Author Topic: Angus Macpharlen arrives in Brugge  (Read 1964 times)

(RIP) Angus Macpharlen

• General group
  • Baby Member
  • Honour: 0
Angus Macpharlen arrives in Brugge
« on: 11 May, 2012, 07:06:18 PM »
  On the morning of May 11, a ship is seen coming into the harbor. From the sailors actions and language, it is clear that this ship has sailed from Scotland. Down the gangplank comes a brawny and muscular man. This man gives a few coins to the captain of the ship and walks onto the docks. Stopping a nearby sailor, this man says to him,
"'ello, I'm Angus Machparlen coming 'ere to help with yer army, you wouldn't be able ta point me to the barracks now, would ye?"
 Receiving some basic directions from the sailor, Angus starts walking into the city.

(RIP) Jehan Desains

• General group
  • Not for oneself, but for others.
Re: Angus Macpharlen arrives in Brugge
« Reply #1 on: 11 May, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
After making dozens of tools in the outer regions, King Jehan Desains of Flanders returns to the Capital, to sell his goods. Upon arrival, he meets Angus Macpharlen.

Good afternoon good sir and welcome to Flanders.
King Enderson has notified me you'll be replacing Alfonz De Gaul as the new Guard Captain, thus I've already sent word to my Vassal to appoint you.

There are some matters to discuss, but I think you'd prefer seeing the local tavern first, to lavish your thirst and feed the wolves growling in your belly.
We have some delicious soups and the local monasteries make superb beers.

If you have any questions, do ask. I'm here to assist.
Every post is honorable in which a man can serve his country.

(RIP) Angus Macpharlen

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #2 on: 11 May, 2012, 09:22:18 PM »
Upon seeing King Jehan coming to greet him, Angus bows respectfully. Straightening back up, Angus listens to Jehan say his peice, then replies saying,
"Thank ye for yer kind welcome yer highness, I think I'll take yer advice and take a trip down to the tavern."

With that, Angus nods to Jehan and walks down to the nearby tavern.

(RIP) Jehan Desains

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 12 May, 2012, 07:57:49 AM »
Sitting at a table, Jehan orders some of the finest beers:

Goedendag herbergier. 2 Westvleteren voor ons al je wilt.

Turning to Angus, while paying the innkeeper:

You should try this one. It may be a bit strong, compared to the Sottish ales, but you'll surely enjoy the taste.
Now, tell me, do you have any ideas as per the military reformation?

(RIP) Angus Macpharlen

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #4 on: 12 May, 2012, 07:08:02 PM »
Accepting the mug from Jehan, Angus grins and says,

"Well it probably cain't compete with our scots ale, but It'll get the job done anyways"

Leaning back in his chair, Angus takes a sip from the mug. Setting the mug back down, Angus turns to Jehan with a pleasant look and says,

"Weell, about those army reforms, I've noticed things in the army 'ere are pretty laxed. I think that We should make sure that the people who are doing the most work get the most credit, and support."

Pausing for a moment to take another sip from his mug, Angus continues,

"I think we should 'ave a regular army made up of people who are ready at all times, we make sure that they have the right equipment. The other fighters who'll come out if'n there is a big need, like if'n someone were to attack us, they'd be in a militia. The so'deirs in the militia would be responsible fer their own weapons an' armour."

with a small nod, Angus adds on,

"O' course, the militia would be welcome ta join the army whenever we're doin' somthing."

Taking a bit of a longer drink from his mug, Angus reaches up to wipe his face, then looks back at Jehan.

(RIP) Jehan Desains

• General group
« Reply #5 on: 12 May, 2012, 09:42:28 PM »
Indeed, I was thinking the same. I'd like every person age 30 and above, to join the local militia. They would be responsible for defending the region, and to report any sightings of criminals, to assist the local guard captains. They would be responsible for their own armaments.

The more capable citizens would join a regular army, to conquer nearby regions, and defend non-local regions. They are required basic armaments.

Next, there is the professional army. This group would consist of the 30 strongest warriors, including the guard captain responsible for leading the army and myself. This group is expected to have the best weapons and armour available. Conquests, defences and supporting allies would be their tasks.

Finally, the foreign armies, to support our own armies if requested. Though at the moment, we can only form 1 army.

An other matter would be the production of these armaments. A few citizens would work on this, to provide the necessary goods at decent prices. This could in fact start by next month, once we have all the iron for the training grounds.

Finally, I would like our warriors to be recognised for their achievements. Ribbons, medals and titles for those who do their part. For example, joining a battle, doing the most damage in a single hit, doing the most damage in total, the number of enemies defeated, the damage done, damage received, being incapacitated, any foreigners assisting, etc.

We have plenty of regions to conquer though...

(RIP) Angus Macpharlen

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #6 on: 13 May, 2012, 04:13:19 AM »
OOC
I will be drifting out of my RP now, since it would be more difficult to discuss otherwise.

I think that you plan would work well with the three different armies, just because we only have one guard captain at the moment doesn't mean we can't have three army groups.

As far as Ribbons, Medals, and Titles, I think the titles (in the form of ranks) would be the easiest to do:
Captain (The Guard Captain, would be in direct charge of the Professional army, would take commands from the King)
Lieutenant (Would be in command of the regular army, taking orders from the Captain. If we had two Guard Captains the second one would be Lieutenant)
Sergeant (would be in command of the local militia, also taking orders from the Captain)
Lancepesade (Veteran soldiers)

Also, for acts of valor, and uncommon zeal, you (the King) could Knight them (maybe giving them a number of Doubloons).

As for Ribbons, Medal, and other military decorations, they didn't really exist in the medieval time period. The Romans used them, then the next time they were used was in the 17th or 18th century. We base our system on the roman system, or we could form our own awards.

Roman military decorations are listed and explained at:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/List-of-Roman-military-decorations-and-punishments/138697092825993?sk=wiki

(RIP) Jehan Desains

• General group
« Reply #7 on: 13 May, 2012, 09:04:11 AM »
OOC:

There are quite a few things in this game which aren't according to history. Like an independent Flanders, for example.

My goal is to present a sign of appreciation and recognition to those who fight. Like the medals you get through the game for fighting battles. "recruit", "soldier", "veteran", etc.

So unrefined examples:
- fighting 1 native in service of Flanders grants you a very basic ribbon, a symbol of initiation. It could be called "First Blood", for example.
- fighting 10, 25, 50, 100, 250, 500, 750, 1000+ natives could grant further ribbons in terms of experience, like "Bloodied", "Veteran", "Champion of Flanders", etc.
- dealing the highest damage in a single strike, in 1 battle, could grant you a ribbon of "Divine Justice", as symbol that theos gave the person strength to defeat the foe.
- repeating this in 5, 10, 20, 35, 50+ battles could give you ribbons in terms of being blessed. "Theos' Emissary", "Theos' Calling", "The Reaper", etc.
- joining a battle, even if you don't get to fight, gives you recognition for being present.
etc.

Things like that.

(RIP) Angus Macpharlen

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #8 on: 14 May, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
OOC:

Alright, what do you think of this for organization:

Armies:
Professional Army
Must have at least 10 strength, or be in the Order of the Lion to join, get the best weapons and armour, will be in all the military actions possible.

Regular Army
The current De Klauwaards, conquer nearby regions, defend  non-local regions.

Militia
Everybody age 30 and above, defend local region.

Ranks:
Captain (The Guard Captain, would be in direct charge of the Professional army, would take commands from the King)

Lieutenant (Would be in command of the regular army, taking orders from the Captain. If we had two Guard Captains the second one would be Lieutenant)

Sergeant (would be in command of the local militia, takes commands from the Vassal)

Decorations:

kills(The larger one taking precedence)
Recruit      1 kill
Man-at-arms   5 kills
Veteran      15 kills
Yeoman      30 kills
Lancepesade   50 kills
King's Guard   75 kills
Champion of Flanders100 kills

biggest hit in the battle(awarded once)
Order of the Lion

total damage in one battle(you can get one at a time, starting with the Medal of Ability)
Medal of Ability  100 damage
Medal of Fortitude  300 damage
Medal of Heroism     500 damage
Cross of Chivalry    600 damage

battles(term of service award)
minor service diploma   5 battles
regular service diploma   10 battles
extended service diploma25 battles
master service diploma   50 battles
« Last Edit: 14 May, 2012, 07:49:55 PM by Angus Macpharlen »