Author Topic: Feast - Great Hall  (Read 3310 times)

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
  • Honour: 0
  • Beatae Chaterinae anuli anulifer
Feast - Great Hall
« on: 14 October, 2016, 12:07:08 PM »

This hall has not held a banquet for long!

Let the trobadors sing, the servants cook the foodstuffs, the falconers bring their birds, the jugglers run amok.

There is wine at the market in abundance for the people of Catalunya to taste, the wine of the Kings, Sang Reial.

"Quarter past terce, still making good time", I thought to myself. Hoping that all the students of Valencia had arrived safely in Barcelona, I would then deliver a lecture tonight in the palau Reial Maior.

But first, music:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaRNvJLKP1E</a>
« Last Edit: 15 October, 2016, 03:21:37 PM by Ioans De Tata »
Iohannes

(RIP) Alys D'gris

• General group
Re: Feast - Great Hall
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2016, 03:09:46 AM »
She had slept well and spent the day exploring Barcelona. The cobbled streets, the red tiled homes, she did not know where to look next. So Alys simply absorbed everything. When she grew tired, it was back to the Inn where a message from Iohannes to attend the Feast.  As she only a few articles of clothing, it was easy to decide what to wear. She took the time to bathe and worked her hair into an elaborate twist.

Picking up her cloak she wrapped it about herself and walked to the Castle. It was still a source of amazement to her that she was allowed admittance. Her low heeled boots mad almost no sound upon the floor as she followed the music that drifted upon the air. There she found him, Iohannes.

"I am here! Thank you so very much for the invitation.
Alys d'Gris
Duchess of Valencia
Ambassador of Aragona

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2016, 01:18:30 PM »
I had spent much of the evening conversing with various guests, amid the courses of food being served, and strolls through the courtyard.
When those least accustomed to even the slight chill of the evening desired in, I stepped into the Salon del Tinell, and observed the myrth from a distance.

Behind me a familiar voice and a familiar scent. Frankish Rose. I turned around. Madame de Gris, a lady of France was there. She had caught my invitation to come to Barcelona for the feast, and came indeed, through France and Burgundy and Languedoc. A courageous woman of spirit, and very beautiful to behold...

I walked towards her, smiling, to greet her into my home.

Dame Alys, for long have we seen each other in sodden taverns and murky inns...Take now place in these halls and these chambers, for as long as thou desirest.

I extended my right arm, that she could insert her own under, and that we might together rejoin the celebration.
Iohannes

Berton Berton

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2016, 02:37:58 PM »
Far from the glance of Caterina's relic Berton felt better, maybe also because  the effects of excessive drinking were gone and the the atmosphere of the castle was most relaxing.

A little gift for you, said approaching Lord Ioans.

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
« Reply #4 on: 15 October, 2016, 03:10:20 PM »
Stopped in my tracks, I turned towards Lord Berton. Raising my finger, I exclaimed:

Just a moment, madame.

I bowed my head to the Lord Constable and admired his gift for me. A wooden sword and scabbard. I understood the message of that gift and let out a roaring laugh. I took the sword and executed a moulinette. I smiled at Berton:

Thank thee for this. It shall go to my son, once he is of age, that he may become a better warrior than his father.

Said that, I shook the Constable's hand, and welcomed him. I once again extended my right arm towards madame Alys...
Iohannes

Gracia Mendoza

• General group
« Reply #5 on: 15 October, 2016, 03:28:08 PM »

Gracia was admiring the beautiful Salon del Tinell when she saw Lord Ioans greet a lovely lady and start walking together. After a moment, Lord Constable Berton joined them and offered a gift to the new Vassal that made him laugh.

She approached them and made a reverence.

"Lord Ioans, what a nice party you have organiced for us!"

And then, looking to Lord Constable:

"Lord Berton, it is a pleasure to meet you."

Then she turned to the young and pretty lady:

"Will you be so kind, Lord Ioans, to introduce me to your guest?"

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
« Reply #6 on: 15 October, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
Once again interrupted, I withdrew my arms behind my back.

Senhora Gracia, I bowed my head before her and continued smirkingly; the lady would introduce herself...but I shall introduce you to her.

ma dame, This is Gracia Mendoza, Duchess of Burgos, magistra of the cathedra of Arts at the University of Masters and scholars of Valencia, one of my greatest friends in this world, and a person I admire much for her work and great dedication.

I kept my silence then on, looking at the two women...

Iohannes

Alexandros Kokkinos

• General group
« Reply #7 on: 15 October, 2016, 04:28:11 PM »
I found myself in banquets of Empress Thekla in Konstantinople long before, but this one is exceptional.

Kings and lords from all around the world came to honor Lord Ioans.
The food is delicious and the wine divine.

I have to find the chance to talk to the new Comte de Barcelona and give him the gifts I brought.

(A rare manuscript the Strategikon written by Emperor Mavricius and  a gold-embroidered mantua)

Ow! Lady Alys D'gris.......... Her hair is almost golden and the blue of her eyes reminds me the waters of the Bosporus.
Oops, I missed again the Comte.

Gregorios Kantakouzenos

• General group
« Reply #8 on: 15 October, 2016, 04:47:14 PM »
The warm day and the cold sea breeze of the night at Valencia was the ideal rest after the long trip from Constantinople with the catalan ship named Santa Eulalia and after that the protocol attending of Comte Ioans De Tata investment.

I was relaxing at Valencia's hammam when a messenger with a scroll from Ioans entered, it was an invitation to Barcino to visit Comte's Palau, Santa Maria Del Mar and survey Ioan's fiefdom.

My stay at Iberia couldnt be better, shortly after my arrival at Barcino i headed to the  local tavern Salon del Tinell.

The sounds from trobadors singing and the smells of roasted meat  showed me easily the way, when i opened the door i noticed familiar faces

It was Comte Ioans, Lord Berton, Senora Gracia, Captain Alexandros and interesting new people

Wine for everyone..... i shouted and stormed to Ioans company

Ioans my friend could you introduce me, especially the ladies first....

« Last Edit: 15 October, 2016, 05:04:44 PM by Gregorios Kantakouzenos »

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
« Reply #9 on: 15 October, 2016, 05:23:09 PM »
Seeing more guests entering the palace, I left the ladies to face off and I went mingling.

Alexander Kokkinos entered bearing splendid gifts, which marveled the world out of me. It was something out of the Magnaura itself, almost. I felt as the Emperor, receiving such tokens.
I bowed deeply before Captain Kokkinos, unsure of how exactly to thank him. I remembered then the saying of the old folks back home:
"If gifted a shoe, try it on."
I slid the ornate silken mantle upon my shoulders, and it was stunning. But the book, the Strategikon, I opened and browsed immediately, and I would not hear anything but the words therein.

Ser Alexander, you have made an old bookworm very happy. This booke shall bring the knoweldge of the Greeks into Aragon. I am a man of peace, but I believe Maurikios himself would follow that old adage; If you wish for peace, prepare for war. And with this booke, I shall indeed be well prepared!
Thank you!

The other arrival was the very bearded and very charismatic presence of Gregorios Kantakouzen. He, trained from youth to recognise the splendour of the palaces of the Hellenes, mistook the Salo'del Tinell of the Palace of Kings for a tavern, and commended us for the care with which we of the west take care of our public houses.

"Wine for everyone!",
he exclaimed, and stormed towards me, urging me to introduce him to the ladies...
I'm sure I saw what must have been his servant hauling several amphorae of wine, when he meekly entered the hall after his master. The Greeks always come well prepared.

I put my hands upon is shoulders and kissed him on the cheek.

Ladies and gentlemen, this is Gregorios Kantakouzenos, doctor of Medicine, Lord Chamberlain of the Roman Empire, the despot of Demetrias, honoured Dean of our University, head of the Catheder of Medicine and scholar of history.

« Last Edit: 15 October, 2016, 05:25:13 PM by Ioans De Tata »
Iohannes

Gregorios Kantakouzenos

• General group
« Reply #10 on: 15 October, 2016, 08:48:20 PM »

The other arrival was the very bearded and very charismatic presence of Gregorios Kantakouzen. He, trained from youth to recognise the splendour of the palaces of the Hellenes, mistook the Salo'del Tinell of the Palace of Kings for a tavern, and commended us for the care with which we of the west take care of our public houses.

It was the wine of Valencia and the sea sick from Santa Eulalia. Then i was trying to find out which of my servants misguided our company and told us that the wonderful Salo del Tinell was just the local tavern.

12 whips to the Alemmani barbarian, next time he wont be drunk when he ask directions...

But to warm our evening, i will start with a poem of Sappho from Lesvos

Lilies
(For those with a broken heart, a journey in five parts)
I.
O lover, with your skin so white
The purest alabaster
Delicate as the whitest lily that
Only opens its petals at night

II.
Come to me, my love
Across fields full of lilies at night
The stars shining overhead
Are witnesses to our love
As bright as the sky.

III.
O, the heart wants what it wants,
Imagining its perfect mate.
Alas, it cannot be so
Yesterday's heart has lost its mate.

So imagine the new one
With the trepidation that replaces the longing for what was
With what is.
The lonely crying—
the mourning doves never sounded so sad!

IV.
But know that the heart wants to love
And a new love will blossom
Filling that void with its rapturous beauty.

V.
Come to me, my love
Across fields full of lilies
And all looks new tonight.

Alexandros Kokkinos

• General group
« Reply #11 on: 15 October, 2016, 11:09:58 PM »
As soon as the Lord Kantakouzenos finished the poem from the other side of the table several knights started to sing a joyful local song

Catalunya triomfant,
tornarà a ser rica i plena.
Endarrera aquesta gent
tan ufana i tan superba.
Bon cop de falç,
Bon cop de falç,
Defensors de la terra!
Bon cop de falç!
Ara és hora, segadors.
Ara és hora d'estar alerta.
Per quan vingui un altre juny
esmolem ben bé les eines.
Bon cop de falç,
Bon cop de falç,
Defensors de la terra!
Bon cop de falç!
Que tremoli l'enemic
en veient la nostra ensenya.
Com fem caure espigues d'or,
quan convé seguem cadenes.
Bon cop de falç,
Bon cop de falç,
Defensors de la terra!
Bon cop de falç!
Catalonia triumphant
shall again be rich and bountiful.
Drive away these people,
Who are so conceited and so contemptful.
Strike with your sickle!
Strike with your sickle, defenders of the land!
Strike with your sickle!
Now is the time, reapers.
Now is the time to stand alert.
For when another June comes,
Let us sharpen well our tools.
Strike with your sickle!
Strike with your sickle!
May the enemy tremble,
upon seeing our symbol.
Just as we cut golden ears of wheat,
when the time calls we cut off chains.
Strike with your sickle!
Strike with your sickle!

And then musicians stood around them, and breathed sweet melodies through sea-shells of rainbow hue, while  gentle white veiled Ladies of the Kingdom of Aragona danced to the music.
« Last Edit: 16 October, 2016, 10:38:22 AM by Alexandros Kokkinos »

(RIP) Ioans De Tata

• General group
Aquí és nostre capità - aquí és nostra bandera
« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2016, 11:04:56 AM »
Lord Gregorios entuned a soft song of ancient times. The notation of the Greeks has not survived to have us know how Sapho would sing it, but Gregorios with his voice made it pleasant to the ear, and even translated it in the common tongue, that we may all hear of the passion of longing.

The knights of Catalunya sang a song both beautiful and sorrowful, which reminded us of the Moor when he was on christian lands, and of the pride of the Catalans. But darker tunes yet would be sung in the future, in Catalunya, I could feel it. Not even Rome stood for eternity...

I rejoined the trobadors, and grabbed an oud.

Senyors i senyoras, per vos, el cant dels auzels!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRXEO-v-CJ8
Iohannes

(RIP) Alys D'gris

• General group
« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:37:04 PM »
There was so much happening at once! It was almost too much for a simple woman, like Alys knew she was. Still, she should have expected the great nobility of the Guests the came to congratulate Iohannes. Setting as side her shyness, the petite woman finally curtseyed towards Senhora Garcia. "Your Grace it is an Honor and pleasure to meet you."Her voice carried the French accent of her home.

Then  Gregorios Kantakouzenos was introduced and Alys looked at in almost in awe, for here was a man who carried the title of Doctor, the very one that she aspired too. In this setting she knew not what to say but gave him a warm smile and a curtsey. Perhaps in time she would find the words, but for now it was all a source of wonder to her.

The Knights performed songs that almost made her heart weep, and Iohannes followed with his own song. She should have expected that he would sing well, as there seemed to be no end to his talents.

(My apoligies for the delay in my post. Circumstances kept me from posting until now!)
Alys d'Gris
Duchess of Valencia
Ambassador of Aragona

Berton Berton

• General group
« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2016, 08:49:47 PM »
Lot to drink but no thanks, I have to detoxify after my fruitless challenge, thought Berton choosing a fruit juice. I wonder if we are going to dance, if so best to find a partner in advance. An added reason to make polite bows and smiles to the ladies.