Author Topic: [ORP] Cafe de Brugge  (Read 8349 times)

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
  • Honour: 0
Re: [ORP] Cafe de Brugge
« Reply #15 on: 21 March, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
The young seemed to be a little bit surprised at the first moment then he replied: "Certainly, Your Highness. I am at your service. 'Twas about a year hence, in Lothian. You shared a breakfast with myself and two of my companions. No doubt you would remember Sofie, her beauty was rarely matched in all the world I have seen. And my other companion, a man of the sword. Teodosio. Alas, they both passed this year of the fever."

Harald’s thoughts went immediately to the young blond Lady he met in Wales and Scotland. True one of the most beautiful creature he has ever sought in his life. He was sad to hear that she passed away.

"You asked of my heritage, my name being that of the Northmen. I told you I was mixed Saxon and Danish blood."

Now Harald remember about this young man in front of him, and remembered that he was the beloved on the young Lady.

"I see you have risen obove the merchant class now. It looks good on you."

“Alfred right? Now I remember who you are!” Harald replied. “It was my last business trip in Scotland, not a good one indeed, but things have changed now”.

Harald saw the hindrance of the young man, “May I?” he asked to the man pointing out the chair; then, without waiting for a reply he sat “Me too I was always unprepared on how to behave with Regents, and I think I have never learnt it, especially now that I’m one of them” he said blinking to the man.

“Well, I would like to give the painter of that horror attached at the wall an excuse to do it again! Do you think I’m like that man hang there?” Harald laughed, “I’m twice and I have never dressed myself in such a colorful way! C’mon, I’m a man of the north! I walk among my people dressing a bear fur on my shoulder!” and laughed again.

“Maybe we can talk a little bit while eating something good and refreshing ourselves with good ale, do you?”

(RIP) Aelfred Ulricsson

• General group
« Reply #16 on: 22 March, 2013, 02:55:08 AM »
    "Well. I could certainly eat. And if you need help drinking this Flemish beer, I am certain I could see through to pitching in." Aelfred grinned at the King, now he was discussing a subject Aelfred felt quite confident he was good at, consuming food and alcohol.

"Pray tell me, King Harald. How does one go from a traveling merchant to King in less than a year? And how does one learn all the things a King must know, like how to fight a war, or devise a treaty. It is all far too complex for me. Give me an axe to chop wood or a hoe to break ground and I am in my element, but all this diplomacy, manners and fine clothing, why I'd be a lost soul." He glanced down at his ragged, travel stained shirt and smiled sheepishly.

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #17 on: 25 March, 2013, 03:17:39 PM »
"Pray tell me, King Harald. How does one go from a traveling merchant to King in less than a year? And how does one learn all the things a King must know, like how to fight a war, or devise a treaty. It is all far too complex for me. Give me an axe to chop wood or a hoe to break ground and I am in my element, but all this diplomacy, manners and fine clothing, why I'd be a lost soul."

“Ah! And you’re not alone!” Harald replied smiling. “My tale…” he begun. How many times he made the same question to himself looking for an answer? A reasonable one?

“Well, I don’t know if I’m a good Regent or not, I mean, only the Flemish People could answer to you” Harald started sipping his ale. “I was asked by the former Count if I was interested to succeeded to him, and I really didn’t expect such a question, never...” he thought for a while to the day when he received the letter from Count Jehan. “I was first surprised and then honored by his request, but before to accept it I wanted to be sure about the Flemish People will; so when back here in Flanders I publicly asked to the People if they would have accepted me as their new Count, and here I am.”

He thought to his beginning, the great issues and problems. “Things needed to change, and they did thanks to the great commitment of the Flemish People, its Nobles and its People; here everybody knows that we’re all working to get better this place, our place, our Home. My commitment go to my People, their safety, their growth, no matter about that; everything I did, everything I’m doing follow the path of peace and prosperity for my People. Sure I did mistakes and I’ll do them again, hopefully they’ll be little ones.” He said smiling again to his northern friend.

(RIP) Aelfred Ulricsson

• General group
« Reply #18 on: 03 April, 2013, 01:10:25 AM »
  "Remarkable"  Aelfred replied. "In the same year you have become KIng I have moved mountains of soil, chopped down dozens of trees, mined tons of ore and tended hives to generate gallons and gallons of honey. You have a throne and fine robes to wear, I these soiled clothes and worn out boots." He leaned back and burst out laughing. "And, at the end of the day, I'll bet I am happier and more ready to fall asleep than you."
    "You are indeed an inspiration to all us common folk, yet for me I would not sit in your throne room for all the gold in Europe. I must feel the dirt in my fingernails, hear the buzz of the hives, smell the rain in the forest. I raise this mug to your health and well being, King Harald." At that the young woodsman raised his beer mug, smiling at his dinner companion. "To your success, King Harald"

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #19 on: 03 April, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
Harald listened to what the northern man said and smiled. Then his guest raised his mug  "To your success, King Harald", “To your freedom” he replied.

In the meanwhile the bar maid brought them the dinner: a wonderful roasted deer meat with berries marmalade, cabbage and artichokes with honey and some delicious hot bread just made. “Uh, it seems that some of your honey arrived here” Harald said smiling to his guest.

“You know? You’re right my friend, sometimes I miss the freedom I had before, especially the chance to hunt or swim, sadly my duties keep me very busy most of the time… maybe if you’d stay here in Flanders for a while we could have a hunt together”.

(RIP) Aelfred Ulricsson

• General group
« Reply #20 on: 06 April, 2013, 03:51:07 PM »
     Aelfred's eyes bulged as he saw the meal placed before them. As a struggling peasant, and a man of meager resources he had never been able to indulge in such an outstanding repast. It was not that he had never seen such a feast, having worked in the estate of Sir Simon de MontMallard before the fire took it all. But he had never been allowed to partake, and now he sat with a King before him to share the meal with. Inside he was trembling as he waited for King Harald to start eating.
    "You would go hunting with me, a common woodsman? I would be more than honored to do so, King Harald. You know of course, we English practice with our longbows every day. I am considered by some to be a reasonable shot."
     As the King began to eat Aelfred could not help but dig in heartily. He grinned from ear to ear, and within moments had juice from the venison mixing with honey and marmalade through his dark beard.
    "I have several errands to conclude on the Island, but once they are through I would be more than happy to go hunting with you, Your Highness. Might I call once I return?"
     Aelfred's insides quivered, awaiting the King's response. Should he have agreed immediately? Perhaps he should have said yes, not delayed, but to hunt with a King as your companion was no small matter. He tried to focus on his food while he waited for King Harald's answer.

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #21 on: 09 April, 2013, 03:31:11 PM »
Harald enjoyed the sight of the plate in front of him. Ummhhh it smells in an amazing way, isn’t it? Dear Sir it seems that we’ll have a hard task today in surviving this wonderful deer, ah! Ah!  Then he started to eat smiling to his guest clearly astonished of such a repast.

You would go hunting with me, a common woodsman? I would be more than honored to do so, King Harald. You know of course, we English practice with our longbows every day. I am considered by some to be a reasonable shot.

Uh, well, of course I’ll be happy to go hunt with you, why shouldn’t I be happy to do with you? Then he understood that the man came from another country where the etiquette probably was more present than in his Court. Oh, sorry, I didn’t understand your point, he smiled, well, as I said to you before, I’m still not used so often to follow the etiquette even if my Butler of Palace would like me to be better… well, more regal he said smiling to the man in front of him.

I have several errands to conclude on the Island, but once they are through I would be more than happy to go hunting with you, Your Highness. Might I call once I return?

Of course Sir Aelfred, I would like to hunt with a smart Scottish archer though… I’ve got a bunch of people that will be happy to hunt with us. Do your business and come back here, we’ll go south on the hills, a very beautiful landscape and an amazing place for hunting.

(RIP) Sofie Falkenburg

• General group
  • ~ Fairplay ~
    • ME Sofie Falkenburg
« Reply #22 on: 22 April, 2013, 12:00:57 AM »
Having arrived from Bremen Sofie found a nice inn to spend the night at. After a very relaxing night she prepared herself. Before leaving her chamber she looked out of the window across a nice part of Brugge. The streets were crowded with busy merchants and craftsmen, travellers, women and children. With a smile on her face she looked at the streetlife for a while. I has been a good choice to leave Austria for a while, to get to know other regions, to see other faces and meet people from many other regions.

Only a few minutes later Sofie stepped out on the street and looked around, not sure where to turn.
She decided to stroll through the town and enjoy the sunny day. Having seen the market and the busy harbour she finally came across a small, inviting café called "Café de Brugge". This would be a nice place to have a tea she tought to herself and entered.

(RIP) Aelfred Ulricsson

• General group
« Reply #23 on: 26 April, 2013, 02:36:20 AM »
     Aelfred was smiling at the King, his mouth dribbling some of the delicious venison, when a woman came through the inn door. Immediately Aelfred lost his concentration on King Harald's voice. The young woman was stunning. He swallowed the piece of meat in his mouth absentmindedly and then tried to pry his eyes from the woman as she searched for a place to sit. It had been long since he had seen such beauty, and though his Sofie was gone, he still felt some guilt at recognizing the beauty of another woman.
     The King's words caught his attention once again. "Of course Sir Aelfred, I would like to hunt with a smart Scottish archer though… I’ve got a bunch of people that will be happy to hunt with us. Do your business and come back here, we’ll go south on the hills, a very beautiful landscape and an amazing place for hunting."
     " I shall look forward to our outing with great excitement, Your Highness. And no doubt I will spend as much time with my bow practicing as my errands shall allow. Your time will not disappoint." The last was said distractedly, the vision of the dark haired woman still absorbing Aelfred's thoughts. The woman had found a seat in the far corner, and was now speaking with the serving girl.
    "Your Highness, might I ask who that lovely woman over there might be? If she is an indication of the beauty of Flanders women, perhaps I might see through to moving here permanently. Perhaps you'd remember my Sofie was from here as well."

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #24 on: 29 April, 2013, 02:48:14 PM »
“I shall look forward to our outing with great excitement, Your Highness. And no doubt I will spend as much time with my bow practicing as my errands shall allow. Your time will not disappoint."

Harald smiled to his guest’s reply ‘Well my friend, we’ll see your bow at work on the field, it will be interesting and hopefully we have another juicy deer to eat’.

Harald noted that Sir Aelfred was elsewhere attracted.

"Your Highness, might I ask who that lovely woman over there might be? If she is an indication of the beauty of Flanders women, perhaps I might see through to moving here permanently. Perhaps you'd remember my Sofie was from here as well."

Harald turned his head to take a glance to the young Lady just entered the Café. He didn’t recognize her. Although she was well dressed, but with clothes unusual to see among the Flemish women, that confirmed to Harald she was a foreigner.

‘Uh, I don’t know her Sir Aelfred. But, that won’t be a problem, at the end I’m the Regent, isn’t it?’ without waiting for a reply Harald called the innkeeper with his right hand. The man run to their table ‘Yes, my Liege?’ he asked bowing his head a little. ‘Do you know who is that young lady there?’ the man looked quickly at the young lady, then he replied ‘No, my Lord, I’ve never seen her before; would you like I ask something?’. Harald looked at his guest and then he replied ‘Yes Sir, please tell to young Lady that the Count of Flanders will be delighted to host her to his table’. The innkeeper bow again and then turned towards the young Lady still in the middle of the hall.

(RIP) Sofie Falkenburg

• General group
  • ~ Fairplay ~
    • ME Sofie Falkenburg
« Reply #25 on: 29 April, 2013, 08:07:27 PM »
Sofie was just about to approach a small table near the window as the innkeeper stepped to her, explaining about the invitation to the count's table. Her eyes slightly widened with surprise as she turned her head, looking for a moment to the mentioned place, nodding to the two gentlemen with a friendly smile. Turning back to the innkeeper she thanked him, also offering him a smile.
Count Harald Magnusson himself! Sofie would have never expected to meet him or any other regent in some café, inviting travelling guests to share their table. The young woman took a deep calm breath, now slowly walking towards the count and his companion. Harald Magnusson's name made her assume that he was a northman, at least his anchestors would be. Examining with a quick gaze the appearance and the clothing of the two gentlemen at the table she hoped that she would not fail with her assumption.

Sofie curtsied and bowed her head towards the count, offering him a warm smile again. How to address a count? She would always mix those titles up, she would never get used to courtly manners and salutation. "Count Harald Magnusson, your lordship. It is my pleasure to meet you, even more your invitation, thank you so much." She then nodded to the second gentleman with a friendly smile. "A good day to you, sire." Clearing her throat, trying to swallow down her uncertainty, the young woman turned to the sovereign again. "May I introduce myself: Sofie Falkenburg, humble tailor from the Duchy of Austria."

Still standing in two steps' distance to the table, Sofie curtsied again upon her introduction, waiting for the count's word.

(RIP) Harald Magnusson

• General group
« Reply #26 on: 30 April, 2013, 09:33:41 AM »
Harald looked the innkeeper speaks to the young Lady. He noted her indecision and her surprise, but also her will and good manner when she forced herself to break the ancient rules of the etiquette, accepting the invitation.

"Count Harald Magnusson, your lordship. It is my pleasure to meet you, even more your invitation, thank you so much."

Harald smiled waiting for the young lady to introduce herself.

"May I introduce myself: Sofie Falkenburg, humble tailor from the Duchy of Austria."

Dear Lady Falkenburg, I will be delighted to host you to my humble table, please sit down here’ Harald pointed to the chair. Then without waiting for a reply he added ‘I hope you’ll forgive me for my unconventional manners. I’m still not so used to the etiquette; I’m a man of the north, pretty much used to do rather than to command or manage a Court, even if the Court-Steward insists that I should learn the etiquette… at the end I think he’s right… I mean, I think that is no common to meet a Regent sat in a Café like a commoners, isn’t it?' He said blinking to the young Lady.

Please Lady Falkenburg, forgive me, I’m glad to introduce to you Sir Aelfred Ulricsson from Scotland, another nice foreigner here in Brugge and another host of mine at my table today’.

(RIP) Sofie Falkenburg

• General group
  • ~ Fairplay ~
    • ME Sofie Falkenburg
« Reply #27 on: 30 April, 2013, 06:11:57 PM »
With a faint nod Sofie sat down on the pointed chair. "Thank you very much, your lordship." While sitting down she gently wiped over her skirt as if smoothening the cloth. But rather she dried the palms of her hands, which were a bit clammy due to the excitement of a for her unusual situation.

While listening to the count's words she again tried to examine the sovereign inconspicuously, at least she hoped so. At his explanations about lack of knowledge of the etiquette she could not avoid a soft smirk. "I guess this is something we have in common, if you allow such remark. Indeed, I would have not expected the regent of Flanders sitting in a café. On the other hand it prooves that you are among your people and care about them, I guess."

Offering Harald Magnusson a warm smile Sofie listened to his further words, slowly relaxing a little bit, yet still nervous enough to play with her hands placed on her lap. As the count introduced the other gentleman at the table the young woman turned toward the latter with a friendly smile. "Pleased to meet you, Sir Aelfred Ulricsson. From Scotland? I have never been there but I heard that the landscape must be breathtaking."

(RIP) Aelfred Ulricsson

• General group
« Reply #28 on: 01 May, 2013, 01:41:37 AM »
     Aelfred was stunned when his dinner companion invited the young woman to the table, and then swallowed hard as he saw her accept. She came and bantered with the Count so comfortably, it was obvious she was at least familiar with high born etiquette. This made her that much more intimidating. He watched mesmerized, as the two greeted one another and wondered why his stomach had butterflies. Why could he face down a charging boar, or trade blows with an armored enemy, yet feel so helpless in the face of such a lovely woman.
     As Harald introduced him to the Lady, Aelfred stood, his intention to bow as he believed was most polite. Unfortunately, as often seemed to happen to Aelfred, things did not proceed as he had planned. As he stood his right knee caught on the leg of the heavy oak table, causing him to wince and twist away, and in so doing his elbow caught the recently filled mug of ale on the table and launched it at the woman and the Count. Aelfred, instinctively grabbing his bruised knee, began to turn several shades of red, mumbling apologies and all the while stifling a grunt of pain. Horrified, he knew not what to say. "Hardly the first impression you had wished to make, you fool" he thought to himself. Still not sure what to say, he limped and stumbled round the table, searching for something to help dry the two people before him.
     "Uh, umm, of course, M'Lady. A bit on the cold side for most from the Mainland, but if you can get used to that our landscape is nice enough I guess." Aelfred felt trapped, how much more awkward an answer could he have made. At least the innkeeper and his serving girl were hurrying over to cover for the young woodsman's earlier disaster.
« Last Edit: 07 May, 2013, 01:50:24 AM by Aelfred Ulricsson »

(RIP) Sofie Falkenburg

• General group
  • ~ Fairplay ~
    • ME Sofie Falkenburg
« Reply #29 on: 01 May, 2013, 03:20:07 AM »
Before really recognising what happened, Sofie heard a clunk and in the very next moment felt the sleeve of her dress getting wet. Her head turned abruptly and she raised her hand, trying to keep the mug from rolling off the table ... a hopeless undertaking, as it prooved as the mug fell to the floor, arising even more the attention of all guests and service personnel. Hastily Sofie edged aside a bit with her chair so at least she could avoid her lap being soaked with ale.

A serving maid reached her some cloth to dry her sleeve and as soon as the excitement settled, Sofie rolled her eyes playfully and could not avoid a soft laugh. "Such desaster normally is my part. So thank you, Sir Aelfred for taking over." she tried to play the situation down, while still dabbing her sleeve with the cloth.