Author Topic: Case A019: State against Geoffrey Baskerville  (Read 3229 times)

Valkon Gorthauer

• General group
  • Honour: 3
  • Ataman of the Cossacks, King of Hungary
Case A019: State against Geoffrey Baskerville
« on: 24 November, 2014, 10:34:34 PM »
By the power of Law given to Kievans by our Grand Prince of Kiev Mao Chao and the power of Order blessed of Our Lord, Deus Triune, High Court of Kiev start this prosecution against crimes committed by Geoffrey Baskerville.

Geoffrey Baskerville is accused of violating the laws of The Grand Principality of Kiev.

Prosecution will be represented by Fyodor Romodanovsky, who have permission to present the accusations and collected evidences.

According procedure I must ask Geoffrey Baskerville if he want to appoint an Attorney or prefer defend by himself.
« Last Edit: 29 November, 2014, 11:34:29 AM by Valkon Gorthauer »
Forgive my translator from English, Sir Google: it is bad, but to me there is no one to replace him

Ingame profile

(RIP) Fyodor Romodanovsky

• General group
  • Honour: 0
Re: Case A019: State against Geoffrey Baskerville
« Reply #1 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:11:10 AM »
Your Honor,

I am standing here today with intention to accuse Geoffrey Baskerville, citizen of England, in violation of the laws of Grand Principality of Kiev and to prove this accusation indisputably with evidences.

I present to the court the evidence of violation of article 3 of The second book "Martial Law":

The second book.

Martial Law in the Principality of Kiev is declared by this document.

No foreign resident (except allied kingdoms) has the right to enter Principality of Kiev while Martial Law is active.
Violating this article is reviewed in the court as a Capital Offence.

As citizen of Kingdom of England Defendant is not the citizen of allied country and by crossing the border he violate quoted law.

But as I know Defendant have not been seen in any battles against Kiev and state with letter to Grand Prince that his visit have trade purpose. As we can consider such action as sign of good will Prosecution plead for commutation of sentence to category Severe Crime.

Prosecution plead: Defendant to be found guilty with sentence of 400 sp fee and 2 days in jail with opportunity Defendant to pay himself off from jail.

Valkon Gorthauer

• General group
« Reply #2 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:40:18 AM »
Thank You, Master Prosecutor. Your position is clear. Defendant now have 12 hour to prepair and present his defence personaly or by selected lawayer.
Forgive my translator from English, Sir Google: it is bad, but to me there is no one to replace him

Ingame profile

(RIP) Geoffrey Baskerville

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #3 on: 25 November, 2014, 08:41:07 PM »
As the accused in this case, I request a lawyer.

Valkon Gorthauer

• General group
« Reply #4 on: 25 November, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
Yes, of course. As I said, you can choose a Attorney.  But if you want that kind of lawyer, the court does not mind. Name it.
Since you are an Englishman, I, in all sincerity, I do not advise you to contact the office Law Firm of Balliot, Balliot, Degarda, Soldano, Killian, Balliot, and Associates. Their representative recently failed all the cases considered by the court.

Ingame profile

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #5 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »
At the outset of the proceedings His Honor said:

"According procedure I must ask Geoffrey Baskerville if he want to appoint an Attorney or prefer defend by himself."

[emphasis added]

The operative word used by His Honor is "appoint," which is something only courts can do. Therefore, I am working under the assumption that the court will assign me an attorney to defend my case.

Valkon Gorthauer

• General group
« Reply #6 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:12:10 PM »
The judge laughs

I like you, the accused.
Mr. Baskerville, I ask you to excuse me for my poor english, which lead to this misunderstanding. I mean that you can chose to defend yourself or to name other person who will represent you in this court as your lawyer.

Ingame profile

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #7 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:17:34 PM »
The Accused thanks His Honor for the clarification.

I will defend myself in the matter and begin by asking if the prosecution has concluded presenting its case to The Court?

• General group
« Reply #8 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:22:46 PM »
Mr. Baskerville, Prosecution already present accusations above. You are accused in violation of Martial Law ("Second book").

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #9 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:25:30 PM »
The Accused understands the accusations, but would like to know if the prosecution plans on introducing any further evidence to The Court.

Valkon Gorthauer

• General group
« Reply #10 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:33:19 PM »
Mr. Baskerville, you are in court, not in the London club or at social events. Court no matter what you want to know.
If the court decides that the prosecutor has provided insufficient evidence, the court will order the prosecutor to provide them.
The accused, you have something to say about the the charges that the prosecutor has stated?

Ingame profile

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #11 on: 25 November, 2014, 09:44:17 PM »
The Accused has several possible arguments to present The Court and the first depends on whether or not the Prosecution has submitted its entire case against me. Therefore, I ask the prosecution once more if it plans on offering The Court any further evidence?

Valkon Gorthauer

• General group
« Reply #12 on: 25 November, 2014, 10:02:24 PM »
The judge laughs again.

I like you more and more, Mr. Baskerville.
However, this time I will tell you that you're not in the market. If you have multiple arguments, you can provide them all.
After this, the prosecutor, if necessary, provide additional evidence, and you'll be able to provide new arguments.

I note that you are in Kiev court, the most humane court in the world. Unlike many other courts, the aim of the Kiev court is not to condemn the defendant at any cost. Our goal - to establish the truth.
So I can assure you that I will give you an opportunity to respond to any additional charges and provide arguments for any additional evidence.

Ingame profile

• General group
« Reply #13 on: 25 November, 2014, 10:07:53 PM »
Prosecution have no other evidences. But I will make use from kindness on Defendant and will present fresher evidence.

Also I would like to add that is Defendant try to build his defense on missing evidence about his CROSSING the border, I must note that this will mean that he do not complete requirements of the Martial law:
"2. All foreign residents (except allied kingdoms) must leave the territory of the Principality of Kiev within 72 hours.
Violating this article is reviewed in the court as a Severe Crime."

Prosecution foreseen this possibility but prefer not to complicate this case as we already plead for commutation of sentence.
« Last Edit: 25 November, 2014, 10:22:02 PM by Fyodor Romodanovsky »

• General group
  • Baby Member
« Reply #14 on: 25 November, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »
The Accused thanks the Prosecution.

Your honor, I would ask for a continuation of several hours in order to assemble a defense in light of the evidence that the Prosecution has just presented.

[ORP: and to take care of a few things IRL].