Author Topic: Trial 004/1318 - Kingdom of Portugal vs Maria Von Seewald  (Read 261 times)

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
  • Honour: 0
Trial 004/1318 - Kingdom of Portugal vs Maria Von Seewald
« on: 16 July, 2018, 03:54:34 AM »
Trial 004/1318 - Kingdom of Portugal vs Maria Von Seewald

Date: 16/07/1318
Judge: Santiago Menezes
Prosecutor: Freyia Varano
Defendant: Maria Von Seewald

Accusation: Breaking Law on Kingdom resources by acquiring a silkworm farm without permission from the Regent.

Related Law:

I. Kingdom resources

Art. 1 – No raw resources may be extracted by foreigners without written permission from the Regent or the Vassal in charge of the region where the resource is located. Citizens from allied kingdoms are exempt from this law, unless contrary orders are given by either the Regent or the region’s Vassal. Citizens from friendly kingdoms, with a valid Treaty, may access the kingdom’s resources only after informing the Regent and Vassal of their intentions to extract. This is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All extracted resources must be given to the Kingdom as compensation.

Art. 2 – It is forbidden to buy more than one silkworms farm within a period of 30 days. Permission to buy more than one may be granted by the Regent, or Porto’s Vassal in his/her absence. Buying more than one farm without official and written permission is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All the silk resulting from the farms bought illegally must be given to the Kingdom as compensation.

The defendant now has 24 hours to make her presence known or to appoint an Attorney to represent her.

The Prosecutor also has 24 hours to indicate if a Barrister is to be appointed.

Freyia Varano

• General group
  • Ad astra per aspera!
Re: Trial 004/1318 - Kingdom of Portugal vs Maria Von Seewald
« Reply #1 on: 17 July, 2018, 12:42:33 AM »
My Lord

The prosecution does not wish to appoint a Barrister.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #2 on: 17 July, 2018, 04:13:23 AM »
The accused has chosen not to appear in this Court, although proper warning and time were given.

The trial will now continue with the Prosecution's opening remarks.
Two witnesses may be called to support the Prosecution's statements.

Freyia Varano

• General group
  • Ad astra per aspera!
« Reply #3 on: 18 July, 2018, 02:54:43 AM »
My Lord

A few days ago, I was revising my tax records when I noticed something out of order. It showed that the citizen Maria Von Seewald had purchased a farm of silkworms. This was done without consulting me beforehand to know if doing so was allowed, as the law clearly states.

My report:
11-Jul-1318, 20:35:09   Received 5 coins (Tax on Goods and Services) from Maria Von Seewald (Breeding License) - Region: PORTO.

As stated within our law, and I quote:

I. Kingdom resources

Art. 1 – No raw resources may be extracted by foreigners without written permission from the Regent or the Vassal in charge of the region where the resource is located. Citizens from allied kingdoms are exempt from this law, unless contrary orders are given by either the Regent or the region’s Vassal. Citizens from friendly kingdoms, with a valid Treaty, may access the kingdom’s resources only after informing the Regent and Vassal of their intentions to extract. This is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All extracted resources must be given to the Kingdom as compensation.

Art. 2 – It is forbidden to buy more than one silkworms farm within a period of 30 days. Permission to buy more than one may be granted by the Regent, or Porto’s Vassal in his/her absence. Buying more than one farm without official and written permission is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All the silk resulting from the farms bought illegally must be given to the Kingdom as compensation

Maria Von Seewald is a citizen of Archduchy of Austria, who has a neutral diplomacy relationship to Kingdom of Portugal. As the law states, only kingdoms that are allied are exempt from requiring permission to use kingdom resources. For that matter, Maria Von Seewald's actions were illegal and must be punished. I would also like to clarify that I have contacted the Archduke of Austria also, to inform him of the situation.

This, however, is not the first time the accused has gotten silk from our kingdom. I call your attention to these pieces of evidence, that have been gathered for the past months and that clearly shows Maria Von Seewald's participation on Xana Cao's continuous access to silk.

https://prnt.sc/k7q5qr - shows Maria Von Seewald selling 60 cheeses at 0coins and buying 180 silk yarns from Xana Cao at 0 coins
https://prnt.sc/k7q634 - shows Maria Von Seewald selling 609 mulberry leaves at 0 coins and buying 150 silk yarns from Xana Cao at 0 coins
https://prnt.sc/k7q5bk - shows Maria Von Seewald selling 485 mulberry leaves at 0 coins and buying 180 silk yarns from Xana Cao at 0 coins

As the evidence clearly shows, Maria Von Seewald has, over the past few months, given to Xana Cao over a thousand mulberry leaves (and food) for free, while in return gotten hundreds of silk yarns for free as well. One has to wonder exactly what purpose there was for this, as it clearly shows an abuse of foreigners in accessing kingdom resources for the sole benefit of their wallets and loss of income to the Portuguese citizens. I remind the Court that Xana Cao, the other participant, has already been convicted for the same crime before.

This time, however, the action was even more insulting to our kingdom. Not only did she buy the farm illegally, but also, to avoid being restrained so she could face the accusation while in our kingdom lands, Maria Von Seewald has fled the kingdom after hiring an accomplice to breed the silkworms and get the silk for her.

Evidence: http://prntscr.com/k7qd4q

My Lord, this is a serious offense that is clearly a threat to our kingdom's economy, as silk is a rare resource that we have made efforts to protect. The fact that she attempted to go around our law to once again steal our silk makes it even worse.

All things considered, I ask the Court to set an exemplary punishment: 2 days of prison time and a fine of 400 silver coins.

I would like to call as a witness Sir Thiago Henriques, the Vassal of Porto.

Thiago Henriques

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2018, 02:48:58 PM »
My Lord

I confirm that the accused didn't write me to ask permission for buying farms.

12-Jul-1318, 05:45:25   Maria Von Seewald bought for 0 silver coins 140 Mulberry leaf from Xana Cao at market in: PORTO.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #5 on: 18 July, 2018, 11:46:27 PM »
Thank you Prosecution and witness.
We are now ready for the opening remarks by the Defense.

Maria Von Seewald

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #6 on: 19 July, 2018, 04:03:28 PM »
With the kind support of Google Translator.

The accused has chosen not to appear in this Court, although proper warning and time were given.

The trial will now continue with the Prosecution's opening remarks.
Two witnesses may be called to support the Prosecution's statements.

Das stimmt natürlich nicht, mich hat niemand informiert. Aber jetzt bin ich hier.
Of course that's not true, nobody has informed me. But now I am here.

Ich plädiere auf NICHT SCHULDIG.
I am pleading NOT GUILTY.

Ich habe keine gesetze gebrochen, Art.2 erlaubt jedem eine Farm zu kaufen, ohne Erlaubnis zu holen.
I have not broken any laws, Art.2 allows anyone to buy a farm without getting permission.

Wie ich meine Geschäfte mache und mit wem ich sie machen geht dich nichts an. Es ist echt schade um deine Zeit die Logs zu durchsuchen. Aber ich bin nicht nachtragend, wir können immer noch Geschäfte machen. Gewinn ist alles.
Um Gewinne zu machen muss man eben schlauer sein als andere. Alles was passiert ist ist auch legal gewesen. Schreib deine Gesetze neu.

Ich verlange sofortige Freilassung. Ich habe nicht vor irgendwohin zu gehen und will mich um meine Seidenraupen kümmern. Wenn ich kein Gewinn mit der Seide mache kann ich auch nichts und niemanden bezahlen. Ich schäme mich nicht, ich bin arm.

Das ist auch die einzige Bedingung unter der ich weiter mit euch prozessiere. Im anderen Fall lege ich mich hin und tue nichts.

How I do business and with whom I make them is none of your business. It's a pity to search your time for the logs. But I'm not resentful, we can still do business. Profit is everything.
You have to be smarter than others to make a profit. Everything that happened was legal too. Re-write your laws.

I demand immediate release. I'm not planning to go anywhere and want to take care of my silkworms. If I do not make a profit with the silk I can not pay anything or anyone. I'm not ashamed, I'm poor.

This is also the only condition under which I continue to process with you. In the other case, I lie down and do nothing.

Ich bestrafe euch in dem ich euch ignoriere.
I'm punishing you by ignoring you.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #7 on: 20 July, 2018, 12:44:45 AM »
Defendant Maria Von Seewald
You were notified of Trial and where it was happening when the criminal procedure started.  Claiming you were not is an insult to this Court and myself as a Judge. Your words will be remembered when I make the final decision.
Thank you for presenting your defense.

The Court will move on to the Prosecution's closing remarks.

Freyia Varano

• General group
  • Ad astra per aspera!
« Reply #8 on: 21 July, 2018, 01:02:22 AM »
My Lord

Not only was the accused notified by the Court, she also received warning from Sir Thiago Henriques, Porto's Vassal, who also gave her directions to find this room. There is simply no excuse for a lie to be said about this, but it shows character nonetheless.

Freyia turns to Maria Von Seewald and says

It is indeed my business how you do your business, if it happens in Portuguese lands. For months you and your friend Xana Cao, now banned from Portugal, have conspired against our economy with your sales at 0 sc and your constant extraction and exportation of a resource that belongs to the true Portuguese citizens.

What you say about the law makes no sense and is completely false. Art.2  does not exclude art 1, where it is clearly stated that foreign citizens do not get access to kingdom resources without permission from the Regent or the region's Vassal. You did neither request nor receive such permission and so your purchase of a farm was illegal and punishable by law. We have no desire to ever make a deal with someone who hurts our economy, so your services will not ever be needed.

Freyia turns to the Judge and finishes with:

My Lord,

As the evidence has shown, Maria Von Seewald has greatly harmed our kingdom's economy. She has lied and mocked both the Court and the kingdom. We petition the Court to serve an exemplanary sentence so that this kind of behaviour will be discouraged and our resources might be protected.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #9 on: 21 July, 2018, 01:11:19 AM »
Thank you Prosecution.
We are now ready for the closing remarks by the Defense. The defendant has 24 hours to present her defense.
« Last Edit: 21 July, 2018, 01:25:25 AM by Santiago Menezes »

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #10 on: 22 July, 2018, 10:30:45 PM »
After careful review of all the evidence here presented, the Court has reached a Verdict.

It was proven without a doubt that Maria Von Seewald, citizen of Archduchy of Austria, has purchased a breeding of silkworms without permission from the Regent or Porto's Vassal. This is a violation of the following law:

I. Kingdom resources

Art. 2 – It is forbidden to buy more than one silkworms farm within a period of 30 days. Permission to buy more than one may be granted by the Regent, or Porto’s Vassal in his/her absence. Buying more than one farm without official and written permission is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All the silk resulting from the farms bought illegally must be given to the Kingdom as compensation.

We have heard the Prosecution and Witness state that the Accused had not contacted the Queen or the region's Vassal for permission prior to the purchase. And we have seen evidence of past deals that although legal, have damaged the kingdom’s economy. It is unclear why the Accused fled the kingdom after hiring someone to take care of the farm she purchased hours before, only to return days later after the Trial had started. The Court believes that it shows premeditation and conspiracy to break a kingdom law.

We have also heard the Accused’s defense. The Court is perplexed at the blatant lie and manipulation attempt done by the Accused. The Court looks at evidence, not threats, and the Defendant has not presented any evidence to support her case.

The law states (in Art. 1) that foreign citizens must request permission from the Regent or region’s Vassal before using kingdom resources. It is clear to this Court that the law was broken.

All this considered, and taking into account the Accused's words and actions and the implications to the kingdoms economy, We find the Accused, Maria Von Seewald, citizen of Archduchy of Austria, GUILTY of breaking the Portuguese law about Kingdom resources, and sentence her to imprisonment for 2 days plus payment of a fine of 400 silver coins to be paid to Porto's castle or Prison. Both me, the Judge Santiago Menezes, and the Vassal of Porto, Sir Thiago Henriques must be informed of the payment. The full production of silkworms breeding must be donated to Porto's castle or prison as well, as compensation.

The Trial is closed.