Author Topic: The D' Arcy Chronicles  (Read 622 times)

Alain D' Arcy

• General group
  • Honour: 0
The D' Arcy Chronicles
« on: 07 August, 2016, 12:21:23 AM »
The D' Arcy Chronicles

VOLUME I:

"A JOURNEY FOR JUSTICE"

Prologue--Cairo, Mamluk

Early August, 1316

(Alain D' Arcy, Guard Captain of Hainaut, Flanders sits in the Officers' Quarters of the Prison/Barracks in Cairo, Mamluk and thinks about the events of the last few weeks.) 

Staring out the window, Alain watched the sun as it sank into the desert.  Cairo is a lovely place he thought, but much more so when his traveling companion was someone--anyone other than the person just down the corridor from him.  He toyed with the small ribbon that was concealed under his clothes and ever tied around his neck.  A little smile crept its way to his lips and his heart felt a bit lighter.  As he relaxed he began feeling drowsy, so he closed his eyes and let the events of the past weeks flood his mind--events that took him from his peaceful home in Flanders across oceans, the burning deserts in Mamluk, the the ancient ruins of the Byzantine Empire, up the Adriatic coast and, finally, culminating in a frenzy far into the western reaches of the mountains found in the Archduchy of Austria.  Then, only to return (unexpectedly) to Cairo...

Chapter 1--Hainaut, Flanders

Late July, 1316:

Alain read with distress the scroll just handed to him.   "It says that there are some very disturbing events in the Kingdom of Cyrene.  Have you ever heard of that  place, Gartan?"

The old but spry and longserving graybeard, creator of his own title: The "Personal Courier of The Baron of Mons",  looked puzzled.  "I cannot say I have, Milord. Never heard of it until now."

It is a kingdom due west by land of the ancient Kingdom of Mamluk, and on a heading due south by sea of the region of Lecce on the Italian peninsula.  You will get to know it much better, I'm sure.  We both will."  He grinned at the now worried messenger.

"Now wait a minute! Wait a min-"

Alain raised a hand to stop to stop the makings of another of Gartan's epic protests.  "Don't dispair, my ever-worried friend. This time, we won't even sail in the same ship."

Gartan's jaw dropped as he now looked even more confused.

"I'll tell you more later, as I'm sure you will not cease to agonize about it until you know more."

Gartan stared at the floor and began to tremble a bit.

Alain's grin grew wider,  "Be sure to eat well tonight at dinner--I'll be too busy to join you.  We leave at Midnight."

"Yes, Milord." Gartan sighed.

The nervous courier bowed and quickly made his way out of the Baron's office into a small courtyard which led to private stable used only by Alain, Gartan and of course, his beloved wife Esmee Van Damme, when the busy Ambassador and Vassal visited him in Hainaut.

His grin faded into a frown of concern as he watched his messenger depart.  Alain again, very slowly, read the dispatch that was to take him far from his home this very night.  News that made him sad and a bit angry at the same time:  Someone or some group had been terrorizing the population and destroying the property of the peace-loving, small Kingdom of Cyrene.  Alain knew his longtime friend in Derne might need help.  Prometeo Cagliostro (then Cleric and recently promoted to Bishop) of the Theological Church was a person Alain knew could possibly help him find whomever was responsible for the crimes in Cyrene, and bring an end to their aggressive ways.  He called his secondary courier (whom he took-away from other tasks around the estate only when Gartan was otherwise engaged) and gave him a scroll for Esmee explaining that he was again going on a long trip with no idea of the date of his return.  As he watched the young message-bearer depart for Esmee's castle in Liege, he wondered how many times he had to put her through this and how much heavier than normal it made his heart feel when he could not bid his cherised wife farewell in person.

Shaking the painful thought from his mind, he finished what paperwork he needed for the trip and began to gather his weapons and other personal belongings.  He had a feeling Midnight would be here sooner than expected--not only for the fearful Gartan, but for himself as well...

[NEXT: Chasing a Criminal
« Last Edit: 12 August, 2016, 04:15:39 AM by Alain D' Arcy »
sig removed by CrazyToe due to rule violation and ignoring PM

Alain D' Arcy

• General group
  • Honour: 0
Re: The D' Arcy Chronicles
« Reply #1 on: 31 August, 2016, 04:08:00 PM »
Out of respect for the recently deposed monarch of Cyrene, this chapter of The D' Arcy Chronicles shall remain untold for now.   Even though the criminal was finally apprehended after an exhaustive manhunt,  reliving the events that ultimately did not help the situation as it unfolded for Cyrene would not be proper at this time.  Hopefully, when things change again in that corner of the map, this story can be recounted in the spirit in which it was conducted.  Thank you.
sig removed by CrazyToe due to rule violation and ignoring PM