Author Topic: Byzantine rights on territory held by the Bulgars  (Read 1320 times)

Thekla Argyra

• General group
  • Honour: 2
  • Forum Tech Mod
Byzantine rights on territory held by the Bulgars
« on: 25 October, 2015, 10:34:58 AM »
To her majesty Daenerys, illoustrious Tsarina of the Bulgars.

Greetings from the imperial court in Constantinople sends Thekla Argyra, august Empress of the Roman Empire.

We wish to adress the Bulgars recent change in their diplomacy towards our people and the fact that no longer are our rights to obtain certain goods from the pig farms around Adrianople listed in your laws as they had been for some time now.

This arrangement had been agreed on by our people and your own the last time we made peace. If the Bulgarian Empire still speaks of peace, we believe, it should not trample on its basis. That is why we wish to learn her majesty's view on the matter and a confirmation of our rights.
Signed and sealed
« Last Edit: 25 October, 2015, 10:36:31 AM by Thekla Argyra »
Byzantium: glory, commitment, burden

"It was the eternal scene of mankind - the minions of violence, the victim and forever the third, the spectator, who does not raise his hands, does not defend the victim, does not try to free him, because he fears for his own savety and whose own savety is therefore threatened forever." Remarque

Daenerys Barbossa

• General group
  • Honour: 0
Re: Byzantine rights on territory held by the Bulgars
« Reply #1 on: 25 October, 2015, 04:31:29 PM »
Greetings Empress Tekla
You are the first Empress which speak about this agreement since it was concluded. Until now  none of the emperors have tried to rearrange it for longer periods.
I want to gather attention over some things.
First is that if I want war, I will not change to neutral, but to hostile, and I have said it couple times already in our communication.
Second, the agreement was allowing you to watch pigs in Adrianopolis, but it was not allowing you to gather permanently resources in our Mesebria forest or clay mine in Thrace. Couple of times our Chancellor - Vasko Dobrotitsa - wrote to you about that case, and we received no answer. Sо you must think about who is the real violator of this agreement. Of course, when a reaction from Byzantium side was missing, I reacted. I changed the diplomation to neutral to protect our resources from stealing.
Third thing is that until now since agreement is concluded none of your citizens have purchased pigs in Adrianopolis.
Forth, Bulgaria have diffrent plans for the future of Adrianopolis, which make us to make those changes.

Sincerely,
Daenerys I Barbossa, Tsarina of Bulgaria

Theodoros Tsiaousis

• General group
  • Honour: 0
« Reply #2 on: 27 October, 2015, 10:42:54 AM »
Sorry for the annoyance but as I know if someone is stealing goods from a state there is a court to judge him, you don't cancel a hole treaty because some (that we don't know if they are byzantines) are  stealing resources. From what I can understand that her majesty Daenerys write is  that the treaty after the great war does not exist anymore...

Thekla Argyra

• General group
  • Honour: 2
  • Forum Tech Mod
« Reply #3 on: 28 October, 2015, 12:27:16 AM »

To her majesty Daenerys Barbossa of the Bulgars,

We thank you for your swift answer and would like to discuss further on the matter.

In our eyes the custom of not making use of our right does not lessen our right itself. The fact that we have not been exploiting the farms should make this agreement even easier to uphold, since our people are very unlikely to compete with the Bulgars about the resources.
Concerning the exploitation of wood, for we are unaware of any illegal extraction of clay: The lord of Mesembria and ourselves exchanged some letters about the matter and we did respond in those ways that were available to us. Your chancelor was made aware of most steps we made to solve the issue and in the end we left to him the authority to solve the matter directly with the culprits to his own pleasing. We understood it a gracious act of mercy by your chancelor not to enforce your law on two of our citizens and not a fault of our own to not aprehend them.

The treaty we were referring to advices us how to react to such an infringement and we believe the proposed procedere to be sufficient for both our interests. The changes your majesty made instead affect all our people, an unearned punishment, for we have done nothing either disrespectful or harmful or in conflict with the treaty. And though by itself not an act of hostility, yours is a harsher solution than what could have been done and what was agreed on.

This treaty also speaks not of any termination of our shared use of the resources, so we would argue that no emperor had to negotiate a prolongation. Instead you are the first Bulgarian ruler to disband the agreement between our peoples, thus being reäsponsible for our intervention.

Lady Thekla Argyra, Empress of the Romans
« Last Edit: 28 October, 2015, 12:34:01 AM by Thekla Argyra »
Byzantium: glory, commitment, burden

"It was the eternal scene of mankind - the minions of violence, the victim and forever the third, the spectator, who does not raise his hands, does not defend the victim, does not try to free him, because he fears for his own savety and whose own savety is therefore threatened forever." Remarque