Author Topic: Red Red Rachel/The First City;  (Read 1348 times)

(RIP) Raidhal Inderdóttir

• General group
  • Baby Member
  • Honour: 0
Red Red Rachel/The First City;
« on: 24 June, 2015, 11:08:53 AM »
This, beloved, is the story of city Bergen, the birth of Hordeland, Suderland, and much more;
It is fiction.  Not at all historically accurate.  But, in story (role-play), it began to unfold long before you were baern into this world.  And will persist long after.

This is written by Bruce Enderson, first of the Anderson name, oft proclaimed Father/Builder of Scotia, son of Duff, known to be generous and wise, and deceased now (last seen directing Scottish troops aboard a vessel upriver in Ukraine so to assault the Kiev Rus circa 1314 before the Russian spring) ... but reborn into this wyrld Rachel, of whom Bruce often wrote in laef.  And always spaek of fondly.  These are their wairds;
At 50 kilograms and 164 centimeters Rachel is just 15 years in the world with milky white and youthful skin.  Her eyes are a very dark shade of blue the color of the North Sea during a fierce storm.  She keeps her brown (nearly black) hairs above the neck in little bundles or loose knots. The wind is often in it nonetheless.

She is encountered frequently at sea or far up river aboard her knarr vessel.  She is a young and inexperienced commander but her force of character and power of persuasion is nothing to balk at.

She was marked at a young age with two symbols.  The first is Neja's Cup on the back of her neck.  It is a dark blue stain made from wood ash beneath the skin.  Cold vapors overflow from a chalice and span the length of her right nape and shoulder.  There is not a line drawn on her, however, they are formed of tiny concentric circles and banded runes.

The second is Umao's Fist.  It is located high up on her left buttock and can sometimes be partially seen depending on her attire.  No person has ever seen it in its entirety except the artist and her self. The closed fist and its fiery tendrils span her hip and the length of her leg.  They can be sometimes observed on the ankle where they terminate.  These too are formed of tiny geometric symbols and banded runes.

Because of her mannerisms like speech and behavior, because of her unimpressive bust, because of her large feet which are most of the time muddy and bare, and because of the way she keeps her hairs from off her neck she is often mistaken for a boy.  She spits and curses, too, which does not help to dispel the notion.  Just one time a man had the audacity to suggest she was shall we say alternative?  She caved in the side of his skull using a nearby hammer but he lived.  Only just, though.

Rachel owns an impressive collection of silk dresses and many jewels.  She keeps these in trunks buried and scattered throughout Scandinavia.  Will the Anderson name die with her, or will they one day number in the stars?

1299; Duff Enderson, chiefmost among his tribe in Scotland, dies of natural causes and is put out to sea according to tradition. His first and favorite wife, Princess Silla, or Shelly as she was fondly known is heavy with child.  She prepares to make a crossing of the North Sea and return to her native home in city Bergen.

Rachel is born aboard the knarr vessel without difficulty. She is the 21st child having 18 brothers and 2 sisters. And she is so very small but for her big round feet.

1300; Rachel is raised up in the palace at Holmen which has since been destroyed.  She is doted upon. Her brothers take especial care for her. She never cries, is easily amused, and smiles often. She is called Fippa by those familiar with her because it is her first utterance. They discover that Rachel is deaf in one ear - the left.

1305; She has learned to wrestle and to ride a small pony. Her favorite toy is a shield which she sleeps with. Rachel is active, energetic, and socially normal.  At the age of six she resolves to conquer one of the nearby mountains everyday.  You can see a few of them here but a city has grown up in the valley now.  She is of course accompanied by one of her brothers or another minder.  But her unfortunate pony is up to the task!  And soon she graduates to the larger adventures which her sibling undertake.

She speaks Norge, primarily the oldest variety, and Swedish, Danish, and English but not as well.  Oddly enough, she also uses Scots-Gaelic in her speech, probably because of her patrional heritage and its frequent usage in the household.

1306; Rachel has reached an awkward age and yearns to join with the boys when they all go rowing out to sea.  She kisses a playmate one day which is female and her minder tattles.  She is severely chastised with a reed because of it but she does not reveal the names of the female servants she first witnessed doing it.  Instead, the elders suspect she may harbor gender-identity issues and blame her many brothers (which think is just hilarious).  They make it a strict rule that Rachel must always be in the company of a woman who may be an example to her.  She never kisses a female again - not even her mather or (much later) her dottirs.  It was all blown out of proportion, extremely embarrassing, and rather traumatic for Rachel.  She does not like to talk about the incident.

Her lame uncle Ragna, in the twilight of his years, teaches her and her sisters to guide a small watercraft and to navigate at night by starlight mostly so that they could scoot around the islands and fish for eel with their hands yet be forced to stay close to shore.

1308; Rachel has learned to write a little for her mather who suffers from arthritis.  She is the only one among her siblings still at heim.  Her eldest brother Bruce visits more than occasionally.  He is becoming a prominent leader for the Confederate party.

She and her mather migrate with other members of the tribe (and faith) to city Tromso and live with the Sami to teach the savages a sort of agriculture and instill in them an appreciation for the Gods.  After dwelling there for 8 months, however, the earth moves suddenly.  Tromso falls off the edge of it, and Rachel as well as her tribe is nearly swallowed up but they manage to barely escape the disaster and return to city Bergen.

1310; The palace is now laid low by the Gods and ruined.  Shelly is forced to dismiss the household staff and has become stiff so that she must be halped about. Rachel's only joy is when her brother arrives from the sea. He tells grand stories about the world, brings beer and whisky for them to drink, and has recently been crowned King in a fantastic far-away land called Edinburgh.  They visit their kine there often.  But yearn for heim when they are gone from it for any length of time.

1312-1313; The ground shakes again, the world is divided up into regions,  and uncivilized hostiles having no kingdom for themselves invade the land. A series of battles occur in Scandinavia.  While her brother and his Scots halp the royalist Dani reconquer the world an opposing alliance, the confederated Italics, swoop in.  City Bergen and its surrounding areas are for a brief time occupied by Genoese.  It becomes unlawful for Nords to live, work, or otherwise exist there.  Rachel's mather commands her to write to her brother for aid and she does.

Her brother arrives with a fleet of Danes, English, Scots, Saxons, Teutons, and Lithuanians with food and other necessities.  They repair the harbor in Agder, take to shore, and engage the Italians.  They lose a battle but are ultimately victorious in liberating cities Bergen, Stavanger, and Skien.

Rachel develops a crush on a warrior she encounters from a region she can barely pronounce named Sorry.  His name is Hamilton.  He is blonde, strong, and intelligent.  He appears to be a God in her eyes.

Bergen is repaired and joined to the Scots Confederacy along with Stavanger and Skien (later Agder too).  Projects are launched.  For a time Rachel halps with these improvements by translating instructions and overseeing the movement of raw materials.  She enjoys the year-long burst of reclamation and activity.  She learns much about the organization of labor and careful planning of projects.  When the work is finished, though, almost all of the workers move on to work in other parts unknown to her and Rachel is left to tend her mather again.

1314; Shelly contracts a bad cough and gives up the spirit on New Years Day. Nobody attends the ceremony except a few fishermen and quarry workers who would make a young wife of Rachel. Detecting the latitude and opportunity in the world she opts to row for nearby Copenhagen instead and earn an investment in the markets.

Rachel refurbishes her eldest brother's first ship; a long ship after the knarr named "Reacher". It is girded by the bones of an ancient narwhal.  It is creaky but seaworthy.  She hires a crew of three sketchy Swedes and sets sail.  But five days into the voyage they become insubordinate and attempt to take advantage of her.  She slays them with the broken jawbone of a lamb and is pinned beneath the last for three days as she lists out at sea.  Finally the keel finds purchase on the shore and the bodies are jarred just insomuch as she can free her little body.

According to the law she stops at the third house she encounters (county Telemark) and declares the murders.  Still caked in dried blood from head to toe (this may be where she earned the handle Red Red Rachel) she explains the situation to a court of her peers and they unanimously concur that she should be absolved of the deed.  They also remark that it is no small miracle she survived at all and commend her competency but urge her not to undertake such daring enterprise in the future.  Nobody ever mutinied again aboard one of her ships upon hearing this tale because there was only one consequence.  Swift dispatch.

In February she arrives at Copenhagen. The harbor is very good and she dwells at the tavern for a spell. She goes out to the bugt every morning before the sun is up and earns a little money fishing. She becomes aware of the world and herself as a young woman.  She learns to command men and lead them despite her small frame.

Rachel befriends others like her of the same persuasion. And they go rowing often. She rapidly learns to like this. Very much. A sense of danger enlivens her and exercises her wit.  She puts together a crew.  They respect her.  She does not bat an eye when they tease her because she knows they will fight aside and for her to the death.

When her friend in city Oslo contract hers to acquire salt for their community Rachel plots a course for Scotland to know if a last remaining brother is still alive and to expand her operation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~About Rachel's Reputation and Her Tattoos~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[rule]

She earns a reputation among her peers for her tendency to never wear shoes - she is at sea all the time why does she need them?  At first some of the males are thrilled that she removes her shirt like they do.  They come to terms with this for a couple of reasons, though.  Firstly, she is not noticeably endowed at all and there is nothing to look at, not even the shape of something.  There is a magically bound cloth over what little there is and that never comes off (except maybe to bathe thoroughly).  Besides, she belongs to the Itty Bitty Committee and some of the men are more endowed than she!

Secondly, when her shirt comes off people of both genders gravitate to Rachel.  She is a token among them.  Her mather, Shelly, experienced a resurgence of her faith in 1307 (hence why they went to Tromso the next year to perform missionary works among the savages).  The priests appreciated this and gained her permission to record their especial knowledge and lore upon the body of Rachel and make her a token among the tribe.  Since Rachel was the bebe in the family this thrilled Shelly.

So.  Between the ages of 7 and 13 Rachel would be dosed with hallucinogens.  She would be undressed (mostly), made prostrate but comfortable, and then "inked" while she babbled.  It is important to note that the nonsensical things she would say during these episodes were not recorded upon her skin.  And that she was never violated in a carnal way.  She was regarded as too sacred, and when she reached the age where the body began to change into that of a young woman the work was rapidly concluded and she did not undergo a session afterward.

Thus, people enjoy crowding about her and looking at Neja's Cup if she lets them.  But they must look closely because the glyphs are very small.  The Cup itself spans the back of her neck, and the vapors, shards, and flakes which spill out from it blow over her right shoulder, and her sleeve, down her spine, and flow across most of her upper torso (the front), and even some of her belly.  They terminate at the navel.  There is an immense store of knowledge and lore woven therein which all but a very few have forgotten and fewer still would know had the priest in Bergen not taken many years to mark Rachel with it.  All-in-all she is a uniquely painted individual.  Sometimes they can even succeed in persuading her to untie her trousers and wear them low around her hips so that Umao's Fist is exposed.  It is located on her left flank, meanders to the front of her, divides the length of her leg inside and out, and reaches the joint of her foot.  It contains tales which do not occur in human history.  She does this reluctantly, however, thanking her kine whenever she does that she sports only the smallest swath of bodily hair.

But men too often get overly curious and want to read more which is obscured and that is her secret place which she keeps well.  When they get too engaged, too quiet among themselves, and begin putting their fingers in her trousers to have a better look she yanks the trousers up by their strings and gets red in the face with fury and embarrassment.  She does possess a modicum of modesty and dignity, you know.  She will not reveal her calves or her thighs.  She will not let you look down the front of her pants.  She will not bend over to show more cheek.  She will not twist her body, left her arm up, or otherwise stretch her skin (unless she's taking a look herself).  She will not put down her nets and be still.  So just do not you ask, ok?  But if you would like to expand your knowledge of the Pagan faith or be inspired by the Gods she is willing to share.  So long as it is not too uncomfortable for her and that is saying a lot.

When she detects an individual undressing her with their eyes she will often abstain from the hauling in of fishes and baiting of hooks for a few days.  She will ride aft and shout every instruction so to assert her authority.

Red Red Rachel

(RIP) Raidhal Inderdóttir

• General group
  • Baby Member
  • Honour: 0
Re: Red Red Rachel/The First City;
« Reply #1 on: 13 July, 2015, 10:30:34 AM »
Quote from:
I've come home for a minute.  I have been away sud and fishing a lot.  Nothing has changed here.  But that's unfair.  I can see there is some small change in the atmosphere.  There are a few new taverns, a new castle upon the hill, which, well, they welcome me into and allow me entrance even unto the treasure but.  Not sure why.

I'm respected.  Every body knows my name.  I know every name, even.  I grew old with them and they grew, also.  I met a girl friend who used to tease me when I was little.  I met her on the road.  And I punched her.  When she lay in the mud, that was Okay.  I walked on.  I am becoming very exhausted by them who think they are better than me.

My haem is only a little wooden hut now.  If I think about it a lot, I get upset, because when my parents were alive, when my brathers still roamed the earth, we had every thing and more.  There was no hunger.  No wealth, every person was a king or queen at their own hearth.  The Gods are not kind because they destroyed EVERYTHING hence.  I mean, we even had to build the harbor again.  If I am very quiet I can still hear me mather's voice there, at the fire.  God rest her soul.

I've been to Copenhagen, now, and the Stock a few times.  There is a LOT of change in the world.  But not here.  I have earned some money catching fish, and... yes, raiding a little.  I meet a few nice boys beyond but nobody stays a long time.  I'm still trying to put together and construct a nice crew.

Will sail west for the first time, now.  No Swedes, here, this time there were a few men at haem who were not Swedes could able-y row and I'm glad for it (after the last experience rowing with dem I really dislike that bunch).  I'm going to row for Scotland and sound out or ken if there is any need.  I suspect they may like fresh fish.  I will take a few hundred iron, wood, and stone I stole from ... well.  Others.  Who are not at all friendly.

And I will look forward to seeing my brather Bruce.  It has been a long time since I saw him with my eyes, and I think probably he tried to visit during the first snows as he usually does but I was not there, and our mather is in the ground.  I might need to finally get on over there and ... inform him morma's dead.  So.  There I go.  And only because it appears everything is fine in Bergen.

Gods bless.
Red Red Rachel