Author Topic: (ORP) A strange case  (Read 493 times)

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
  • Honour: 0
(ORP) A strange case
« on: 10 July, 2017, 06:56:14 PM »
Gracia was very nervous.  Within a few hours, Prince Giovanni will lead the group that will enter into the Royal Palace of Burgos to check what happened to King Lello. He had not been in public since 21 June, and did not answer any message.

To calm her nerves, she sat in her private terrace at Burgos castle to read the Town Crier News. She noticed that the wedding of Guard Captain Gustav Wolfsangel and his bride, Clara Gabay, was announced, and she felt happy for the couple.

The news included a beautiful ink sketch that a local artist had done, that depicted the handsome and brave Lord Gustav and the bride, Lady Clara.

Gracia watched again. It couldn´t be true!  The bride  looked like....

She run to her bedroom and took the mirror that Father Teodoro had sent her recently, as a very special gift, and stared at herself....

Then, she read once more the newspaper and realiced that Clara and she resemble like two drops of water.  How was this possible?
She left the mirror and went downstairs, to the castle garden, where her mother spent her time growing roses and mulberries.

"Mother!" she called.

Mother didn´t stop working. "Yes, dear?"

"Mother, do I have a sister, a twin sister?", Gracia asked.

"What do you mean?" Mother whispered, suddenly pale.

"Look at this picture, this girl looks like me!"

« Last Edit: 23 July, 2017, 10:50:58 PM by Gracia Mendoza »

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
Re: (ORP) A strange case
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2017, 10:55:15 PM »
Mother had dropped the hoe and became frozen.  Gracia got some water from the well, made her mother sit on a bench and helped her to drink a few sips.

"She told me that the second baby was born dead" she said.

Gracia was astonished. Her mother explained that she had suffered a very difficult pregnancy, but nobody knew she was expecting two babies. She wanted a woman from her homeland to assist her in labour work.

"Aysha lied to me. I was exhausted after having you first, and then ... another baby was coming....probably I fainted at a certain point and when I woke up, I had you in my arms, and Aisha  had the other baby. She told me the girl was dead, and that she was going to bury her.
But I know now; she stole my alive baby and took her away.
Are you angry, my child?"

"Of course not, mother! I am so happy that I have a twin sister...I only regret everything you have gone through...
We don´t know anything about her.  I will try to contact Clara, if you agree. I would like to know what happened ...."

« Last Edit: 23 July, 2017, 10:48:21 PM by Gracia Mendoza »

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #2 on: 12 July, 2017, 10:04:05 PM »
On 12-Jul-1317, 21:01

To Lady Clara Gabay, Kingdom of Sweden

Esteemed Lady Clara,

I would like to congratulate you and your husband for your wedding.

I wish you many, many years of happy life together.

From Castilla y León, a small gift for you.

12-Jul-1317, 20:19   You sent 1 Sealed scroll to Clara Gabay. Estimated time of delivery: 13-Jul-1317, 08:37

Health and fortune,

Canciller del Reino de Castilla y León
Duquesa y Gobernadora de Burgos
Condesa de Avranches

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 14 July, 2017, 11:27:57 PM »
Two days later, Mother´s impatience grew.

"Have you news about Clara", she asked.

"Not yet, Mother. We have to wait. These things take time. She must be enjoying her wedding, the celebrations and probably, her honeymoon. Maybe she has not even opened every present or gift she has received. I cannot simply write to her and say, hey Clara, for sure that we are close relatives....I am waiting for her answer.  Then, I will ask her if she remembers something from her chilhood, in a smooth way".
« Last Edit: 28 July, 2017, 01:13:25 AM by Gracia Mendoza »

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #4 on: 18 July, 2017, 11:24:54 AM »
Next week, one of Gracia´s messengers met her at the Audience Hall.

"Doña Gracia, mi Señora", he started, "We have done some research about Lady Clara, as you ordered. We haven´t found out much."

Gracia read the parchments that the messenger had left on the side desk.

Awoke with amnesia. I have only a scroll with my name and an inscription in a foreign language on it.

"Great", Gracia exclaimed," there is a clue there! If we could read that scroll, maybe we could learn about her past"

"I don´t think so, my Lady, because that scroll has dissapeared"

The messenger explained that during the wedding ceremony lead by the Gothi Sofie, Lady Clara had offered the scroll:

I hand the Gothi the scroll that was my only possession when I arrived in Sweden. Despite it's message, never to forget, I hand it over in order to start my new life. My eyes on Gustav.....

and as it is customary in the Norse Faith Rites, the  scroll was burned .

Sofie received Clara's scroll and offered her a smile as well, then she turned to the altar.
Placing the groom's bundle into the fire bowl, she called Odin. "All-Father, I humbly ask you to accept this offer from Gustav as a sign that he is willing to leave his life as single man behind and to start a new one with your blessing."
Then she placed the scroll into the fire bowl and the flames immediately tackled the parchment with a soft sizzling noise. "Odin, please accept this offer from Clara as a sign that she is willing to leave her live as unwed woman behind and to start a new one with your blessing."

"Then, the only one who remembers what the scroll said is Lady Clara" Gracia sighed, suddenly flattened by the news.

« Last Edit: 18 July, 2017, 11:55:30 AM by Gracia Mendoza »

Clara Gabay

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #5 on: 19 July, 2017, 09:54:40 PM »
I've received a beautiful scroll from the Duchess of Burgos as a wedding present. Of all the gifts its the one I enjoy the most. I lie awake by candlelight and study the pictures and imagine being there and seeing for myself the wonders of the wider world. I wonder why the Duchess would send me such a beautiful scroll, and I imagine what it could all mean.....

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2017, 01:35:17 AM »

After dinner, Gracia and her Mother were sitting for a while in the garden, enjoying the moonlight and the perfum of jasmine flowers.

"Mother," Gracia said," you will be happy to know that Lady Clara, Marquess of Vänersborg, has sent me a letter.
 She is so sweet and kind. She thanks for the parchment I sent her as wedding present. I chose one of my favourite, which depicts different type of clothes in european kingdoms, specially in Portugal and Castilla.

She doesn´t know the reason of my interest in her and her circumstances, even though, she shares with us the inscription that was on the scroll, which was her only possesion when she arrived to Sweden. It said "Numquam obliviscar". Its meaning is a mystery for her. Do you have any idea?"

"No, my dear, it makes no sense for me....but I am delighted to hear the way you describe Clara, lovely and polite.
Gracia, I want you to explain Clara why we are interested in her past."
Mother asked.

« Last Edit: 23 July, 2017, 10:45:53 PM by Gracia Mendoza »

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #7 on: 24 July, 2017, 09:42:17 PM »

On 24-Jul-1317,
To Lady Clara Gabay, Kingdom of Sweden.

Lady Clara,

Thanks for your letter and for sharing the content of your scroll with me.

I am sure that you are wondering why I sent you a wedding present if we have never met before.
The announcement of your wedding ceremony with Lord Gustav was the first news I received about your existence. I was shocked when I saw your picture, because you and me are alike.

I asked my Mother about that amazing cooincidence and she confessed that she had two babies, two girls, who were born one after the other. The first baby was me. I have found out that the second baby was taken away by Aysha, the servant who helped Mother. She made everybody believe that the baby was born dead.

This is the reason that makes me think that you are the second baby who Mother had. Thus, our interest in your past. I wonder if you remember something of your childhood, about the person or persons who took care of you, which language did you learn first, where did you travel, how did you arrive to Sweden ....I have so many questions!

I feel furious when I think that we were separated at birth and we couldn´t enjoy growing together, but I am really happy to have met you. I will not rest until I find out why Aysha kidnapped a baby, you, and what she did afterwards.

I understand now the interest that Mother had when we both moved to Granada, the former capital of the Sultanate of Granada, where she came from. She insisted in visiting every single region in the south, she wanted to contact relatives, if there were some...I know now she was probably trying to meet Aysha.

I know it is strange to "get" a relative this way...., yes, it is indeed a very strange case. I will understand if you don´t feel like researching your past, or if you don´t think there is a possibility that we are sisters.

Anyway, you have from now on, a place in my life. You are most welcome in my home.

My best wishes of health and fortune for you and your husband,

Gracia Mendoza
Canciller del Reino de Castilla y León
Duquesa y Gobernadora de Burgos
Condesa de Avranches
« Last Edit: 24 July, 2017, 09:50:05 PM by Gracia Mendoza »

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #8 on: 09 August, 2017, 06:50:07 PM »

After Urgell battle, Gracia was not in very good conditions. She managed to defeat the first native that faced her at the battlefield, but she wasn´t so lucky against the second.

She didn´t remember really when she had lost conscience. Now she was resting inside the Castillian tent, courtsey of King Giovanni, planted  not too far from the battle field and Father Teodoro had just finished adjusting some bandages.

"Thank you, Father" she whispered.

Her private messanger entered after having asked for permit.

"Doña Gracia, I brought your correspondance, just in case there is something urgent. "

The two men left her alone. Father Teodoro was very busy, there was a long waiting list of wounded soldiers  who needed to be healed.
Gracia inmediately saw that one of the scrolls had the seal of Lady Clara. She made an effort to sit on the narrow campaign bed, broke the wax seal, unrolled the scroll and read:

Clara Gabay to Gracia Mendoza
On 07-Aug-1317, 04:36

Your Grace the Duchess of Burgos,
I thank you for your well wishes once more, and I am shocked to hear your story. I can barely make sense of what I am feeling. It overwhelms me to think it may be true. I'm saddened that you and your mother ( our mother?) have experienced such loss. As for what I remember, it isn't much. I can only tell you that I have lived on ships and in ports throughout Europe--everyone the same. I was kept buy several minders, none staying with me for more than a year or two. They only told me that I must stay on the ships till I was old enough to leave. The last minder settled on taking me to Ostergotland and took all my belongings save the scroll. I was educated very little and had to have a trader translate it for me. I know nothing of those who kept me on the ships, or why they let me go, but with what you write me I shall endeavor to find out. If it were to be true, we owe it to eachother to find out. Confounded yet intrigued,

Lady Clara Marquess of Vanersborg

"Poor little girl..." - she sighed - "forced to live with strangers, in ships and in different ports.... At least, she could grow healthy and beautiful. "

"I wonder which one was the first port where she was brought...maybe we could get some information there.  I remember having read in the Historical Archives something about the first harbor ever built in the Sultanate of Granada, ....I think it was called ....how was it?  yes, the first port of Almería called Sultan Saiz I .... Or, perhaps the port was in the north, it could have been  the harbor in Asturias-de-Oviedo, in Asturias-de-Santillana, in Vizcaya or even the one in Navarra.
When I come back home I must look it up and then ask Mother about that horrible woman, Aysha"

Too many thoughts , too many possibilities.
« Last Edit: 09 August, 2017, 07:34:32 PM by Gracia Mendoza »