Author Topic: The battle of Sevilla - an homage to Jordan Miller  (Read 332 times)

Freyia Varano

• General group
  • Honour: 0
  • Ad astra per aspera!
The battle of Sevilla - an homage to Jordan Miller
« on: 23 December, 2018, 10:28:04 PM »
She had travelled from far and as quickly as she could, stopping only to sleep for an hour and feed the horse carrying her from the lost battle of León. The defeat had been tough and disheartening, but there was no time to waste, she was needed in Sevilla for a very important mission. The plan had been formed, carefully prepared and should be ready to execute. The Lusitana wondered if the others would make it to Sevilla in time for a quick meeting before the plan was set in motion. She wanted everything to go well, her peace of mind depended on it.

Upon arriving in Sevilla, she saw no other Iberian, but already four invaders waiting for her. She knew them all from previous battles, her mind quickly flashing their names so she would not forget them: Fyodor Dolgorukij, Valkon Gorthauer, Natasha Kerensky and Svatomir Brodnik.

She surveyed her surroundings and saw a flash of light from the trees. They were here and they were ready. The plan was in motion, she would play her part to perfection and be victorious. No other option was acceptable. It was time to bring him home.

OFF: This topic is an homage to Jordan Miller, former Vassal of Sevilla, who quit the game when the war started. Anyone is welcome to participate, but please, keep it respectful. No matter what your opinion of him was, he was dear to Iberians and did a lot for Iberian lands. This is our homage to a great citizen and one of the best players we've been fortunate to meet./OFF

Teodoro Sidonio

• General group
Re: The battle of Sevilla - an homage to Jordan Miller
« Reply #1 on: 24 December, 2018, 08:13:08 PM »
Bucefalo stopped short before Seville. The donkey had trotted for two whole days, allowing himself only a few rest breaks. Teodoro just limited himself to being transported, leaving the beast the freedom to follow his instinct.
"Well, let's see where you've brought me in. If your nose is still what it used to be, Freyia should be around"
Teodoro came down from the donkey and advanced a little in the dark. After about ten paces, he saw a woman in armor proceeding cautiously through the trees. The golden coat of arms of the Varano stood out against the black metal of hers armor. Freyia was so focused on peering through the leaves that she did not notice the prelate. When he was three paces away, Teodoro whispered "My sister, I believe I have understood what leads here, in the enemy's territory, and in order to do what you are intended to do, you also need a priest, so I followed you."

Alexander VII

• General group
  • Honour: 1
  • When sinking, PRAY! -While good hands bail water!
« Reply #2 on: 24 December, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »
The small church in Sevilla had been a quiet refuge for prayer and meditation for nearly a month now. Not nearly enough time as I had hoped. The world was changing, darker, more sinister by the day. Knowing it was also coming with more churches being lost hurt me to the core as well. Even as recent as two days ago vandals had struck even here.

In all that time there was only one other moment of levity and brightness. There had been a brief introduction to the lord of the region. A good man of conscience. He had been riding toward a battle though. I, Janus Alexander Valerius had hoped to meet more with him but had not heard more since he rode off that day.
« Last Edit: 29 December, 2018, 05:45:25 PM by Alexander VII »
Faith Defines All Things; their remembrances clearly defined make them living custom.

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 25 December, 2018, 01:55:46 AM »
It took her so long to recover...too many battles, one after the other, to many regions of her dear land lost without the chance to fight for them.
The enemy came from the dark East, with their black weapons and armors got in another world, brought here by means of sorcery. They were using weapons that could not be crafted in this world. That was not fair.
 They were so many... and she was so tired...

Still wounded and weak, got some travel rations, and sailed from Burgos, around the peninsula until she reached the south, the streit of Gibraltar, narrow , only thirteen kilometers between Iberia and north Africa.

She didn´t dare to disembark in Sevilla´s coast alone. Now, it was enemy´s territory, invaded by the beasts from the east, those invincible warriors whose life was devoted to follow blindly their leaders, whatever they commanded. People who thought they were in this world to teach lessons to others. That 100 easterns gathered to fight is not special, because they are programmed to obey since they are born, like machines. That 10 westerns gather  and agree to fight together is 100 times worth, because everybody here has his own opinion and the freedom to choose his own path.

Gracia just waited in the sea watching the seashore for some sign, some lights inland that could guide her. She had something to do.

Enrique Mendoza

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #4 on: 25 December, 2018, 09:34:19 AM »
An owl watched them, it was a group perched among the foliage.  There they were, a group of southerners who knew the area well, trying not to attract attention. Even so they were hidden among the trees waiting for the agreed moment, expectant. Nothing could fail. Suddenly the owl took flight and in the wasteland horse hooves were heard.

There they were, the invaders. Only four of the horde of the army that was invading Castile. The bulk of the army was fighting north on the road to the race to Burgos. They had left this group in the rearguard to defend any possible reconquest. The invaders took Seville quickly when Granada fell. It was so fast that there was no time to rescue anything, much less the body of a great warrior that died a little after of defense of Almeria for injuries received in . They had decided to rescue him. They would not leave him there because he asked to be taken to Portugal before he died, and they would fulfill their last will.

The moon was bright, giving great clarity to the cold night of December. That would not help them. Maybe if they wait one day we could have a night more according to the necessary subterfuge. In that he was thinking when he saw the invaders turn their heads to the way. They had their visors up and he could perceive their smiles. They should be grateful to have something to entertain themselves on that cold night. They lowered the visors of their helmets and lined up side by side, getting ready to receive to who was coming down the road towards the castle.

It was the signal. One of the shadows in the trees extended his arm and made a sign. All began to run stealthily in the thicket in the direction of the castle. There was no time to lose.

Freyia Varano

• General group
  • Ad astra per aspera!
« Reply #5 on: 29 December, 2018, 02:07:45 AM »
She jumped at Teodoro's words, she had not heard him approach her. She turned to him and smiled a tight smile, before whispering so that only he could hear her words.

Brother Teodoro, I am glad to see you here. The Order is needed today for a special service, I am sure you can understand what I am refering to. It is time to make this right, it is time for him to rest properly. I ask, however, that you stay hidden. The Sevillians are here and they know this land better than our opposers; they will know how to proceed. I will need you later, for sure, so please be safe. Should I fail and fall on the field, please follow them. Make sure he gets to lusitan lands undisturbed.

She waited for his confirmation and then procceeded to walk calmly until the edge of the battlefield, where their opposers were waiting.

Enrique Mendoza

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #6 on: 30 December, 2018, 06:06:18 AM »
They ran as fast as possible. The moon followed them among the branches of the trees.
Leaving the copse, he stopped by the trunk of the tree to take a last look at the area where the invaders had been. They were not seen. Everything was going according to plan. He looked towards the castle. He knew that it was empty because he had been informed that nobody else was in the area. He decided to go around the castle a bit so as not to climb over the wall in front of the road and they could be seen if the invaders returned before.

They stopped short, to their surprise the bridge was low. For a second he doubted if that was not a trap. But there was no more time for doubts, he made signs to his people to advance and at the race they crossed the bridge entering the castle. Another time came to a halt in the semidarkness of the guard room to watch out beyond. From the guard's window he could see the courtyard empty and only the moonlight flooded everything. He looked at the door next to the armory in front of the stables and everything was in darkness.

I look at one of their own

- Go to the stable and see if there are horses.

He turned to the rest and signaled to move forward.

They ran across the courtyard to the room that served as a hospital next to the armory. With a knock on the door they entered with weapons in their hands, but there was no one.
On a wooden table was he. Wrapped in a white sheet and shrouded with gold cord. The body was ready to be buried. They approached and carried him on his shoulder as he was.
In that arrive the two men who had gone to the barn.

- There are two horses, we saddle them.
- Theos bless us! Come on! -

Running out of the place to the stable, the two horses were saddled by the entrance. He put the body crossed on the back of a chestnut. He gave the rein to one of their own.

- Go the two and take him to Lisbon, do not stop until you arrive.
- Please sir, you go, we cover you.
- I will not leave and I will not leave my friends alone in this, obey and do not stop. The Queen may need us to get out of here. I will not say it again. Get out at once!

Without saying more the two riders left the Castle crossing the rake and the bridge. Turning on a different path than the one facing the castle.

The rest of the Southerners left the castle and looked at the road. Nothing was seen although they assumed that the fight was taking place along the way.
They ran towards the forest and the thicket engulfed them.

From a battlement an owl took off. Leave off the silhouette of its figure stamped on the white moon.

Alexander VII

• General group
  • Honour: 1
  • When sinking, PRAY! -While good hands bail water!
« Reply #7 on: 30 December, 2018, 12:26:37 PM »
Hoofbeats?

At this hour?

The small city had been a hushed and deserted place since the invaders arrived. The rapid sound echoed like castanetas across the cobbled roads of the empty plazas. It was a little confusing as he had just been washing his face and hands before evwning prayers. Not yet fully awake when the stillness of the dark had been broken.

Just 2 horses he decided. Not knowing precisely but knowing it came from the direction of the castle. The picture of the young lord riding away came to his memory of a sudden, and unbidden. Janus Alexander Valerius had heard the mild spoken but heartfelt lord had perished in battle though? Was it possible the news was wrong?

A vision swam before him briefly. That of a cold and pale rider on the lord's image ....smiling, rigidly. His companion on another horse, riding beside him pointing toward something. A mellow golden mask of light obscuring a clear look at the face under auburn hair and curls. They rode Westward toward something like a bright line on the horizon. Almost a sunset glow. Then the vision vanished and I found myself on my knees weeping. Mixed sorrow and joy.

I took my prayers right there that hour, and intended to all the rest of that day. Something otherworldly had happened, and this was where Teos had meant for me to be when it did.
Faith Defines All Things; their remembrances clearly defined make them living custom.

Teodoro Sidonio

• General group
« Reply #8 on: 30 December, 2018, 02:56:59 PM »
Teodoro nodded to the Freyia's words.

"Very well, my Sister. I will stand here for now."

The prelate inadvertently moved his weight to the fell leg and the silver talon penetrated into the soil for about 5 inches.

"Oh, I will stand here rather firmly, I suppose.... Go now, bring to me the Jordan's spoils. We need to  bless his body as soon as possible, otherwise his soul can't find rest."

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #9 on: 10 January, 2019, 02:22:29 AM »
Gracia could not see from the boat any movement inland. She just hoped that her brothers and sisters, the knights and Damas of Santiago, and her own relatives, the Casa Mendoza, were in their positions.  The plan had been carefully drawn ; she simply had to remain alert, keep the boat safe and close to the beach, and as soon as the group arrived with the remains of their friend , sail with all of them towards  Portugal, where their friend Jordan Miller had lived happily during so many years, where he should rest.
The lands around Sevilla, where Jordan had been Vassal, were now invaded , the only way to bring him back was by sea.

Gracia was worried about her party, about brave Queen Freyia, about wise Cardinal Teodoro, about her enthusiastic cousin Don Enrique and the sevillians , about her own dear husband Roberto. They were all in enemy territory...trying to recover the lost body of their dead friend. Father Teodoro should be with her in the boat, his  wounded leg made him suffer so much pain; Gracia could not avoid thinking that the cold winter night could not be good for the old man´s bones.

Everything Jordan had worked for during years was now lost, all his plans and proyects gone with him. She had tried to convince him that the most important thing is life, to be alive... the castles, the wells, the markets he had built were important but his advice, his nice and kind words, his sometimes awkward sometime brilliant ideas, their friendship was the real important matter.

But he lost hope, he felt tired, dissapointed, and could not go on....Gracia missed Jordan as much as she still missed Lello , king Lello. These were her thoughts when she heard some distant noises . She tried to watch the beach, but it was very dark.