave you, asked us to swear not to reveal ever your origins. Always look towards your future, if it's written in your destiny that will end up parents and relatives, this will happen, otherwise you can find your own way. Never doubt about your inner strength and your expertise." Her nurse said, in a faint whisper - "Remember to always listen to the voice of your heart and the nature around you ... loves those who know how to gain your trust, as we have we loved you. For both, you have been as a daughter..."

After some tough times, Giulia has found a reasonable way in the life. Despite the insecurity of the roads, the desire to learn, as her nurse and  mentor taught her, and the hope to find some trace of her origins are too strong. So, she travels quite often, all around in Europe.

Maybe, she is an usual young lady, fair and always used to apply her mind to understand people that she meets on her travels. But she is always ready to be as flexible as the copper, the color of her hair, when she meets someone who shows intelligence and mind's nobility.

Suddenly, she remembered the Count of Flanders and their first meeting at the  Brugge market, the embarrassment to discover who he was, but also the feeling of familiarity towards him. Although the Count  was much younger than her nordic tutor, their common origins drove  her to deal with the Count, as with his tutor long ago.

This time she will notified in advance about her arrival in Brugge, so that he could find few time to answer to her usual 1000 and 1 questions, hoping to be not too much inconvenient in this.

Nevertheless, some days must be spent  to organize all  the best for the Duchy, before leaving.

« Last Edit: 30 December, 2012, 07:30:11 AM by Giulia Aldobrandeschi »

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #5 on: 20 December, 2012, 10:28:36 PM »
Giulia was back in Milan for few days, quietly working in her herbalist workshop and talking with both old friends and new citizens.

No new experiments at this time. She smiled, remembering the words of her friend Jacopo joking about some sawdust uses.

A merchant caravan had stopped in Milan and she gived one of them a message to deliver to the Count of Flanders, a blue seal engraved with a leaf to close it.

"My Lord,
I apologize for my unexpected previous visit.
I believe that when you will receive this message, I will just left Milan for Brugge, me too.
I hope you could grant an audience to me.

Giulia"

All was ready for the new travel: the herbalist shop well cleaned, all goods well packed, the horse well attended and most important her clothes dyed blue again, the only possible color when working with mulberries.

Just a warm goodbye to her best friends, a glance at the full moon shining in the clear cold sky of Milan trough the windows and she closed her eyes waiting for the new day.

« Last Edit: 21 December, 2012, 08:05:34 AM by Giulia Aldobrandeschi »

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #6 on: 21 December, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
Harald was on the top of the tower in the west side of the Palace, the highest one. He liked that place thanks to the isolation it gave to him. Some sort of rest from his duties and a good place where think about the future.

He left Lord Larsson after a dinner in which they discussed about the Army’s organization, then, before went to the tower a page give him a letter. He didn’t read it immediately.

The day was cloudy and the rain was starting to fall quietly. The next two, three days would have been of rainy ones.

He picked up from its pocket the letter and, once broken the seal he started to read it. He smiled. It was from Lady Giulia, the red Italian merchant form the Duchy of Milan, announcing her arrival in Brugge to study at the Academy. He laughed thinking to the poor Lord Hospain and tons of questions he would surely have received soon.

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #7 on: 21 December, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »

Finally, Giulia was arrived in Brugge, a really hard travel with such a winter weather: wind in the Prealps , a lot of snow on the Alps crossing, and after rain, rain, only rain.
She was soaked to the bone, no thought in mind, except the one of a hot soup into an inn and a clean bed.

Maybe just the warm smile of a some friend could dissuade her for the latter purpose, but not for long in any case.

Despite the harshness of the journey she was really happy to be in Brugge, tomorrow she would walk along the streets and beside the canals, even in the rain if necessary, but only tomorrow...

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #8 on: 29 December, 2012, 01:26:06 AM »
The days were really busy. Harald would like to spend some time with the young italian merchant but his duties filled his days, and basically every moment claimed his attention... the re-organization of the Army, the diplomatic stance and the signing of some friendship treaties up to keep feeded the people, well dressed the new arrived, the starting of new activities, the developpment of the regions, etc.

He rested for a while looking out of the window. The rain falled down slowly. The winter was coming and the days was shortening.

Harald known that the italian Lady liked to spend her time in the Academy studying. He sat to his table and took the feather and wrote a scroll

Dear Lady Giulia,

I would like to share some time with you, to talk about markets and news from the sounthern Europe. Would you like to join me for lunch tomorrow at midday here into the Palace?
I would like to go into one of the nicest inns of Brugge, but unlikely I haven't enough time to do that in these days, so if you'd join me it will be a pleasure for me to host you.

All the Best

Harald Magnusson
Count of Flanders

Then he placed his wax seal and called a page.

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #9 on: 29 December, 2012, 11:06:31 AM »
Giulia was coming out of the Brugge Academy, after having spent all the night on its ancient and precious books, when a young page caught her carrying a letter with the seal of the Count.

It was raining, but she could not resist opening it instantly. The tiredness came suddenly out, and, smiling, she ran back to her desk.

"My Lord,
it will be a real pleasure to be your guest at the palace.

I am truly honored that you want to share some time with me.
Don't worry about the lunch too much, what I wish is just to be able to talk with You, quietly.

Sincerely,
Giulia"

Giulia kindly asked to the young page to return her response to the Count, she ran to tidy up her desk and  then walked quickly towards her house. She needed to sleep few hours before midday, but also to arrange her copper hair, incredibly curly due to dampness. She was used to simply tie them with a blue lace, but this time she would have been more presentable with braids.

She would bring a red wine bottle to the Count as a special gift, sure that his many trips of the past had taught him to appreciate it and perhaps the lyre, that her nordic tutor had taught her to play, but she was not sure there would be time.
She knew that the Count was very very busy in this period....

« Last Edit: 29 December, 2012, 05:41:42 PM by Giulia Aldobrandeschi »

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #10 on: 15 January, 2013, 03:26:35 PM »
The lunch was a really pleasant one. The young Lady was a nice surprise. She showed a great etiquette, much more than what Harald was able to do indeed.

Their conversations flow fluently even if Harald sometimes lost his mind among the many verbs of the italic language, but it was fun.

And really funny was to see the young Lady a little bit tried about the lunch, clearly not used to such a quantity of food in only one time.

They now are sat in the Harald’s favorite room, those in the west corner of the Palace with great windows that allow its host to have a sight of Brugge and its neighbor lands. The day turned from cloudy to a snowy one, the first snow of the year.

While sipping his ale Harald turned to Lady Giulia, Well my dear Lady, hope you feel a little bit better. I’m sorry, I’m a man of the North and I’m used to eat with passion when with such a nice company. Tell me, what do you need to know from me? From your last letter I thought you need some sort of advice or counsel; please feel free to ask me whatever you need.

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #11 on: 16 January, 2013, 04:28:28 PM »
Giulia went to the Palace, a young page led her into a large room heated by a huge fireplace and adorned with some beautiful tapestries with hunting scenes.
The Count Harald was there, standing by the window, deep in his thought.
He kindly welcomed her with a warm smile and they began to talk of so many many things, sitting in front of a really huge number of courses.
Giulia was really curious, as usual due to her peculiar mentor education, to try those foods, expecially those different from the one she known, but the amount was too much for her and she had to admit it explicitly, hoping dont break too much the court etiquette....

Good sign to see the Count appreciate so much the food and enjoy his life, despite all his heavy commitments.

After the lunch they we moved to another smaller room.
Is it your favorite room, My Lord? I well understand the reason, the landscape is really wonderful.
Oh, it's snowing now.

Luckily, the room was warm enough and their two seats were close to the fireplace. Giulia was not yet completely used to the Flanders weather.

It was really a pleasure to talk with Lord Harald, his conversation being lively, as well as clever and deeply interesting.
It was funny to hear him try speaking in Italian, sometimes tangled due to the very different grammar, but she really appreciated his efforts.

I have to warmly thanks you, My Lord, for your perfect hospitality and kindness....

Nel corso della nostra conversazione credo che abbiate già dato risposta a molti dei dubbi e dei consigli che mi abbisognavano,
è un vero privilegio poter fare affidamento sulla vostra esperienza, saprò farne prezioso tesoro.
Nondimeno, ben sapete oramai come la mia educazione mi porti ad essere oltremodo curiosa circa la vita e i pensieri delle genti di regni
lontani, mi sarebbe gradito dono se voleste raccontarmi del vostro regno e della vostra persona, Lord Harald, sperando che ciò non vi dispiaccia.

Oh, I'm sorry... maybe I have spoken too fast and in a too complicated way... I'm not used to the flemish ale and your italian it's really quite fluent...

I would like to hear something about your kingdom and You... do you want, My Lord?
, Giulia looked at the Count for a moment, then she looked down, slightly blushing.

Giulia was used to listen all people very carefully, regardless of their role, and she had learned that many things are revealed as a man speaks about himself. She surely had a great estimation of Lord Harald, but her curiosity led her often far away...

[OOC]
Approximate translation of the italian text:

During our conversation, I think you have already answered many of the questions and advices I need, it is a real privilege to rely on your experience, I'll make treasure of your words.
However, you well know how my education bring me to be very curious about life and thoughts of people of foreign kingdoms, I would really appreciate if you could tell me something about your kingdom and your person, Lord Harald, hoping that you do not mind about this.   

« Last Edit: 16 January, 2013, 06:52:20 PM by Giulia Aldobrandeschi »

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #12 on: 30 January, 2013, 12:43:11 AM »
Harald looked at the young Lady, and smiled. He looked deeply at the woman sat in front of him. Her eyes full of life and eager of knowledge, basically of everything.

Harald was always punched by the young Lady’s energy, her will, her commitment to everything she did, surprised him and amused at the same time.

Probably another Regent would have thrusted you out after these improper questions” he said serious looking her directly into her eyes, his face grave.
The young Lady turned red as her hair. Probably she started to think to have gone over some sort of limit.
Harald left her with their minds for one minute, then he started to laugh and confusion started to arise in Lady Giulia’s gaze.

Don’t worry my little Lady, you know, I like to joke a little bit” he said winking at the young Lady.

So, you would like to know about Flanders and about me” he said raising one eyebrow.

What I can say about Flanders and about me is strictly connected. You know, I’m from the North, from the region of Viken in Norway. I’m the second son of Magnus called the mighty. My family was the ruler of that region for two hundred years before the Danes came. We fought to keep our freedom, but we lost, my father was jailed and my beloved sister was forced to marry a Danish lord.
For the old northern law only the eldest son could inherit; lands, titles, goods, all belong to the first born. At the end I left my country, my family, my people…but most of all I left my sister…

His eyes went to the fire that was burning. He remembered some old words “promise Harald, promise me that one day you’ll come back home to bring me away with you…” few words, the heaviest he have ever listened.

Well, after a while I arrived into the county of Flanders with few things other than what I wear. With the nice help of Father Nogwa More and those of our former Count, Jehan Desains, I was able to start a new life here as a sheep farmer. I slept many times with my sheeps scared about the possibility that someone could steal them. I was a farmer but it wasn’t my life. I was able to sustain myself but nothing more. I saw several times the great merchants in the city market sell their goods wearing their magnificent clothes and so I decided to sell everything and try to do the same. I bought some goods and started for my first business trip… I finished it few months ago when I became Count of Flanders. But this is another story.” He said smiling.

« Last Edit: 06 February, 2013, 11:44:57 AM by Harald Magnusson »

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
« Reply #13 on: 05 February, 2013, 09:58:35 PM »
Giulia shivered suddenly, worried about the serious expression of the Count and  his stare her so intensely into the eyes.
Had she gone too far away? She blushed visibly...
Nevertheless, the instinct led her to do so, the subtle feeling of familiarity despite the differences in their role...

"Probably another Regent would have thrusted you out after improper questions"  Lord Harald said ...
 "Probably another regent ...?" she heard again in her mind ...
 maybe ...
Oh,luckily, all was right, the Count was saying  "Do not worry my little lady, you know, I like to joke a little bit" ....

She breathed deeply, looked him in the eyes in turn, and then bowed her head to tell him, without any words, that she understood the point and she would not have made such a mistake with others.

The Count began to speak and Giulia listened very carefully his story.
She was very impressed with the strong emotions that were leaking from his seemingly calm words.
A very sad story, but in which the strength of character and the qualities of the Count have been able to rightly drive him in starting a new life.

Giulia kindly smiled, looking into his eyes and said, "Your beloved sister had to wear a heavy chain,
sad fate of a woman just due to her rank ... I hope she has at least the comfort of her children...."

"I finished it few months ago when I became Count of Flanders. But this is another story.”
"I'll be happy to hear it, my Lord, as soon as you have the time and desire to talk me about..."
She said smiling, and  slightly blushing again.

« Last Edit: 05 February, 2013, 10:14:19 PM by Giulia Aldobrandeschi »

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #14 on: 11 February, 2013, 05:41:14 PM »
Harald smiled to the young Lady.

Well it seems that we will stay up late” he said smiling. He called a page and after ordered some ale and some tea for the young Lady he eased his glaze on the young lady again.

During my merchant activity I met several people, many of them became friends of mine, but most of all I established good relationship with most of the people I met. One of this people was another merchant, an italian one like you, Giovanni Pignatelli. He was from Naples, funny, smart and we immediately became good friends and had a lot of business together. Once a day I was just arrived here in Brugge from one of my longest journey and I found a letter from Castilla. I tryied to think about who may be the sender, the wax seal was those of the Kingdom. Well, you could imagine my surprise in knowing that my friend has been crowned King of Castilla y Léon! What a news! But my surprise get even more when, reading his letter I understood that he would like me to become his new Secretary of Commerce and Treasury! My first thought was “That damned Neapolitan has gone crazy! But it was true.

The page entered and served the ale and the tea, then bowing he left.

I stayed there for a couple of months, I didn’t thought that I would have ever come back, but one day I received a letter from the former Count of Flanders in which he said to me he was sick and that he would like me to become the new Regent here! Another great surprise to me.