Author Topic: Trial 003/1318 - Kingdom of Portugal vs Xana Cao  (Read 258 times)

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
  • Honour: 0
Trial 003/1318 - Kingdom of Portugal vs Xana Cao
« on: 10 June, 2018, 08:03:21 PM »
Trial 003/1318 - Kingdom of Portugal vs Xana Cao

Date: 10/06/1318
Judge: Santiago Menezes
Prosecutor: Freyia Varano
Defendant: Xana Cao

Accusation: Breaking Law on Kingdom resources by acquiring excessive amount of silkworm farms without permission.

Related Law:

I. Kingdom resources

Art. 1 – No raw resources may be extracted by foreigners without written permission from the Regent or the Vassal in charge of the region where the resource is located. Citizens from allied kingdoms are exempt from this law, unless contrary orders are given by either the Regent or the region’s Vassal. Citizens from friendly kingdoms, with a valid Treaty, may access the kingdom’s resources only after informing the Regent and Vassal of their intentions to extract. This is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All extracted resources must be given to the Kingdom as compensation.

Art. 2 – It is forbidden to buy more than one silkworms farm within a period of 30 days. Permission to buy more than one may be granted by the Regent, or Porto’s Vassal in his/her absence. Buying more than one farm without official and written permission is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All the silk resulting from the farms bought illegally must be given to the Kingdom as compensation

The defendant now has 24 hours to make his presence known or to appoint an Attorney to represent him.

The Prosecutor also has 24 hours to indicate if a Barrister is to be appointed.

Freyia Varano

• General group
  • Ad astra per aspera!
Re: Trial 003/1318 - Kingdom of Portugal vs Xana Cao
« Reply #1 on: 11 June, 2018, 02:33:09 AM »
My Lord

The prosecution does not wish to appoint a Barrister.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2018, 04:09:24 AM »
The accused has chosen not to appear in this Court, although proper warning and time were given.

The trial will now continue with the Prosecution's opening remarks.
Two witnesses may be called to support the Prosecution's statements.

Freyia Varano

• General group
  • Ad astra per aspera!
« Reply #3 on: 13 June, 2018, 04:08:41 AM »
My Lord

On the first hours of the 9th of June, I was revising my tax records when I noticed something out of order. It showed that the citizen Xana Cao had bought 4 farms of silkworms. This was done without consulting me beforehand to know if doing so was possible.

My report:
08-Jun-1318, 19:05:23   Received 0,5 coins (Tax on Goods and Services) from Xana Cao (Breeding License) - Region: PORTO.
08-Jun-1318, 19:05:35   Received 0,5 coins (Tax on Goods and Services) from Xana Cao (Breeding License) - Region: PORTO.
08-Jun-1318, 19:05:48   Received 0,5 coins (Tax on Goods and Services) from Xana Cao (Breeding License) - Region: PORTO.
08-Jun-1318, 19:05:58   Received 0,5 coins (Tax on Goods and Services) from Xana Cao (Breeding License) - Region: PORTO.

As stated within our law, and I quote:

I. Kingdom resources

Art. 1 – No raw resources may be extracted by foreigners without written permission from the Regent or the Vassal in charge of the region where the resource is located. Citizens from allied kingdoms are exempt from this law, unless contrary orders are given by either the Regent or the region’s Vassal. Citizens from friendly kingdoms, with a valid Treaty, may access the kingdom’s resources only after informing the Regent and Vassal of their intentions to extract. This is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All extracted resources must be given to the Kingdom as compensation.

Art. 2 – It is forbidden to buy more than one silkworms farm within a period of 30 days. Permission to buy more than one may be granted by the Regent, or Porto’s Vassal in his/her absence. Buying more than one farm without official and written permission is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All the silk resulting from the farms bought illegally must be given to the Kingdom as compensation

Xana Cao and the Crown were, in fact, negotiating a deal to allow the citizen to own four farms whenever possible. Miss Xana made a proposal that was not accepted by the Council, as it was severely unfair to other Portuguese citizens and left the kingdom at risk of not having silk for cures. That was explained to Ms. Xana Cao and I myself, speaking on behalf of the Council made a counter proposal by letter.

I call your attention to this piece of evidence, a copy of the letter I sent Ms. Xana Cao.

Copy of letter sent to Xana Cao

As my Lord can see in it, Ms Xana Cao was told that if she accepted the terms of our proposal, a formal document would be drawn stating the conditions of the deal and working as official permission for her to acquire the farms. That document, however, had not been signed yet. This has nothing to do with Ms Xana, rather is related to the high demand of the resource by both Portuguese citizens and allies. As the resource is limited, the Crown was establishing a "timetable" to allow all citizens to have access to it, thus leaving everyone with the same rights to it. However, Ms. Xana Cao did not respect this and bought the four farms without actually being allowed to. She also failed to communicate to either me, or the Vassal of Porto, her intention of buying them. Had she done so, she would have been told in advance to wait a few more days so that the resource would not be depleted. As it turns out, Ms Cao depleted the resource and has gravely prejudiced the life of other citizens who were preparing to buy the farms too.

As the evidence shows, Xana Cao has acquired a three breeding farm illegally. My Lord, this is a serious offense that is clearly a threat to our kingdom's economy, as silk is a rare resource that we have made efforts to protect. The fact that she could not wait until the terms were set and the deal was made official, so official permission was granted, makes it even worse.

I would also like to state that to be fair, when contacted by Ms Xana Cao about being restrained for the Trial, I made sure to not only give her directions to this hall, but also a guide on how to proceed in Court (proof). As an answer, my Lord, I am afraid I received nothing but insults. Ms Xana Cao was informed of the need to show up here to present her defense and has not yet given any indication of doing so.

All things considered, I ask the Court to set an exemplary punishment: 2 days of prison time and a fine of 100 silver coins.

I would like to call as a witness Sir Thiago Henriques, the Vassal of Porto.[/b]
« Last Edit: 13 June, 2018, 04:10:26 AM by Freyia Varano »

Thiago Henriques

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2018, 01:28:19 AM »
My Lord

I confirm that Xana Cao didn't write me to ask permission for buying farms or tell me she wanted to buy farms.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2018, 01:32:56 AM »
Thank you Prosecution and witness.
We are now ready for the opening remarks by the Defense.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #6 on: 15 June, 2018, 02:31:05 AM »
Since the defendant has chosen not to appear to present his case, the Court will move on to the Prosecution's closing remarks.

Freyia Varano

• General group
  • Ad astra per aspera!
« Reply #7 on: 16 June, 2018, 01:40:56 AM »
My Lord

I confirm that Xana Cao has not made any effort to contact either me or the Vassal of Porto to explain her situation or present her defense.

We acknowledge that a deal was in preparation and that Ms. Xana Cao acted impulsively and purchased the farms before time and official permission was granted. However, this has brought consequences to other citizens who had been permitted to buy farms too and now must wait until the resource is available again. Ms. Xana Cao's actions have interfered with other citizen's lives too, not just the kingdom.

All this considered, we petition the Court to forgo the fine, as Ms. Xana has already also suffered a financial setback, but to keep the jail time so punishment can be given for the offense.

That being stated, the Prosecutions has nothing more to say, my Lord.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #8 on: 16 June, 2018, 05:31:26 AM »
Thank you Prosecution.
We are now ready for the closing remarks by the Defense. The defendant has 24 hours to present his defense.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #9 on: 17 June, 2018, 11:09:19 AM »
After careful review of all the evidence here presented, the Court has reached a Verdict.

It was proven that Xana Cao purchased more than one breeding of silkworms without permission from the Regent. This is a violation of the following law:

I. Kingdom resources

Art. 2 – It is forbidden to buy more than one silkworms farm within a period of 30 days. Permission to buy more than one may be granted by the Regent, or Porto’s Vassal in his/her absence. Buying more than one farm without official and written permission is considered a Severe crime. Transgressors will be prosecuted and, if found guilty, punished by imprisonment for up to 2 days with a fine up to 400 silver coins. All the silk resulting from the farms bought illegally must be given to the Kingdom as compensation.

We have heard the Prosecution state that there are mitigating factors in this procedure. Unfortunately, the Accused chose to not come in this Court to present her case and offer her version of the facts.

All this considered, and taking into account the Prosecution's request, We find the Accused, Xana Cao, in absentia,  GUILTY of breaking the Portuguese law about Kingdom resources, and sentence her to imprisonement for 2 days. As stated by law, production of the three illegally acquired silkworms breedings must be donated to Porto's Castle as compensation.

The Trial is closed.

Xana Cao

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #10 on: 17 June, 2018, 02:16:43 PM »
Finally the time has come.

Punishment accepted, there are only two problems. I've been arrested for six days, that's five days too long. I expect compensation for five days imprisonment. Unfortunately, I was not allowed to feed the silkworms and they are all dead. There will be no silk.

Only winners here.

Santiago Menezes

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #11 on: 20 June, 2018, 02:30:17 AM »
The time for you to present yourself to Court has passed already, your choice not to speak before. The Trial is closed.
You were imprisioned 2 days, as said here and restrained for the duration of Trial, like normal procedure requires. There is no compensation to be paid to you. More information can be found in Wiki.