Author Topic: Trial 005/1316 - Kingdom of Flanders vs Jacqueline Deveille  (Read 1194 times)

Arnaut Borluut

• General group
  • Baby Member
  • Honour: 0
Trial 005/1316 - Kingdom of Flanders vs Jacqueline Deveille
Magistrate : Arnaut Borluut
Prosecutor : Giulia Aldobrandeschi
Defendant : Jacqueline Deveille

DATA OF THE ACCUSED
Name : Jacqueline Deveille
Parish :  Avranches, Kingdom of Normandy
born on :31-Jan-1316

DATA OF THE FELONY
Parish of violation : Ieper, Kingdom of Flanders
Date of violation : 12-May-1316
Matter of fact : The defendant is infected with the Dark Plaguebut did not inform the authorities. This is a violation of law XXIX

XXIX. Closed Borders to disease carriers - All foreigners infected with any plague or disease are forbidden to enter Flanders' lands unless permission has been given by the Sovereign.
All infected refusing to travel to the appointed quarantine region will entail immediate imprisonment for at least 48 hours to provide for the healing.
The suspicion of intentional act will be prosecuted as an "XXV. Attack on Kingdom Security and Prestige" offense.
[Classification C-Severe crime target: everyone infected, prison term: 0-2 days, fine: up to 400sc]
Both, defendant and prosecutor, have been informed about the trial, asking to appear personally or to appoint a barrister/Defense Attorney
(Prosecutor and defendant are requested to appear and speak up within 24 hours from opening of the trial.)

(RIP) Jacqueline Deveille

• General group
  • Baby Member
Re: Trial 005/1316 - Kingdom of Flanders vs Jacqueline Deveille
« Reply #1 on: 12 May, 2016, 08:59:45 PM »
When i contracted the plague I contacted Janus Valerius about healing in Paris but was informed that he was unable to do it. The king of Normandy then got someone to send me details of whom to contact about healing in Brugge. I was informed that it was Sister Belle D'aquitaine whom I should contact Brugge. I have written twice to the holy sister on the 10th and 11th of May asking her for directions of what I should do. On the 10th I informed her that I was travelling to Artois.
Sender: Jacqueline Deveille
Recipient: Belle D'aquitaine
Subject: Plague
Sent on: 10 May, 2016 - 03:52

Holy Sister

I have contacted the plague and have been informed that you may be able to help me. Please tell me where you would like me to go. I'm at the moment travelling to Artois

Your Humble Servant
Baroness Deveille

I can not find the paperwork evidence of the message that I sent on 11th May. Maybe in my wweak state I only wrote the missive and did not send it.

I didnt want to travel to Brugge because I was trying to cut down the risk of spreading the plague. Unfortunately I'm still awaiting a reply from the holy sister of what she wants me to do and where she requires me to go.

Jacqueline Deveille

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
  • Honour: 1
« Reply #2 on: 12 May, 2016, 11:34:00 PM »
That early morning Giulia was heading Artois to monitor the wood supplies for the incoming church building site in Ostfriesland.
In fact, His Excellency Clemente De Ponte right confirmed her almost all was ready to start the hospital parrish there, according to a very old will of Lord Robrecht de Béthune, Duke of Ostfriesland.

In transit to Ieper she had noticed a foreign lady, visibly weak and ailing, so much to expect that she could be infected by the dark plague showing no signs of quitting to be rage from North to South, and from East to West.

Promptly she decided to get away  to avoid contagion, but not without giving instructions that a doctor was sent to check her status.

Later, once received the confirmation, she quickly wrote a few scrolls: to the jugde in Brugge, Sir Arnaut Borluut, to the foreign lady from Normandy and to His Majesty, King Roberto Alfaro, her old friend. No need to order either a restrain or an imprisonment of the lady at present moment.

In the afternoon, she got the answer from the Judge, all was ready for the trial. She shortly confirmed him she will act as prosecutor the next day in Brugge when asked to present to the Court the evidence  of Flemish laws violation.

Verba movent, exempla trahunt - εἶ, γνῶθι σεαυτόν, μηδὲν ἄγαν

Giulia Aldobrandeschi

• General group
  • Honour: 1
« Reply #3 on: 14 May, 2016, 10:49:49 AM »
The day after Giulia was visiting Ostfriesland where the new parrish building site was in progress, glad to see how the parrish-hospital was becoming reality so quickly.
Frantic moments with the dark plague spreading again and also the request to head to  Telemark for helping the Queen of Scotland to secure that region from natives.

Nevertheless, she didn't forget to send evidences to the Court in Brugge about the trial against Lady Jacqueline Deveille, via the fastest messenger available for that purpose in that Northen land of Flanders.

The content as follows

Your Lordship, Sir Borluut.
Lady Jacqueline Deveille from Normandy has been found sick by dark plague in Ieper on May, 12th, 1316 without having asked any permission  to Our person to cross the Flemish borders, as clearly requested by the law in force:

XXIX. Closed Borders to disease carriers - All foreigners infected with any plague or disease are forbidden to enter Flanders' lands unless permission has been given by the Sovereign.
All infected refusing to travel to the appointed quarantine region will entail immediate imprisonment for at least 48 hours to provide for the healing.
The suspicion of intentional act will be prosecuted as an "XXV. Attack on Kingdom Security and Prestige" offense.
[Classification C-Severe crime target: everyone infected, prison term: 0-2 days, fine: up to 400sc]

We do not interpret that as an act against the security of Our beloved Kingdom, but as irresponsible behavior of a private citizen. Nevertheless, such a behavior is threatening  the public health of Our people and in particular of those citizens who're living and used to work in Ieper.

On the behalf of the Flemish People we're asking you to make a proper use of that evidence.

During the same day she received a scroll by King Roberto Alfaro of Normandy, so having the occasion to clarify the situation each other, without giving rise to any misunderstanding, but still no message from the naive lady.
Instead, few other scrolls arrived later.
Giulia was warned the tower guadian of Brugge was reporting Lady Jacqueline Deveille was still in Ieper waiting for nobody knows what and the very same lady has been appointed as Judge in Avranches.
Giulia shock her head in reading all that and with irony murmured - Oh My, hope she will be at least able to read the laws of her own Kingdom and to understand them....

Verba movent, exempla trahunt - εἶ, γνῶθι σεαυτόν, μηδὲν ἄγαν

(RIP) Jacqueline Deveille

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #4 on: 14 May, 2016, 05:40:26 PM »
My Lords and Ladies

I am at an impasse until instructed by your goodselves of how to progress. As I crossed the border into Flanders there was no sign indicating that people in my situation should not pass. If this had been the case one would certainly would not have done so. One does not wish to be a burden on our esteem neighbours. I wrote to Sister D'Aqitaine informing her of my intentions and asking for instructions. I got no reply at the time and I still reamain in the dark and continue to get sicker. If I had been instructed to not cross into Flanders I would certainly not have done so. A simple message asking me to leave would have been suffice. One would like to return Normandyto take up my role of as judge. instead I find myself under arrest without instructions of what I should do. If it is requested that I remove my presence from Flanders I will do so upon receipt of instructions, I will even travel by a route dictated by the authorities.

Jacqueline Deveille

sunchaser_general

« Reply #5 on: 20 May, 2016, 01:55:28 PM »
Hello, this Trial is consider invalid for the following Reason:

The Judge did not follow the procedure described on the Wiki. He did not ask the Accused if she wanted to defend herself and he never posted after the answer of the Accused.[/i]

The question if the Accused wants to defend himself or use an Attorney should be done directly in the forum. Example:

"Jacqueline Daville, do you want to..."

So Administration can check easily if this step has been done.

From an internal inspection the Accused was never restrained or imprisoned, so no penalties will be applied.

-- ME Supreme Court
« Last Edit: 20 May, 2016, 05:00:29 PM by Guglielmo Di Valenza »