Author Topic: [CRP] A Flemish Baron in the French-Norman war  (Read 427 times)

Jacob Van Teylingen

• General group
  • Honour: 0
[CRP] A Flemish Baron in the French-Norman war
« on: 17 November, 2017, 11:00:22 AM »
Vexin

It was a damp, drizzly day. A typical autumn day in Vexin. Jacob grumbled as he walked through the mud ”I know this is pig country, but that shouldn’t mean we are to fight in the mud like pigs”. Boidin, his squire, just nodded.

When they reached their destination, Boidin turned to Jacob. “Why are we fighting, Sire“
Jacob, still grumpy “The Normans and Frenchies are angry with each other. We, Flanders, are allied with the Frenchies.  The Frenchies fight. We fight.”
“That’s it?”
“That’s all we have to know”.

The battle in Vexin they were about to fight was completely different from the battles Jacob fought these past years. All preceding battles were fights against rebels. Mostly inferior armies, inferior fighters. But not this time. This was the first of probably many battles in a real war. A battle with skilled warriors and knights, something Jacob had never experienced before. He had fought against skilled warriors or knights before. Oh yes, he did that, a lot. But duels or tournaments were all about honor and competition. Not this. This was fighting for.. for.. yes, for what? Jacob not really understood how or why this war started. Something to do with strategic resources and diplomatic talks that went haywire. Politics.

Jacob spit on the ground. Something he always managed to stay out of. Politics and diplomacy. Jacob’s idea of politics and diplomacy was give the person he had a dispute with a black eye and a drink after that. Most of the time that did the trick. Problem solved. Not here. In the world of Kings, Queen’s and big armies. Black eye’s, oh yes. But he doubted there would be drinks afterwards with the enemy. Just another battle probably.

Jacob Van Teylingen

• General group
Re: [CRP] A Flemish Baron in the French-Norman war
« Reply #1 on: 17 November, 2017, 11:11:26 AM »
Vexin - aftermath

Jacob lay on a cart. Wounded. Mud and blood everywhere. Somebody poured brandy into his wounds to clean them. Jacob thought it was a waste of liquor. He wanted to ask if they could pour it in his mouth, but he didn't have the strength to even speak.

Jacob couldn’t remember very much of the battle. He was in the front line and was among the first to clash with the enemy. He got into a short axe fight with some nobleman from Kiev. Jacob lost the fight. He would probably lost his life also, hadn’t it been for a warrior woman to take over the fight. Just before he passed out he could see it was Thora Lubiani, his colleague drillmaster from Denmark.

Boidin stood next to Jacob and lay his hand on his shoulder. “We’ve won Sire”. Jacob tried to smile, but that hurt too much. “We’re going to regroup to be ready for the next battle. Probably west from here, close to the coast.” Jacob blinked his eye’s to show he understood and passed out again.
« Last Edit: 17 November, 2017, 12:10:44 PM by Jacob Van Teylingen »

Jacob Van Teylingen

• General group
« Reply #2 on: 18 November, 2017, 03:05:46 PM »
Battle of Guines 18-11-1317

The French army and her allies set camp in Guines not far from the Norman camp close to the coast.
Jacob sat in his tent, pondering about the upcoming battle and the last battle in Vexin from which he barley recovered.
Boidin walked into the tent and handed a wooden case to Jacob “It’s from Queen Primula. I think this is a way to say thank you, Sire”.
Jacob opened the box. His eyes became brighter and a smile appeared on his face.
“A bottle of brandy! Well, it seems that the Queen of France knows how to motivate her allies.” Still looking at the bottle Jacob beckoned Boidin “Boidin! Get me two mugs and come sit with me. We’ll drink a mug before going into battle. Just one. We do have to stay sober of course. Don’t want to be knocked out after the first fight again. I’ve got to stay sharp.”

And sharp he was when the battle started. He ran forward. Sharp as a razor… until he met his first opponent. It was Jerman Nemanjic, the son of the Tsar of Serbia!! He recognized him immediately by the distinctive colors of his armor. Jacob was a bit impressed and he hesitated a fraction too long. The prince gave him a stunning blow which swept him of his feet. This put Jacob in a disadvantageous position. One he wouldn’t get out from the rest of the fight. The rest of the fight lasted not very long and there were no sudden tricks or turns that gave Jacob the upper hand. No. Jacob lost the first fight… again.

Aftermath

Jacob woke up in a cart. Again. But this time the cart was moving. Fast. Boidin sat next to him. This time Jacob could speak “What happened, boy?” Boidin looked at his master, sad, with a hard expression on his face “We lost the battle, Sire” he answered grim.
Jacob looked away and stared at his armor that lay at his feet. It saved his live, but his iron body armor was broken beyond repair.
“I hope our will to fight isn’t broken like my armor. I will request new armor in Brugge, no problem. And my will to fight hasn’t died yet, but I don’t know about the others. I don’t think a bottle of brandy will be sufficient for some of us.”
« Last Edit: 18 November, 2017, 03:11:27 PM by Jacob Van Teylingen »

Jacob Van Teylingen

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 22 November, 2017, 01:57:41 PM »
Second Battle of Vexin 21-11-1317
https://www.medieval-europe.eu/index.php/page/battlereport/27479

Prelude

The sun was shining bright over the fields of Vexin. It would have been beautiful day was it not for the stench of sun-soaked pig's shit from the nearby farms and of course the upcoming battle.

Jacob and Boidin were standing on the slope of a small hill overlooking the meeting point of the two opposing armies; the battlefield.
Can I get you something to drink, Sire?
Yes. Water.
Water, Sire?
You heard me boy. I know it sounds odd, but this time I want to be completely sober.

Actually Jacob wanted to get drunk to reach a trance-like state and to run towards the enemy like a madman, with only a bearskin as armor and his axe. Just like his ancestors from the North, centuries ago. Berserkers. He remembered them from the stories his mother always told.
He looked at the ranks of the enemy. Their heavy armor was shining in the sun, almost blinding him. Maybe a bearskin is not a very wise choice here.

The battle

Jacob stormed forwards, right between the Norman and Kiev contingent. His first “meeting” was with a young Norman woman, Federica Boccaccio. Jacob did not know her. She wore light armor and the way she moved, gave away that she had little experience. Jacob concluded in a split second this would be an easy fight. Almost unfair. He caught a glimpse of her long red hair that was visible from under her helmet. Under different circumstances he would definitely offered her a drink. But war is war.
Federica did manage to hit Jacob a few times, but her war hammer did little damage to the heavy armor. On the opposite, Jacob's axe did a lot of damage to the light armor of the brave Norman woman.

After he dealt with Frederica, Jacob turned to the next candidate. There were yellow and blue colors everywhere. He found himself in the middle of the Kiev army. And there was heavily armored soldier walking towards him. It was Dmytro Wheatbeer. A baron and drillmaster from Kiev. Normally a worthy opponent. But not now. Dmytro was already half dead. Jacob needed just one swing with his axe to end the fight.

Then he spotted a great prize. Elizara Gray. A well known and respected Kiev official and Grand Prophetess of the Patriarchal Church. Elizara Grey turned out to be a formidable fighter. It was only because Elizara was already weakened that Jacob was able to overcome her. The fight seemed to last forever. He did win, but Jacob was exhausted. The encounter with Elizara cost him dearly. 

He was hardly prepared for what was coming next. Jacob’s eyes widened when he turned to his next opponent.“You've gotta be kidding” he murmured when he lay eyes on Mao Chao. He knew this man. Great stories he heard about this one man army. And if only half of these stories were true, Jacob would still be in big trouble. Actually. At this stage it really didn’t matter who he had to fight. Jacob could barely stand on his feet. The “fight” was over after exchanging a few weak blows. Mao Chao walked away. Leaving Jacob for dead.

Aftermath

The first thing Jacob noticed when he woke up from a dreamless sleep, was the smell of trees. No stench that fitted the battlefield in Vexin, but the fresh smell of forest. Jacob recognized that smell. The forests of Hainaut!
Boidin quietly walked in the room. He was pleasantly surprised to see his master all awake.
Good morning, Sire.
Hello boy.” Jacob tried to sit up, but he still didn’t have the strength yet.
You rest now, Sire. No need to hurry.
What happened? How long was I  unconscious? And why not hurry?
You’ve been asleep for more than a day. We brought you to your old house, here in the forest of Hainaut.
Ok. Great. Thank you.” Jacob paused for a moment “And do we already know where and when we must go for the next confrontation?
There won’t be another battle, Sire. At least not for Flanders.
You mean the war is over? “   
No. Flanders will not participate in this war any longer. Flanders isn’t able for some reason that is beyond our comprehension. But maybe it won’t be necessary. I heard rumors about France pleading for peace.

Jacob didn’t speak anymore. He stared at the ceiling. Trying to make sense of all he heard.
« Last Edit: 26 November, 2017, 09:36:50 PM by Jacob Van Teylingen »

Jacob Van Teylingen

• General group
« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2017, 09:35:43 PM »
Jacob sat on a tree trunk reading a bunch of scrolls with the latest news.

... Tourraine conquered by Normandy. The French got slaugthered. Four attackers for each defender, they didnt stand a chance ...
... France selling regions to Venice ...

Jacob shrugged his shoulders. He felt empty. It made the three battles Flanders fought side by side with the French seem so senseless.

... A lot of changes in England. A new King and my old friend Alain D' Arcy became Constable of Kingdom of England. Interesting ...

Jacob took up his axe and walked to the next tree. Out of boredom and frustration Jacob already cut down so many trees that the created clearing in the forest could accommodate a small village. At least they would have enough firewood for the next two decades...
« Last Edit: 26 November, 2017, 09:37:35 PM by Jacob Van Teylingen »