Author Topic: Roman Republic vs. Alexxandra D'avalos  (Read 1947 times)

(RIP) Duncan Hamilton

• General group
  • Honour: 0
Roman Republic vs. Alexxandra D'avalos
« on: 19 September, 2012, 01:57:00 AM »
Roman Republic vs. Alexxandra D'avalos

I don't like this court hall. There's strange letters above the entrance that I don't understand and it smells like donkey's pish in here. But my dungone is lacking a smell of rotten flesh so there it goes:

<Duncan unflods a small blood stained and old scroll and reads out>

I, Guard Captain of Rome - Duncan Hamilton, start this trial in the matter of Rome Republic vs Alexxandra D'avalos. The various roles for this Court Case have been assigned by me and will be as follows:

Magistrate: George Killian
Prosecution: James Balliot
Defendant: Alexxandra D'avalos

The Defendant may assign his own Defense Attorney or he may act as his own Defense for this case.

The Prosecution may now proceed with this Court Case by reading the charge and presenting it’s evidence…

Blah, blah blah ... now get on with it and send that rat to my torture chamber!
« Last Edit: 19 September, 2012, 02:29:58 PM by Duncan Hamilton »

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
Re: Roman Republic vs. Alexxandra D'avalos
« Reply #1 on: 19 September, 2012, 02:28:29 PM »
Thank you Sir Duncan.

I will attempt to be brief in my statements during the course of the trial as we know there is a backlog of cases and I shall be a busy man for the next few days.:)

The defendant, Alexxandra D'avalos, of the Italic nation of Naples has been accused of breaking the following Statute of the  Laws of the Roman Republic

Statute 5 - Foreign Soldiers and Enemy Combatants

Proclaimed by: George Killian, Vassal - of
Proclaimed on: 02-July-1312

Article I. Foreign Soldiers - It is unlawful for foreigner soldiers or militia to wear armor or weapons within the city limits.

Those accused will have all of their market items temporarily confiscated from the market and be barred from leaving the city until a trial is convened. Individuals found guilty will be fined 100 silver pieces. Failure to pay the fine will result in two days of imprisonment and permanent confiscation of all the guilty party's market items.

Article II. Enemy Combatants - Any person within the city limits suspected of being an enemy combatant to Rome or her allies may be detained for up to two days while their intentions can be ascertained. Evidence of being an enemy combatant includes, but is not limited to, having previously engaged in battles against Rome or her allies; being a citizen of a country with current or eminent hostile intentions toward Rome or her allies; aligning oneself through words, actions or association with enemies of Rome or her allies.

Those accused will have all of their market items temporarily confiscated from the market and be barred from leaving the city until a trial is convened. Individuals found guilty will be punished by confiscation of all market goods and either three days of imprisonment or fine of 1,500 silver pieces.

As evidence, I will submit Article A:

It is clear by looking at this evidence that the defendant is breaking the law of Statute 5.

The Defense may now proceed with their case...
« Last Edit: 19 September, 2012, 05:03:20 PM by James Balliot »

Alexxandra D'avalos

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #2 on: 19 September, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »
First of all, I protest against this court of justice uneven ..
second thing, and far more important .. I'm not the town of Sardinia ..
but as you can see I'm a citizen of the kingdom of Naples ..
I was returning after working in a mine .. In fact, I do not carry a sword ..
According to your laws .. I am not an enemy

I demand to be released immediately and receive your apology

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 19 September, 2012, 05:17:16 PM »
You are quite correct in the statement that you are a citizen of Naples, not Sardinia. That was a mistake on my part, you must forgive me as I have much prosecuting to do in a very short time so there may be some minor errors here and there occurring which would not if I had more time. I have amended my initial case with the correct information.

Despite this, the fact that you are a citizen of Naples and not Sardinia has no bearing on this case. The law which is in question is Statue 5 not Statute 6. National citizenship does not come into the argument here. The pertinent phrase which we should look at is this one...

Evidence of being an enemy combatant includes, but is not limited to, having previously engaged in battles against Rome or her allies; being a citizen of a country with current or eminent hostile intentions toward Rome or her allies; aligning oneself through words, actions or association with enemies of Rome or her allies.

I've set the pertinent text in bold. As we can see in Article A of the presented evidence, you are a member of the Legione Italica which is a military organization who's charter states...

The Legion Italica is the army of the Confederation of Peoples Italic

If that is not enough evidence for you, then I will submit into evidence Article B:

In this evidence you can see that the defendant took part in a military action against the Republic of Rome. This also satisfies the Statute 5 evidence which I will present again with the appropriate text in bold.

Evidence of being an enemy combatant includes, but is not limited to, having previously engaged in battles against Rome or her allies; being a citizen of a country with current or eminent hostile intentions toward Rome or her allies; aligning oneself through words, actions or association with enemies of Rome or her allies.

And of course the fact that you are carrying a pick instead of a sword matters not, only the fact that you are wearing armor. Again I'll quote Statute 5:

It is unlawful for foreigner soldiers or militia to wear armor or weapons within the city limits.

So clearly you are in violation of this law. You may proceed now with your final defense before the Magistrate gives his verdict.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: 19 September, 2012, 05:49:58 PM by James Balliot »

Alexxandra D'avalos

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #4 on: 19 September, 2012, 07:16:32 PM »
And what you have shown with this?
Have you confirmed that I am a good citizen .. If my city is under attack because Rome wants to raid my city .. I defend .. and so you see my name among the defenders ..  I defend it and not run away like a sewer rat
instead I see your name among the attackers ..
then you..you have to be condemned .. not me

You have attacked Naples .. Naples is not yet in the list of enemy cities .. Your behavior is despicable and I expect that you come convicted of this
« Last Edit: 19 September, 2012, 07:20:13 PM by Alexxandra D'avalos »

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #5 on: 19 September, 2012, 09:04:42 PM »
And what you have shown with this?

Ms. D'avalos, the law in it's basic form simply states that as an enemy of Rome, you may not cross into Rome territory. The evidence and prosecution shows you as an enemy of Rome AND as trespassing in a territory controlled by Rome. You were not fighting in a battle, you were not defending anything, you were trespassing. Therefore we have the right to both restrain and prosecute you as the Laws of the Roman Republic allow.

Your defense is now complete, and we thank you for your participation. This case can now be remitted to the Magistrate for verdict...

(RIP) George Killian

• General group
« Reply #6 on: 19 September, 2012, 09:51:18 PM »
Alexxandra D'avalos you are accused of violating Articles I and II of Statute 5 of Rome's laws.

I have reviewed the evidence presented by the prosecution and weighed your personal testimony in your defense.

Firstly, the evidence presented definitively shows that you are a member of a foreign military or militia. Additionally you have admitted publicly, in this court, that you took part in the defense of Naples and as such belong to its militia.

Article I of Statute 5 states: Foreign Soldiers - It is unlawful for foreigner soldiers or militia to wear armor or weapons within the city limits.

The proof presented shows you wearing armor inside of Rome and thusly have broken the law in regards to Article I of Statute 5.

You are also accused of violating Article II of Statue 5.

Article II of Statue 5 states:  Enemy Combatants - Any person within the city limits suspected of being an enemy combatant to Rome or her allies may be detained for up to two days while their intentions can be ascertained. Evidence of being an enemy combatant includes, but is not limited to, having previously engaged in battles against Rome or her allies; being a citizen of a country with current or eminent hostile intentions toward Rome or her allies; aligning oneself through words, actions or association with enemies of Rome or her allies.

The fact that you took up arms in defense does not factor into the law. The law defines an enemy combatant as any person who has engaged in battle against Rome or her allies. It furthermore states that anyone belonging to a country with current or eminent hostile intentions towards Rome or her allies is also an enemy combatant.

Naples, a country of which you admit belonging to, has previously -- just in the last few days -- declared war on Florence, an ally of Rome. It matters not that Naples was not, at the time of your detainment, specifically listed as an enemy country in our laws. It has been an enemy of Rome as defined by our laws for a while now.

The proof presented shows that you are indeed an enemy combatant to Rome and have thusly have broken the law in regards to Article II of Statute 5.

I hereby find you guilty of the crimes of violating Articles I and II of Statute 5 of the Roman Law and sentence you to three days imprisonment or a fine of 1,500 silver pieces.

In addition you are fined an non-optional fee of 100 silver to be paid immediately (within 72 hours of the end of this trial) for violating Article I of Statue 5. This fee is to be deposited in the Castle in Rome or mailed to George Killian.

p.s. arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
« Last Edit: 19 September, 2012, 09:55:29 PM by George Killian »

(RIP) George Killian

• General group
« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2012, 09:18:10 PM »
Alexxandra D'avalos has fled from Rome after being found guilty on all accounts. Alexxandra D'avalos is now considered a fugitive from Rome. An arrest warrant has already been issued.