Author Topic: Feast - Great Hall  (Read 4637 times)

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
  • Honour: 0
  • Beatae Chaterinae anuli anulifer
The welcoming
« Reply #30 on: 16 February, 2017, 04:07:40 PM »
We made ready to receive our guests. As is tradition, the newly wed Comital couple would sit in the Tinell on the curule thrones, and receive all who come, be they noble, or commoner, or beggar, all.

The majordom will stand by the door, announcing those who arrive, their rank and entourage.

As I sat, I grasped in one hand the hand of Aliz, to my left, and in the other, paper and pencil.

Iohannes

(RIP) Berton Berton

• General group
Re: Feast - Great Hall
« Reply #31 on: 16 February, 2017, 06:37:43 PM »
Berton showed up sucking his left thumb as an infant. Hammered by the *** rebellious, the finger was still very swollen and sore.
Being intent in that activity, his farewell words were difficult to understand.

(RIP) Fernán Sanchez

• General group
  • Baby Member
  • No hay bien sin trabajo
« Reply #32 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:26:51 PM »
Fernán went inside the Comital Palace. He did not fit within a noble home from longtime. But that was not the time to remember the past. What has happened it has happened and will never return.
It had been in Ampuries to fight the rebels dogs, was seriously wounded, but Father Teodoro had healed him, and now he had come in shape.
It was in that building because he had received the invitation for the feast by Count Ioans. The invitation was an obligation. His moral code required him not to miss the party. And then ... there was a fantastic woman who perhaps at that Palace could encounter.
He crossed the long corridor and finally found himself inside the court. At the center they were sitting the Count Ioans and his new wife, Alys. Both had a royal look. From centuries the dynasty of Barcelona has been at the center of the events of the Crown of Aragon.

It was announced his arrival:
"Don Fernán Sanchez, from the kingdom of Castile and Leon ..."

The young Castilian bowed in front of the married couple.

"My Lord and my Lady, I bring you my warmest greetings. I am here to participate in your happiness, your beautiful wedding. If you allow, I have here for you a small gift. It has no great artistic or monetary value, but for me and for all the knights of the Orden de Santiago is of immense value. "

From a small bag she came out a little wooden painting

"This gift is from part of all the knights of the Order, I hope you enjoy it .."
Fernán Sanchez

(RIP) Alys D'gris

• General group
« Reply #33 on: 17 February, 2017, 08:54:19 PM »
Alys Settled beside her husband to warmly greet each guest and to accept the wedding gifts. Unlike last time when she was so new to the city and to the people, she was now comfortable. The sapphire dress she wore now had been a gift from husband as was the silver belt that encircled her slender waist loosely. Her eyes met her husband's and they shone with both love and happiness. Her hand, ensconced in his, tightened slightly as she smiled.

Gracia was the first the come and she received a very warm smile. Over the last few months they had become trading partners, with much of Alys' wool going to her. "Thank you very much for attending our wedding Gracia!" She and Iohannes had spoken of a wedding trip, perhaps they would travel through all the Iberian Kingdoms? It would be good to visit people in their homes, and of course to do a bit of trading!

She saw Constable Berton enter and write his name in the book as well. Her  gaze went to his swollen hand and she knew immediately what he needed. She looked over her shoulder for one of the Servants, and sent her to what was once her own  room. When the  servant returned  she quickly wrote a note and attached it to the vial. ' Constable, I cannot have you wandering about in pain. Please accept this potion to restore your health. I do understand that you may consider the injury too trivial for such a thing. If you choose to save it until the need is greater I do understand. Alys" Then she sent the woman on her way to his side to hand him both the note and the potion.

Then Don Fernán Sanchez approached and spoke with such courtesy that she could not help but to smile and bow her head down as she received the gift. "Thank you very much." She notice how his eyes looked about for Urraca. Should Urraca chose to appear she would have no difficulty in allowing this Knight to court her, so long as his intentions were fully honorable.

Alys d'Gris
Duchess of Valencia
Ambassador of Aragona

Gregorios Kantakouzenos

• General group
« Reply #34 on: 17 February, 2017, 11:30:53 PM »
 Previous months were difficult for me, i was get used the military tent at Levante, the bleeding and the pain of war is causing.

This voyage to Barcino is a perfect opportunity for me to escape from battles, revolts, native rebelions and the countless hours at Logothetes assembly. At the moment i embarked Santa Eulalia at Constantinople i knew that next days will be peaceful, full of joy and relaxed hapiness.

It was a promise to attend this wedding and a honor to be best man, months ago. This time i returned to Barcino with a different title but i didnt wanted to treated more appropriate than a friend. My guards, my servants and of course me covered our heads with dark cloaks at Barcino's dark streets. The Alemanni barbarian this time recognized Salon de Tinel and Palace Maior and guide our company correctly.

Its a tradition the best man bring wedding gifts to the happy new married couple. At my country often those regalia are placed at the center of the chapel during the ceremony. The big door of the hall, where the couple is accepting wishes and gifts, opened. I removed my head cover and with a hand nod i stopped the announcing of my name. Probably all will recognize my face. Servants opened the wooden chests and started to lay at Comte's legs a iron plate armor

...from the imperial blacksmith shop of Korinthos...my servant announced, and Ioans signed with his head

Another wooden chest opened a silk noblegown dress started emerging and the eyes of Alys become bigger

...from the finest silk of the East, made in the Blachernae by experts...

I left the longsword at the end, i wanted to give it personally to the Comte

...forged in fire using steel of Damascus, i said

...hope never used and ended my talk, Aly's head turned and looked like every woman see her husband holding a killing weapon...

This time it were Ioan's eyes to be bigger and took the longsword of my hands with a gesture, he saw the red ribbon locking the cross guard of the sword at the scabbard and he knew that at Constantinople we dont draw a sword in front the of me....

A big smile turned my look,

......Congratulations to the bride and groom on their happy union!

Alexandros Kokkinos

• General group
« Reply #35 on: 18 February, 2017, 01:26:05 PM »
I was looking outside the window of the Scholon Barracks near the Great Palace. Spring is coming and my thoughts travel to my Emperor Gregorios Kantakouzenos. How much I would like to be in this journey with him, but crucial state matters keep me here in Constantinople.

I am sure that my Emperor will give the new married couple my congratulations letter and the wedding gifts I send.

Hair comb for the Fair Lady and a golden bracelet for the Comte from the finest goldsmith of the Empire.

« Last Edit: 18 February, 2017, 01:55:40 PM by Alexandros Kokkinos »

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
Sedut et Barbut
« Reply #36 on: 18 February, 2017, 04:07:41 PM »
I met eyes with the Connestable General as he approached us. As usual, he came in unannounced, merely waving off the majordom, sucking on his sore thumb almost all the way to the canopy, and muttering something. I bowed my head to him. Berton Baron led both the Papal Host and the armies of Spain at Empuries. I owed him greatly for keeping the land safe. Many did. While I could do nothing to relieve his pain but offer him strong drink and good conversation, Aliz would in turn ask the servants to present him with a remedy to his numbness.

The next military presence was assured by the Knights of Santiago, led by Fernan Sanchez. This knyghte presented us with an oilen paint of his patron embattled with the Saracen, which the Knights hold so dear. The young Castilian bowed before us and spoke:"My Lord and my Lady, I bring you my warmest greetings. I am here to participate in your happiness, your beautiful wedding. If you allow, I have here for you a small gift. It has no great artistic or monetary value, but for me and for all the knights of the Orden de Santiago is of immense value."
I received the gift and presented it to the court, and decided that the canvas would be placed upon the west wall of the Tinell, to the left when entering. I invited don Fernan to stay a while, that we may properly discuss the Order.

Multiple persons dressed all in dark robes and headdresses, in the greek manner came in, and surrounded the majordom. I knew...Another man came in, striding towards us, and all the others followed. The man lifted his head cover to reveal himself to be the Roman Emperor...my friend, Gregorios. His servants and slaves brought in presents for the House of Barcelona, the like of which we had never seen in the West, for these were made ofthe finest fineries of the vast possessions of the basileus, and some from even further. As they explained, I nodded..."plate armor...from the imperial blacksmith shop of Korinthos...a silk noblegown dress...from the finest silk of the East, made in the Blachernae...The palace tailors no less...Hair comb for the Fair Lady and a golden bracelet for the Comte from the finest goldsmith of the Empire...Having the servants cleared, Gregorios extracted a longsword and firnly handed it to me...forged in fire using steel of Damascus, he said!

I extracted the sword and gave it a moulinette, to see what balance the smiths of the east favour...Two and three times, the sword swung around my wrist, without even a pinch of effort. I fixed my eyes on Gregorios', who seemed to have been fighting a smile...Surely, he knew that once I tried eastern things I would be fascinated by them...The sword was sheathed, and baldricked to my hips. It made a pleasing sound when entering its scabbard...truly a pleasure to fence with it.

I approached Gregorios to embrace him and kissed him thrice upon the cheeks to thank him. I moved for a drink. Waiting for the servants to bring refreshment I stroked my beard, and I could not stop thinking of how he was abeard last time we saw each other. To see one other beard shaved off in the world made me upset and fearful of the future.I hoped it was not because of his high new office, for if that be the case, better to be a ragged cur, but marked with the wysdom that the beard bring. Or perhaps he had seen how the Romans of old wore their faces unfurred until they adopted the noble custom of beard growing from the Hellenes...
« Last Edit: 18 February, 2017, 04:11:47 PM by Ioans De Tata »
Iohannes

(RIP) Urraca d'Urgell

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #37 on: 21 February, 2017, 02:43:43 PM »
Lady Urraca entered in the room. The young lady was embarrassed. He not have confidence with events like this. His life was spend in the linen field of Barcelona and his life pass in silence and solitude.
Some days ago he received a letter from a Castilian citizen that have show interest for her.
This Castilian citizen, as tell Countes Alys, seems a good and noble man, but Urraca was shy and awkward.
He entered in the great hall by a secondary entrance, saluted the Count and Countess and then sat down next to Alys; next to his Lady, Urraca she felt protected.

Gregorios Kantakouzenos

• General group
« Reply #38 on: 21 February, 2017, 10:20:39 PM »
 Ioans was right, shaving a beard cause a deduction of visible wisdom, but the many days in a military tent at Levante, the dirt and suffer whispered me to relieve from it. So before i wore the purple inside a hot bath at Constantinople, when the steams relaxed my body, i decided to cut off.

Usually the traditions around a wedding vary through countries, but some remain the same. Those are the large amounts of food, wine, the Maid of Honor, the bridal veil, flowers and of course the lucky garters!

The great hall of Palau Major was proper decorated with a lot of flowers and everyone started to take their places at the long table

My place was right to the groom Ioans and we all waited the new married couple to enter and be seated, its the moment all will stare the beautiful bride at her wedding dress and the ladies of honor.

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
Conclusion and afterrmath
« Reply #39 on: 01 March, 2017, 04:41:15 PM »
I thought the whole affair was conducted masterfully. As a major quest and turnstone of our lives, a wedding entails endless hours of preparation, having first overcome the endless hours of prayer and tribulation caused by the fatal decision that yes, that is The person & yes, that is this person which god in His infinite wysdom and munificence has decided you should meet. Endless hours of preparation indeed, where also there as a trial by which you will see whether the fateful questions are even necessary.

The feast what follow'd the ceremony remains in my memory afuzz, but I do know there was myrth, and war stories, and the Tinell was full of gents, and we spoke through to the night. So a masterful occasion & a way to gather your friends and loved ones. The many greeks present imbued oriental sophistication into those days, along with their customs, in which we shared, and made our own. In the lands of my fathers, by the Pyrenees there were customs of making terrible noise and laughing the devil away out loud, and cursing like mongrels. In Toulouse, the weddings are a matter of some flair, wherein half the city attends, uninvited, for if the ceremony be held in San Sernin, they would be on the square anyway, and the capitouls show up to drink all the wine. The oriental style involves another practice which I find most vivid and frightening. At some point, the groom must break a cup or dish, as it was in old Testament tymes. If it break the couple will have the favour of the Almighty, what if dothn't break? And this goes back to ancient times, when wandered Aristotle, or so they say.

Love, what of that? Until I delved into the arcane of that art, many years ago, I thought of how perhaps I was alack, for I could not but rarely speak of it to those I felt it for, for I was fearful, for if the truth was eternal, I had no need to speak it, even when prompted. But then came I to the court of the Count of Champagne, who there bestowed upon me a booke written for his ancestress Marie, daughter of Louis the young and Alianor, and this was the art of Courtly love. Be wary when reading the books labeled courtly, for at tymes they may lead you to damnation and torment further, for they speak of passion only. And worse still the latest of troubadours, who sing all of the same, and copy the old masters. Rare are those today who can sing from the heart and speak truly, of love.

& So sayeth Cappellanus (12th c.) on the tenets of love.

The true lover does not desire to embrace anyone but his lover.
Love, when published, rarely endures.
Easy winning makes love despicable; the difficult is held dear.
The lover turns pale & trembles at the sight of the other.
The lover is always fearful.
The one whom the thought of love disturbs eats and sleeps little.

Now cometh March, as we enter the Quaresme, and await for easter. And we were married Aliz and I on the day of St. Valentine of Rome, in the year of our Lord mcccxvii

Iohannes

(RIP) Fernán Sanchez

• General group
  • Baby Member
  • No hay bien sin trabajo
« Reply #40 on: 02 March, 2017, 03:38:17 PM »
Count Ioans was preparing to send license his guests. The party was really nice and pleasant. Drink good wine and beer, and talk and talk of faith, sword and love.
Fernán had failed to declare him to the young Urraca. But she was too shy to leave his Mistress, the Countess Alys.
It is said that wine and beer do find the words to those in daily life can not esprire their feelings. But that evening Fernán was like paralyzed. But when he heard that the Count was about to conclude the feast, he took courage and decided to speak to Lady Urraca.
He approached her and said the simple words of praise for the superb beauty of the young and a bow to make itself available to her. Finally an invitation to meet again sooner or later, to speak more calmly.
« Last Edit: 02 March, 2017, 03:49:29 PM by Fernán Sanchez »
Fernán Sanchez

(RIP) Berton Berton

• General group
« Reply #41 on: 02 March, 2017, 07:08:41 PM »
Blessed girl, Ioans is really a lucky man thought Berton sipping a final cup before leaving.

As usual, not feeling comfortable on social occasions, he had taken refuge in the buffet.

(RIP) Urraca d'Urgell

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #42 on: 07 March, 2017, 03:16:25 PM »
I had spent the whole night next to my lady. Beside her I felt protected, in that room where the male was predominant. Apparently Fernán was a shy man, he could not speak to her. When all was ending the Castilian knight came up and asked me for an appointment. I watched my lady Alys, who with a slight hint of his head gave me approval.
After I made a bow, greeted all the guests and left the room.

"Don Ferná, I hope to come soon in Castile, would like to see Burgos and sell some of my products. Perhaps we will be able to review in those lands. Thank you again for your invitation, goodnight."