Author Topic: France and Fervour  (Read 1632 times)

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
  • Honour: 0
  • Beatae Chaterinae anuli anulifer
France and Fervour
« on: 04 November, 2016, 07:22:16 PM »
The day o'the feast of S.Baomir, Spanish Era 1352.

As the seas grow restless, and the last of the merchants depart towards their home ports, the intrepid Catalan fleet sails still.

This time, it shall be a journey of faith. For even though much clergy resides and practices faith in France, and baptizes and heals, there is none other place but Paris, where a maiden of France desires to be baptised. And this by none other than the most Reverend Archbishop of Reims, Janus Valerius.

Journeying to France was for long my wish, for for long had I not seen it. It is almost 10 years since I had last seen Paris, and almost a year since I left the Languedoc. As the last time I was there, I was naught but a goliard and student, and now a master of the arts and Count.

The Eulalia has been given the order to prepare for sail. The tides are not ideal but we shall be tracted by the currents, and out of Barcelona. The captain assures me she will hold even through the Bay of Biscay, and even around Finisterre. I shall have to trust an old sea man, more than my own gut, this time.

We were sat, the maiden and I, in my scriptorium, wherein I wrote my last correspondences of the day, and the maiden full of energy, rose.

Next time we meet, it shall be on the Eulalia. Search for captain Adres, said I.

‹Alys D'gris› I shall. But before I go I have a small gift for you.
‹Ioans De Tata› shall I close my eyes?
* Alys D'gris removed the ribbon from her hair, letting it fall loose about her face.
‹Alys D'gris› a Token for my Champion.
* Alys D'gris offered him the ribbon.
* Ioans De Tata lowered his head and accepted the gift.
‹Alys D'gris› Until we meet again!
‹Ioans De Tata› indeed.
Iohannes

(RIP) Alys D'gris

• General group
Re: France and Fervour
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2016, 02:13:23 AM »
It was perhaps impulse giving him the ribbon that she used to tie back her hair, but Iohannes had done a Knightly action in defending her honor as had done. Still it would be annoying to harvest the last few grapes unless... An idea formed in her mind and once she arrived at the field, she broke off a small section of green vine, using it to twist her hair up and secure it. Perhaps it looked a bit odd, but if it worked then it would be a good thing.

An hour later the last of her grapes were gathered and packed for travel along with the other items she was taking. Hopefully the markets would be kind to her for she had dreams, and like most dreams they took not only hard work buy silver as well. Alys walked to the Inn where she had been staying to collect of her belongings. She promised that when she returned, she wanted her room back, even if was only for a short time. The Innkeep and his wife both smiled at her knowing. They had been watching with tenderness the relationship developing between the French maid and the Comte of Barcelona.

The walk to the ship with her cart was easily done, and soon the Captain had her settled into her own cabin. It was clear that Iohannes had been here before she had arrived for the window was open, and there was a low bowl being put to use as a vase filled with flowers and lavender.  The bed was small, but that was fine as she would be sleeping alone and she was a tiny woman. Then she heard the Call od the Captain as they left the port of Barcelona.

She felt restless and decided to explore the ship a bit. It was easy to Find Iohanne's cabin for it was just down the hallway from hers. His voice could be heard through the door as he mused over a bit of correspondence out loud. Alys leaned against the wall, taking pleasure in his voice. Once it appeared he was ending his narrative, she slipped away to the top deck of the ship.

The rich azure waters never failed to capture her attention. Her lips curved in a smile as she watched the shore flowing past them. The land had such a different prospective from the water, just as the water looked so endless from the land. A straw hat was settled upon her head and startled Alys spun about. Captain Andres stood there an amused smile on his face. "Senorita, the sun is not kind to such fair skin. You should wear the hat when you are upon the deck."

"You are correct Captain, and I had not thought of that when is rushed to get here." Was her reply, tinged with a hint of laughter at her own carelessness. They voyage had just begun yet she already knew it would be a magical time. She allowed her weight to rest upon her forearms as she simply soaked in the sunshine and sea air.
Alys d'Gris
Duchess of Valencia
Ambassador of Aragona

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
The Ocean
« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2016, 01:22:57 PM »
As capita'Andres had forecasted, the winds were generous enough to take us into the warm embrace of Lisbon by the second day of voyage.

While I had overslept the Pillar of Hercules, Alys did not, and she told me of that amazing Rock of Tariq, and how it stood guard of the passage through, to the Ocean. The seas of the Ocean are of a dark blue hue, and constantly driven by the winds, so that tiny white sprays tell you where the edges of the waves be.

Lisbon lay at the estuary of the Tajo, and is secure from the cruel sea.

Then on, a traveler would stop by Santiago, and pay homage to S.Jacob of the husk. The church and shrine are today in disrepair, and apparently no one visits them, nor is the saint venerated.

You would do wisely to repair to Corunha for the night, if you are caught there unaware, as in Corunha there is a safe harbour, and thence you may travel to Oviedo, or Burgos by land, and be there in less than two days by foot, or a day by horse, and two also by carriage, for the roads are not fit for such vehiculum.

Then on to be safe from the madness of the sea, you shall head to the inner Bay of Biscay, and touch almost the Garonne, upon which estuary lay Bordeaux, seat of the dukes of Aquitaine.
Also you may dock at Bayonne, or La Rochelle up North, for safe harbour and good fresh water.

Iohannes

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
The River
« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2016, 09:55:46 PM »
The whole day we spent going around the Finisterre, around Brittany, and it was iced, the wind that shook us. Yet, the sails of the Eulalia held, and we circled the vast peninsula. I had a friend in the Leonnais, by the name du Chastel. That region of France is home to many a proud minor nobility, such as the Kermavans, Chastels and Kergoudenach, and some others whom I cannot recall, but it is said that there be five families that form the lordship of Leon, and all give a certain attribute of the land, into the land, such as the pride of du Chastel, wealth of Kergoudenach, honour of Kermavan, and so forth.

Passing Finisterre, the end of the world, you enter waters called by the French La Manche, and by the English, English channel. Indeed, this strip of sea is the separator between these two lands, and to pass it, you need to go along it, as if through a sleeve. And this takes with good winds several hours, to several days when none is found.

There be many ports in which to dock along the french coast, but you may also, possessing of a ship enter the Seine, and approach thus Paris, which is sat upon the Isle of France.
The brave sailor who fears not pass the Pillars would think twice before going into such river, though, as many ships and barges exit, and many more are to be found afloat, going to and fro Paris.

We reached Paris night having fallen. In the distance, the lights of the city reflected upon the water. Nearer to the ship, the cries of various fishermen and fishwives shouting about. But as one enters closer, he can see that the Palais de la Cite' is void and unlit, and the city silent. Opposite the palace, the moorings, and cheap they are as well.

Having chartered a hotel de ville for the night, I accompanied my lady towards Our Lady, wherein hopefully, the Most Reverend Archbishop might be found. There she shall receive the sacrament of confession, into the True Faith.

Iohannes

(RIP) Alys D'gris

• General group
« Reply #4 on: 06 November, 2016, 06:22:32 PM »
Why was it that the last part of the Journey always seemed to take the Longest? Alys pondered the thought as she impatiently waited for the ship to dock. The trip in truth had passed much more swiftly then she had anticipated. Perhaps they could have lingered in Barcelona for another few days, but such had been her impatience to begin the trip that Iohannes had indulged her and they have left early.

No sooner had the ship docked then she scrambled down gangplank to reach the shore. Barcelona and Iohannes were her home now, but there was such familiarity in once more walking upon the land that she had been born on. She breathed in deeply of the river air, catching the scents of bread baking, of mingled leather and very faint hints of tar.

Getting settled in the Inn seemed to take all too long when what she wanted to do was to rush to Notre Dame and see Father Janus. There were a few other matters to settle first. The trip had not tired her out at all, and she was full of energy and eager to begin. Alys took the time to sponge off the travel from herself and to change into a clean set of clothing, then impatience once more swept over her and she dashed down the hall and out the door.

The familiar market was busy as every full of faces that she knew well, who greeted her with a smile. She went to the appropriate stalls and placed her few items for sale. Hopefully they would sell well and swiftly for she had plans for the coins that they should bring. Her business there complete, she walked to Notre Dame forcing herself to be calm.

Once she arrived, she was very surprised to see how the activity was geared towards preparing the hospital wings for wounded. Alys waited, then asked a young acolyte for the news, and found out that Father Janus had been called away to Nevers. She slumped down upon the closest bench. Had the travel been for naught? Would she have to leave as she had arrived, unbaptised and unable to enter the Churches? Alys shook herself, this was not about her and her desires. Such thoughts would have to be set aside. For a few moments, she let the disappointment be fully felt and acknowledged. They could wait a few days and pray for a swift resolution to what was happening in Nevers.

With a new somberness in her step Alys returned to the Inn. She gave a quiet knock to Iohanne's door. knowing that she would have to offer him the option of returning to Barcelona. That he might not be able share in her Baptismal day cast a shadow in her lovely eyes, but she knew she would have to allow him to return.
Alys d'Gris
Duchess of Valencia
Ambassador of Aragona

(RIP) Alexander VII

• General group
  • Honour: 1
  • When sinking, PRAY! -While good hands bail water!
« Reply #5 on: 06 November, 2016, 09:25:46 PM »
The man who greeted the Eulalia at the port was a thin and spry elder man of tonsured pate and only a dusting of grey. Little more than flecks of snow in his auburn hair. His dress was simple as Franciscans were want to wear. He spoke to them after blessing the traveler at the gangway of the Eulalia. He had greeted them and blessed them, confirming Alys D'gris's name.  He was very orderly, confident, and efficient; but not cold in manner. Upon her questioning regards of The Archbishop Janus Valerius he responded briefly that he was not in Paris at the moment but was expected to return within a day.

The elder cleric noticed the distress his news deliivered upon the young lady and simply remained to try and comfort her.  Waiting for more privacy to explain further and for her to be of calmer spirit to comprehend the matters involved. He followed her to their inn and there spoke to them both.

"Yes milord, yes milady, His Grace did know you were coming. He could not postpone though. " The older monk was accustomed to conversation with laymen but it was a bit of trial for him to disappoint a nobleman and this lady. "His grace offers you the chance to attend any of the litany hours if you choose but has otherwise given me no further instruction than to prepare for your arrival and the coming ceremony. In his absence I am to offer his residenz for your hospitality but of course separate dormitories." As old as he was the man still was a little awkward with that last remark and at what his words suggested.  He has left a sealed message for you both to review at your pleasure. So saying he produced a parchment tied with a strong silk cord and sealed in the blue wax with the eye of Theos struck upon it and Janus personal motto.

My dear child,
Initiate Alys D'gris,

May the Blessings and  Peace of the divine Lord Teos be upon you and your works this day. I am hoping that this letter finds you well and content in being and spirit. I am not certain if I can claim the same by the time you read this, but I will do as I always have and place my life in the Loving hands of Teos. Abiding by the teachings of His Holy Son, Immanuelle, allow the Logos to guide my words and deeds, I am certain I will return as quickly as possible.

If you and the most noble companion I suspect you will have in attendance are in need of anything, please look to Bartholomew. Abbot Bartholomew is a dear and valuable member of the sacred cathedral of Notre Dame de Paris, and has accepted to represent me in your behalf in all ways except the consecration of you into the faith. I am still so glad that you have chosen to embrace the One True and Apostolic faith of the Ancient Theology by  your own free will. It means that you have felt the touch and heard the call of The Logos in your heart! Not every person can clear their mind and spirit well enough to see the blessings of the Only Divine.

I am afraid my acolyte, the Seminarian Carlita Borgia has also been called to my side in the matter I now face. Another dear friend who had been convalescing here, and also knew the sacred rites has come with me as well. Do not worry, we will all attend to your initiation and witness to the power of your faith as soon as matters in Nevers are stabilized by me. Until that time I ask that you pray and consider the future which you embrace. There will be those who will scorn or mock you, who name you coward, weakling, or crackpot. Let them. they will have but one lifetime to be so cruel. You are gathering to yourself the blessings of a life eternal that will never be theirs.

When you imagine the words of a few seconds weighed against the lifetime of a man or woman, they pale by comparison. Having said that, think how little they would even be noted in the face of eternity.

You will see me soon and we will bring you finally to the one path that will guarantee your reward. the chalice and cathedral are ready. Talk it over with that honored gentleman who should be there beside you if I am not mistaken. Ask him if he believes it is it's own reward? Better him than a priest who may be assumed biased. A man, much like you are a woman, both full of promise and light that will be set before the world and to deny the darkness.

In Humble Friendship,
Your Confessor and Friend,
Janus Valerius

Seeing they had come to the end of the letter , Abbot Bartholomew returned to a more sociable distance and politely announced "Please come to my door or send for myself, Abbot Bartholomew, at the cathedral church and I will be along as quick as I may. Our libraries are of course at your service also, since they are quite extensive and education is a blessing to those who deservedly apply it." Here he stepped back and exited their little meeting with signing the blessing of Teos over them both.
Faith Defines All Things; their remembrances clearly defined make them living custom.

(RIP) Alys D'gris

• General group
« Reply #6 on: 07 November, 2016, 06:27:40 AM »
She listened to the Abbot and read the letter from the Archbishop. It was as she had suspect, a true need to be elsewhere. Alys was truly ashamed of her previous thoughts and suddenly knew how she would spend the night. Once the Abbott left them she looked at Iohannes. "I think I should take this opportunity to spend the night in Vigil and Prayer." She took his hand and gave him a soft kiss. "I know that you understand my need and desire to this. I shall see you in the morning." She waited for his own words, wanting him to say that yes, this was the correct thing for her to do.
Alys d'Gris
Duchess of Valencia
Ambassador of Aragona

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
The Vigils
« Reply #7 on: 07 November, 2016, 09:29:34 AM »
I bowed my head before dame Alys, giving but one sneak look at her. Abbott Bartolomeu was waiting.
Aha, waiting for me. I enknelt myself before him to receive the blessing of his ring, and departed Nostre Dame.
Iohannes

(RIP) Alys D'gris

• General group
« Reply #8 on: 07 November, 2016, 08:17:25 PM »
Alys watches as Iohannes left, then drew in a slow deep breath. It seemed that in she had made many major decisions recently starting off with leaving her parents home, to moving to Barcelona, to completing the circle and returning here to her birthplace to receive the Sacrament of Baptism. This time would give her a chance to reflect upon both her past and her future. The present, this very moment was out of her hands, her choices already made.

She allowed herself to be guided int the chapel, and crossing herself she knelt softly reciting the Lords Prayer. The calm and peace the swept through her was but an affirmation of the decision she had been guided into, to following the softly whispered words in her soul to return here to this place. Then Alys emptied her mind, quieting herself so that she could hear the inner voice.

Once she had though to devote her life to being a servant of the church, pledging herself to Immanuel and to Teos. To learn the the art of Healing and of tending her fellow man who were in need. Then she met Iohannes, a Firm believer and it seemed everything changed in that moment when her eyes met his. Perhaps, she had begun to think her path lay elsewhere, and she followed that inner prompting to take a chance.

Alys realized that she had never questioned that inner prompting to go. Ever would she be a Child of France, but perhaps her path would lead her to be a Lady of Aragona. A child born to Middle Class merchants, could she fill the possible role of Contessa of Barcelona? Had she the skills, to honestly take that role upon herself, where the Comte to ask? She knew she was growing and changing in ways that she  could never have anticipated. Iohannes quiet faith tht she could do anything she set her mind to had encouraged her to try new and different things.

Her lips urved in a soft smile. Love such as she was beginning to feel for the Comte was naught but a pale reflection of the Divine Love she felt all about her. That Divine Love was present with every dawn she saw, every birdsong she heard, every green and growing thing she touched. It was present as she fought temptation and it was present in the quiet joy she felt when she accomplished something. For her that feeling was pivotal in her life.

The Sacrament she was about recieve was not a change in her life, but rather a Confirmation of all that she believed. The hours of the night slipped away, and she felt no tiredness, but only ever increasing joy. As the dawn of the new Day spilled over her, Alys knew beyond any whisper of a doubt that she was in the right place at the right time.
Alys d'Gris
Duchess of Valencia
Ambassador of Aragona

(RIP) Alexander VII

• General group
  • Honour: 1
  • When sinking, PRAY! -While good hands bail water!
« Reply #9 on: 07 November, 2016, 11:24:02 PM »
Janus had returned to the hillsides above Paris in the night during the hour of Prime. Everytime he approached the city he could see the twin bell towers  of the cathedral church of Notre Dame d' Paris before anything else it seemed. Maybe it was because this was all he wanted to see first, his home and sanctuary within the city. His heart was already there, beside his fellow monks and clergy as they attended the first hours missal. He knew what this one would be, and who was going to be seated where in the choir as the service was read. He could here the familiar Baritone voice of Abbot Bartholomew blending with the new novice voices who were so often tenors. They all blended in chants of thanksgiving and praise and reflection. Janus even knew which younger and older monks were likely to be asleep during the readings by the Clerist. For a moment he felt sad that he had left Acolyte Carlita back in Nevers to minister to the miners and workers there while he returned.

Of course he had also wanted her there as an early warning in case the natives of the region became restless again. Every France deserved to live in peace, but El Diavolique always wanted domination and Janus was convinced that he had met an agent of that malevolent being there. Best to have a true warden of the souls there.

By the hour of Terce Janus had returned to his residence , bathed and eaten a bit of cheese to compensate for the fast ride that had returned him. Janus's companion and friend and the great martial leader Berton Berton?  Well, both had returned to their duties, as was certainly the right thing for each of them. Janus had enjoyed the time in prayer and fellowship they had shared and he felt uplifted especially by Sister Mendoza faith and her presence. It had made the thought of today's celebration in the cathedral even more special to him.

The cold wash in his water basin, the shave of his face, the prayers and rosaries he had said as he worked his morning routine. A blessing for every action and an act of faith in every step. When he was fully prepared he set out to see Abbot Bartholomew and find out if the celebrant and her escort had arrived. Of course, the services at Terce were no time for a proper baptism, so if they were asleep somewhere in the city he would be glad to know that as well. Not wanting to interrupt the peaceful procession of the other monks and students at the cathedral, Bartholomew had warmly and quietly whispered his report that the lady had remained in contemplative meditation but that her gentleman escort had retired elsewhere.

Janus was very pleased at what he heard and could only begin to imagine how each had felt at that parting. Today though, he hoped to see them both united in joy and in faith as the Mademoiselle  D'gris was given her key to eternal life. After the offices of Terce were complete, Janus went to the chapel of the Blessed Holy Mother Rosario and made a special benediction for the young woman. It never occurred to him to interrupt her contemplations at such an early hour. His prayer to the Holy Mother included a wish that the young woman find some peace and rest before she was called to her celebration.
Faith Defines All Things; their remembrances clearly defined make them living custom.

(RIP) Alys D'gris

• General group
« Reply #10 on: 08 November, 2016, 05:04:11 AM »
The light of the dawn washed over her like a benediction, welcoming her into Faith she had willfully and Knowingly chosen. Alys remembered the first lesson that Father Janus had given to her as a very young child and her mind drifted back to it...

"Father Janus I have a questions." The young six year old girl had lightly tugged on the Priest's robe. Her parents had moved forward, slightly embarrassed at their forward child. The Priest however waved them back, kneeling to place himself at the Young Girl's eye level. "Why is the sky Blue? Why is it grey before it rains? What happens to the blue when the grey covers it?" The trio of questions spilled out, even as she waved her arm at the clear blue sky.

Very kindly the Priest listened gravely to her questions. The inquisitive mind of a child was something to be treasured. He pondered over the questions giving them the full weight that they deserved. "The sky is blue my Child because it represents the purity of Teos Love for us. Just as Blue is a pure color, so Teos love for us is Pure. Just as Blue is a base for other Colors, Teo's love is the base for our Life and all that we can accomplish." He was well pleased to see the child's head nod in understanding.

"Like when I use blue and yellow to make green?" Alys asked emboldened by the fact he was actually answering her questions and not brushing her off. "And when the sky goes gray? Is the Blue still there behind it?"

He nodded. "The grey means that the rain will soon fall, nourishing them Earthy, but yes, behind the Grey I believe the sky is still Blue. Just as sometimes when we choose to something we should not, we feel that Teo's will no long Love us. Yet once we ask for forgiveness and Confess our sins, we come to know that Teo's has never stopped Loving loving us." He was concerned that perhaps he had gone too deep, but the young girl nodded her head. He saw understanding in her clear blue eyes and then leaned towards her and softly whispered, "I think teos has the Heart of a Frenchmen and surely must have a special place in his regard for curious blue eyed French Girls!" He heard another call his name and he Rose lightly running a hand over golden hair and whispering a blessing. As he went to turn away the girl's Father said "Thank you Father Janus"

His words and kindness stayed with her always. The young child had been hurt when the Kind Priest had been called away to serve a Larger Parish then her own small village. When her parents send her to Paris, she wondered if they had known that Archbishop Janus was at Notre Dame. The would have known that their daughter would turn even more towards her Heavenly father as she separated herself from her Earthly parents. Finding father Janus here had comforted her greatly. It had taken a bit after the initial meeting for the pair of the realize the role that each had played in the other's life.

Now at this time, the moment when she would fully and firmly commit herself to her religion, she would receive the Blessing from the same man who had initially set her feet upon this path. Then she was summoned to the Chapel and it was time for the Sacrament to begin. As she entered she saw Iohannes sitting in the small chapel. Her joy rose even higher.

(Memory taken from from a bit of Chat room play)
« Last Edit: 08 November, 2016, 05:32:29 AM by Alys D'gris »
Alys d'Gris
Duchess of Valencia
Ambassador of Aragona