Author Topic: A Visitor in a distant City  (Read 8040 times)

(RIP) Charlotte Seymour

• General group
  • Honour: 0
Re: A Visitor in a distant City
« Reply #30 on: 01 August, 2012, 05:12:23 PM »
Charlotte heard David and nodded quietly. She accepted his help and once stood straightened her dress, her maid appearing from nowhere, fussing to put a shawl round her shoulders. Charlotte held her shawl to her and waved the maid away. The last thing Charlotte wanted was her maid being her shadow. Since leaving London Charlotte had felt even more oppressed with being stuck on the ship for the journey over the channel. She wanted to walk and relax, and she hoped the trust she was putting in David was not misplaced.

Lead the way, Charlotte said quietly to David, following him outside.

Once outside Charlotte waited for her eyes to readjust to the change in light. Looking round she smiled. On arriving the previous evening she must have had her eyes shut. She remembered bery little, almost wondering if she had woken in another world. A little disorientated Charlotte slipped her hand through David's arm, conscious of the uneven roadway on which they stood.

You don't mind I hope, she said quietly, her voice revealing some shyness. Charlotte looked around them, avoiding David's eye knowing he would see her confusion. The architecture of the buildings caught her eye, and she smiled in appreciation. Turning her head she looked along the cobbled road that led out of town.

I missed all this when I arrived last night. Which way are we going... to get to the valley? Charlotte asked David, smiling, feeling relaxed.

« Last Edit: 01 August, 2012, 07:36:43 PM by Charlotte Seymour »

(RIP) David von Habsburg

• General group
  • Honour: 1
  • The world is not enough
« Reply #31 on: 02 August, 2012, 06:20:32 AM »
As Charlotte slipped her hand through David’s arm, he felt a warm flush flooding his face. He quickly turned to face the other way. Erm we will head East. David felt his voice shaking a little.

Charlotte’s hand felt soft and her grip was gentle – when David recovered from the surprise he took the other hand and squeezed Charlotte’s hand gently. He stole a glance of Charlotte and saw her beautiful smile. It was a miracle that David didn’t trip, for his eyes were fixated on hers for a while. You look beautiful, Charlotte. David whispered, almost like a sigh. He knew he was going to blush (and perhaps her too) and quickly turned his attention back to the journey. Had they been stationary, David probably would have kissed Charlotte, he realized shortly after, with a tinge of regret.

The journey was, as David promised, very short. Perhaps too short for his liking – for with Charlotte’s hand holding on to his arm, he felt like he could walk the whole of Europe. Buildings flashed by in a blur, and the grey-white colour of the picture changed gradually into green and blue. The cobbled road led them to a small hill, and David led Charlotte up the hill, holding on to her hand.

The scenery was beautiful.

(RIP) Charlotte Seymour

• General group
« Reply #32 on: 02 August, 2012, 09:14:32 AM »
Charlotte saw the colour in David's face and realised she had caught him off guard. She began to pull her arm back, then stopped herself. She did not wish to draw attention to this. It was her turn to blush when David actually squeezed her other hand, his grip gentle. Walking beside him Charlotte looked around, her eyes very aware of where they were walking, placing her feet carefully, not wanting to trip.

Hearing his whisper Charlotte turned her head and looked at David silently. She was stunned. She had only just heard the sound as he breathed it out, but his words hit her hard. Charlotte's foot slipped slightly and her grip on his arm firmer to keep from falling, returning her eyes to where they were, getting her balance. Embarrassed at her clumsiness Charlotte went red.

As they continued Charlotte saw the buildings end, and the scenery around them became lush and green. The final bit of the walk was up hill and a little harder than Charlotte had expected. She was glad when they came to a stand still, and she looked around them, the colours and scenery eye catching, beautiful.

It's beautiful, Charlotte said, her voice low. She turned her eyes to David and smiled at him. So this is where you came yesterday eve... You founf yourself a lovely area. I would never have known it was here.

Charlotte blushed, realising she was rambling, and freeing her hand she turned around to admire the view, berating herself to calm down. Without realising it Charlotte pulled her shawl tighter around herself, feeling a coolness in the air despite the sun.
« Last Edit: 02 August, 2012, 09:19:28 AM by Charlotte Seymour »

(RIP) David von Habsburg

• General group
« Reply #33 on: 02 August, 2012, 11:33:04 AM »
The intruding breeze robbed David of Charlotte's hand but gave David an excuse to put his hand around Charlotte's slender waist, pulling her a little nearer. The fabric of her dress felt soft (could it be silk?) and her body heat rivaled that which flooded his cheeks.

It wasnt as beautiful yesterday - partly because the flowers' colors were dimmed by the dark, and partly because you werent here. Well you see, the flowers can sense a beautiful lady and they rush to show their best colors and scent when she is near - such is the purpose of flowers dont you think? David felt comfortable enough to be cheeky. And not only did i find a lovely area, i found a lovely girl. If I had known that she were here, I would have been here 10 years ago!

The cool breeze took with it the faint fragrance of Charlotte's hair, but her hair were bound up and David found himself wishing that she would let her hair down and let it flow with the wind. How lovely would that be? He whispered in his heart.

Should we sit by that tree? David suggested, worried that Charlotte may be tired from the walk.
« Last Edit: 02 August, 2012, 12:34:19 PM by David Von Hapsburg »

(RIP) Charlotte Seymour

• General group
« Reply #34 on: 02 August, 2012, 01:49:32 PM »
Charlotte was shocked as she felt his arm go around her waist and she looked at him quietly with an odd look in her eyes, unsure how to react apart from to slap him for having the nerve to touch her with such familiarity. Lowering her eyes Charlotte simply removed his arm from her waist and stepped back.

If you don't mind, she said, her voice low, glancing at him with slight anger in her eyes. Looking to where David had pointed she nodded. A sit down would be good, she thought to herself.  Quietly Charlotte stepped over, and looking at the area wondered how dirty her skirt would get. As a thought came to her Charlotte listened to David, removing her shawl and covered some grass, sitting down carefully, still not sure how to let him know there was a limit to how much he would get away with. She had met him only the evening before and he behaved as though they were familiar.

You're very brave in your words. Just try to remember... Charlotte stopped, unsure how to vocalise what was in her mind. 

It is pretty here... You like the outdoors?
she said, changing the subject. Charlotte glanced at David shyly. She was not sure of him. His words made her nervous even if she did not feel threatened.
« Last Edit: 02 August, 2012, 07:32:23 PM by Charlotte Seymour »

(RIP) David von Habsburg

• General group
« Reply #35 on: 03 August, 2012, 04:01:36 AM »
David felt a sharp stab of loss when Charlotte removed his arm from her waist. His heart sank a little, but her look of annoyance reminded him that this was the same lady who sneered at him the night before. David sighed a little, knowing that he had probably pushed a little too far.

Remember what? In his despair David kept quiet but duly sat down beside her. Ashamed of his behaviour and grateful that she had consented to spending more time with him, David did nothing but stare at the endless fields of flowers, yet not registering any colour in his head.

He sensed Charlotte's glance upon him after asking him the question, and without turning he nodded. Yeah it makes me feel less alone, having trees, flowers and rocks as brothers and sisters. You see, I have only myself in this world. David was very surprised at how wild his mood has swung from just a few minutes ago - perhaps the intimacy he felt towards Charlotte being crushed by her subtle rejection made him feel as though the trees are mocking his loneliness. He didn't like to feel lonely. Thats why he made lots of friends, talked to many people - just to mask his inner sense of lack.

Get a grip on yourself, David told himself. He took a deep breathe and returned the strained smile to his face, facing Charlotte - to assure her that he is alright. Please forgive me, I promise I will behave myself.
« Last Edit: 03 August, 2012, 09:14:03 AM by David Von Hapsburg »

(RIP) Charlotte Seymour

• General group
« Reply #36 on: 03 August, 2012, 09:32:02 AM »
Charlotte was quiet after sitting. She heard David's words and did not reply immediately. She was troubled by something and tried to think how her mother or father would have behaved, but did not like the thought knowing she should get up and return to the tavern. Charlotte looked at David quietly, his last words loud in her head.

David?
Charlotte asked, finally deciding to let it drop, to ignore the misunderstanding, wanting to say something but not. She looked at him and frowned, thinknig he hides a different side to his character, that he is not just the clumsy uncouth person shown so far. She was intrigued slightly.

When do you have to return to Austria?
she asked curiously. It was only then that she was distracted by the colours around them. Turning her head she looked at the flowers, the field of colour. Charlotte could lose herself here, she realised. It was beautiful. She chuckled to herself that she could have not noticed this when they arrived, but then she remembered why and loked at David sobering up, becoming serious again.

Charlotte brushed the same strand of hair from her face thinking her maid had done a poor job that morning.

I have no family,
Charlotte started to say, unsure of herself revealing anything about herself to this man. They left me an inheritance... its supposed to ensure my 'happiness', she said scathingly thinking how it instead controlled her, made some think that as she was noble that she was useful. She wanted people to like her for herself, not for money or power, or anything else. She sighed and looked down thinking how it did not mean she had friends. She had no close friends and the look in her eyes was of sadness.
« Last Edit: 03 August, 2012, 09:34:28 AM by Charlotte Seymour »

(RIP) David von Habsburg

• General group
« Reply #37 on: 03 August, 2012, 11:32:00 AM »
I might have to go back to Austria soon. We have a busy season coming. David said solemnly. What about you? When will you return to England?

Upon hearing that Charlotte has no family, David pouted a little, I understand how lonely that feels. And I suppose the inheritance doesnt make you happy, or less lonely? I am a poor man with nothing in my pockets, but I have the sky as my roof and the flowers for my bed - I am happy that way. Money bothers me not. David said, facing the great wide valley.

Charlotte was silent and David became curious enough to turn to face her. Charlotte was looking down, and looked a little sad; but David wouldnt dare to touch her hands nor pat her shoulder.

David turned his eyes back away from Charlotte. The wind stopped blowing, and the day was getting a little hot. David feared that an awkward silence will fill the void left by the breeze.
« Last Edit: 03 August, 2012, 01:18:45 PM by David Von Hapsburg »

(RIP) Charlotte Seymour

• General group
« Reply #38 on: 03 August, 2012, 03:38:52 PM »
Charlotte nodded as David said he would have to return to Austria. She envied him that need. She did not share it. She had no demands on her now. Sighing Charlotte looked at David.

I won't be returning to England, Charlotte said firmly, her voice shaking a little. I have no reason to return... I sent a missive last night of my resignation as Vassal and I would imagine the Queen will receive it soon enough.

Charlotte moved, having become uncomfortable where she sat, and looking away from David she stood up slowly, reaching to pick up her shawl and shaking it off before wrapping it round her shoulders.

Can we walk please? she asked quietly. I need to stretch my legs. I... Charlotte stopped, unsure of what she intended to say to him, yet wanting to express herself. She frowned slightly.

Having an inheritance means people expect things of you, demands, requests... People are your friend because they think you useful, Charlotte said sadly, averting her eyes while she composed herself, too close to tears for her own comfort.

I don't know where I'll go. I have nowhere... I don't know,
Charlotte turned to face David, looking distantly at him.

(RIP) David von Habsburg

• General group
« Reply #39 on: 03 August, 2012, 07:27:47 PM »
David was shocked when Charlotte mentioned that she has resigned as vassal. But he shrugged it off - money and status matter little to David.

He nodded when Charlotte asked him if they may walk. But Charlotte moved too fast and David missed the chance to help her up like a gentleman.
Weather is getting hot, would you like to walk back to the tavern? Lunch might be ready soon.

As Charlotte spoke of the troubles she got as a result of her inheritance and that she didnt know where to go, David nodded in sympathy. Just then the breeze came back again, and blew straight into David's face - urging him to follow his heart. David summoned enough energy to stretch out his hands and gently held Charlotte's, looking into her eyes.

I will never treat you as a friend because you are useful, Charlotte. I care about you as a person, as a friend, and i want to get to know you better. If you dont mind, perhaps you may visit humble Austria? Treat it as a holiday perhaps?

(RIP) Charlotte Seymour

• General group
« Reply #40 on: 03 August, 2012, 10:26:41 PM »
Charlotte glanced at the sky above them and smiled. It was warming up, and unlike earlier the breeze was warm. Charlotte's shawl was draped around her shoulders loosely, and she waited for David to get up before she spoke.

Yes I think we should walk back... Charlotte consented, looking around her for a last view, putting the scene to her memory, to look back on when she remembered today.

Charlotte listened as David spoke on, her face showing her surprise at his words, he catching her hand in his. Charlotte tensed automatically to withdraw her hands sharply from his grip, but the look in his eyes, the tone of his voice made her pause, and she listened. Blushing Charlotte heard his sincerity, the request... she was stunned.

I... I... Charlotte tried to speak, embarrassed, confused. It seemed this man was never going to stop surprising her. His declaration made her head ache. She blushed. He liked her as a person... friend... She could not grasp what was happening to her. She had known him such a short time... but he wanted to know her better? Charlotte opened her mouth to speak again before shutting it and looking down at her hands, the touch warm, gentle...

Austria is far from here... I need to think, Charlotte said finally, her voice a whisper, shaking. She was angry at herself for showing weakness, and looked at him with mixed feelings. What had this man done to her? Charlotte knew she should pull her hands back, should walk away... but she did not, could not.

I want to go back to the tavern, now,
she said clearly, glancing at her hands, then him. Take me back to the tavern... I need to think. Then I will decide.

Charlotte held her head up, her back straightening, as she remembered herself, but her hands stayed, the heart she ignored for the most part, fighting with her common sense.

(RIP) David von Habsburg

• General group
« Reply #41 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:37:38 PM »
David noticed the intense emotional struggle that Charlotte went through - and reminded himself never to betray the trust that she was putting in him. I understand that you need to think. Dont rush into any decision. And right, lets go back to the tavern now. David held on to Charlotte's hand as they walked back to the tavern, and the sense of intimacy that he felt during the journey blurred the scenery around him - he couldnt focus on so many things when his whole mind was filled with the gentle grip of Charlotte's hand and the smoothness of her skin, right?

When they reached the tavern, Lars came running. David, David! There is an urgent message from Austria, delivered by a pigeon! As Lars ran over, David anticipated that Charlotte might withdraw her hand, and so he gently let go of her, giving her hand a slight squeeze of reassurance before letting go. David ran towards Lars and received a piece of paper from him, after thanking him.

The letter was from the king of Austria - and the handwriting was the scrawl that David had gotten used to.

David, we need you back here immediately for the expansion campaign of Austria. Ostrava, Morava, and Trencin need conquering right away and we need you here now.
Friedrich.

David glanced at Charlotte - worried that she might be angry with him - he promised to stay one or two days and after just one morning David needed to rush off? That wasnt the best way to show that he was trustworthy... And he was intending to spend the rest of the day and the next morning talking to Charlotte, to know her better and let her know him better. At this point, he didnt know whether she would be willing to travel to a foreign faraway land with a stranger, and yet David was sure that he didnt want to lose her. If he had a choice, he will never want to leave Charlotte again.

But David had to leave.
« Last Edit: 04 August, 2012, 06:41:40 PM by David Von Hapsburg »

(RIP) Charlotte Seymour

• General group
« Reply #42 on: 04 August, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
Charlotte felt her hand in his burning with the gentle hold and she nodded to David when he agreed they needed to go to the tavern. As they walked Charlotte was very aware of their closeness, and very conscious of the importance of the decision she needed to make. This man had caused such turmoil in such a short space of time.

The walk to the tavern was a quiet affair, and during it Charlotte thought hard, reminding herself she had no responsibilities and could go where she liked. However she was a woman alone, and this had proved interesting as she had travelled to Brugge with little more than a maid who was so scared of her she proved not to be a companion. Glancing at David she smiled slightly, feeling she would be safe with him, and he intrigued her.

As they approached the tavern Charlotte saw the big lumbering cart man come running towards them and she drew in her breath, intimidated, only just feeling the squeeze on her hand  before David released it. She stayed quietly beside David as he took a note and read. She saw the expression on his face and with concern looked down at the letter in his hand. It seemed short, and gently she reached out a hand to take the letter from him and read quickly, looking up at him with a look of sheer pain in her eyes as she realised he was leaving.

You need to leave,
Charlotte said, her voice low, almost a whisper, handing back his letter. Her mind went back to his earlier request and she felt physically ill. Stay or go with him. So simple an option, and yet such a big one.

I will come with you,
she said with finality, determination that she ahd not felt in a long time. Charlotte's cheeks held a gentle blush as she realised what she was saying. She knew propriety yelled at her to stay, to remember her position, and yet she now held none. Do you want to go as soon as our things are packed? she asked quietly, reaching out her hand to lay it momentarily on his arm, concern at his silence.

(RIP) David von Habsburg

• General group
« Reply #43 on: 04 August, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »
When Charlotte took the letter from David's hands, he felt as though Charlotte was taking control over his life - it was a special feeling. He felt as though he is no longer the only person in the world - Charlotte was now another significant stakeholder. Someone who will care. And he almost died of joy when Charlotte told him that she was going to travel to Austria with him.

For a while David was speechless, so touched and grateful that he was almost going to cry. Her gentle touch and question reminded him that this was no dream - it was reality - and he beamed.
Yes let us pack our things and leave immediately.

He put his hand over Charlotte's and asked her whether she needed a rest. She shook her head gently, and David speculated that she was probably tired, but hid it as she was concerned for him and his responsibilities. David was touched.

They promised to meet at the tavern door after packing up. Soon David was down, saying his farewells to Lars, while waiting for Charlotte and her maid.

(RIP) Charlotte Seymour

• General group
« Reply #44 on: 04 August, 2012, 07:32:57 PM »
Charlotte had walked into the tavern with David and hurried to her room where she had found the maid doing nothng, jumping as Charlotte entered and looking guilty. Charlotte waved her off and explained briefly they were going to Austria, and seeing the maid's startled expression she had stopped talking. She suddenly realised how far away from the only home the maid had ever known and now she was telling her she was going into a world unknown to her.

If you would rather return to England I will leave you money to do that, Charlotte relented quietly, feeling a little scared that she was going to venture on alone. The maid's look of relief on her face was answer enough to Charlotte and she instructed her to help her pack. Once Charlotte's cases were packed she had them carried down for her, giving the maid money and strict instructions.

Outside Charlotte saw David was ready, and with him Lars.

Lars, please see that my maid is on the first ship back to England, Charlotte asked him, avoiding David's eye as she did. She was not sure what he would be thinking now, and knew she would reveal her growing panic wondering if she had been rash just a little in all this.

Turning to David finally, after wishing her maid a safe journey she tried to smile. Are we ready now? she asked nervously.