Author Topic: A message posted from the new King of England  (Read 8370 times)

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
  • Honour: 0
A message posted from the new King of England
« on: 01 July, 2013, 01:04:21 AM »
A man in military garb rode up to the town square covered in dust. He dismounted and quickly ran up to the town posting board. He took a scroll out of his bag slung over his shoulder, the bag had many such scrolls inside, and then quickly nailed the scroll to the post front and center for all to see. He stepped back to check to see if it was centered, clearly the man was a perfectionist, then jumped back atop his horse and galloped off in the direction of the next town. The crowd that had gathered at the commotion closed in around the posted scroll and one man who was well educated was prompted to read it aloud...

Greetings great and noble people of England,

At last the conflict that has held the nation in suspense has concluded. Albion's brightest days are now ahead of her. Let us all work together to fulfill England’s destiny as the greatest kingdom on Earth.

We harbor no ill will after the spirited defense of England, in fact we applaud the valiant effort. We grant full amnesty to all English who fought against us, spoke against us, or otherwise opposed us or this war. Full amnesty includes the former Queen. Elizabeth Plantagenet is free and welcome to stay in England if she wishes, as are any of her close supporters: all citizens will be free from any retribution for past deeds.

Over the next few weeks we will introduce projects to increase the productivity of England and all of its citizens. We will invest in England, and that means investing in the English people. For it is the English people who will make this nation great.

Finally I will speak a moment about my heritage. I was born in Normandy long ago, descended from a branch of the Balliol family that sailed north with Duke William in 1066. Later with the help of my friends we transformed Savoy from a plague-ridden and destitute nation into one of the strongest and most abundant countries in Europe. We return to the area of my ancestors with a mission to rebuild England into the greatest nation in Europe. It will be an exciting journey, and we invite you to embark upon it with us.

I will be writing to you frequently over the next few days, giving more information about our plans. But for now I must attend to some vital duties, there is much to do.

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy
Military Commander of the Federation of United Kingdoms
« Last Edit: 01 July, 2013, 07:12:35 PM by James Balliot »

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
Re: A message posted from the new King of England
« Reply #1 on: 01 July, 2013, 07:11:47 PM »
The next day the man arrives again and repeats the same procedure...

Greetings people of England,

Today and most days I will try to update you with what is happening around the country and around the Tower of London within the government. I will attempt to keep these updates short in the interest of my own time but also so as to not needlessly bore you all with details which you may not really care about.:)

This week we will be focused on rebuilding the markets in York and London and stocking them with affordable food and materials for local tradesmen and farmers. The dangerous seed shortage in London has already been remedied for now with my own small stock, and more is being shipped in via cart as we speak and should be straightened out by nightfall. I am inviting tradesmen from Scotland, Ireland, and Wales to sell their goods in English markets to help us get back on our feet as well. I expect our markets to be fully stocked again and operating at full capacity by mid-week.

Additionally we have opened two new civic projects, the first of which is the harbor project in Essex. Essex will be the cornerstone of England's food production moving forward. It is blessed with Pig breeding for meat, the proper climate for maximum wheat yield, and with a port will also be the closest fishing region to London. Therefore a port in Essex has priority on our building schedule. A market and further development will follow later. Once the harbor has been prepped and is ready to be built I will announce the opening of construction, how to receive hammers, and at what the hourly wage will be set.

I will have more to tell you tomorrow.

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #2 on: 03 July, 2013, 12:40:51 AM »

Greetings my friends,

I will admit I was hoping to have more to tell you today. I am currently in talks with the governments of Scotland, Wales, and Ireland and we are very close in coming to an accord in at least the preliminary aspects of a treaty between our four nations. The initial provision of that treaty would make life considerably easier for all of us right away in fact and would be ground breaking news. Alas there are still a few minor details to hammer out, but with any luck I will have real news to share with you in the near future on that front.

Domestically work continues in resupplying the London and York markets. London I know is in pretty good shape for most goods, I have not traveled north to York just yet, but I know of some goods being distributed there. If anyone local has a need of anything be sure to contact the Vassal of York Lord Carpegna and he can help you out. He is an apt administrator and well traveled, having in the past been Regent in Valencia and Lithuania as well as holding lesser titles in Savoy, Florence, Rome and elsewhere.

Also the Harbor project in Essex has been supplied with wood and stone and is ready for construction. Lord Hamilton will be setting the wage at 4 silver per hour in the morning so work can begin then. It requires just 200 hours to complete so that wage will not last long. You'll want to get there this week to get your work in if you want to get that wage. Thanks.

Finally I mention one final topic of interest. I have placed a number of scrolls on the market in London. They are priced extremely high (1k silver each) because they are not actually for sale, rather they are for all to read. Simply click the scroll and you should be able to read it in it's entirety. These Scrolls are my crude attempts to begin to chronicle the history of the Balliot clan through our beginnings in Normandy then Savoy, and the beginning of the Papist War. It is an incredibly long story and these volumes are just the first few of many. I hope to some day find the time to complete these stories and even if time allows bring them up to date all the way through to the present day. Perhaps that is wishful thinking I know, as a King I may never find that time but it sure would be fun. In the mean time I hope these such volumes that I do have completed can give you a little enjoyment in your spare time. Yes they are a little blow-hardy and badly written in many spots, but they are also fun and offer some insight into our clan's history, whether good or bad, as I do not attempt to pull any punches or hide any facts (well not too many hah).

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #3 on: 03 July, 2013, 09:27:24 PM »

Hello again,

Today I will be attempt to be brief as there is not much to tell you and my time is short!

The native regions of Liecester and Lincoln fell to our army late yesterday afternoon and evening which means that the wood shortage in the York area should be solved for the time being. England is blessed with an abundance of wooded areas and should be taking advantage of that natural resource for both domestic use and more importantly for international export. This is the beginning of that endeavor, and in due time I expect England to be Europe's #1 exporter of wood. But for now feel free to chop to your heart's desire in the York/Liecester/Lincoln area which will now be known as the Wooden Triangle.:)

As I mentioned yesterday the Harbor project in Essex is prepped and already started at 4 silver per hour. Get working while it lasts.:)

I would like to address our friends in self-imposed exile down in Aquitaine for a moment if that is ok. I have received a few messages from some of you recently demanding I refrain from sending you my daily updates. As King of England it is my right to mail my people if I wish (and I do wish it), I feel it is important to keep everyone in the loop with the goings on in the country and how things are shaping up. Transparency is the order of the day now, therefore even those who choose to align themselves against us are kept informed. So you must receive these messages everyday and unfortunately I can not remove you from the list of my citizens that I mail to, only you can do that.

Finally, the government will likely slow down some in the coming few days to celebrate. There is a victory celebration planned in Wales which many of us will be attending so messages and diplomatic responses will likely be delayed for some time. (OK, I really mean it's the 4th of July weekend in real life so we're all taking it easy. Everyone please be safe and take it easy on the fireworks!). My daily dispatches likely will not come daily, or possibly at all, depends on how hung-over I am each morning. I hear King Bruce of Scotland is bringing a cart of Scotch down from the Highlands with him so I expect to be a bit foggy...:)

Have a great weekend everyone!

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #4 on: 04 July, 2013, 02:02:28 PM »

Good Morning!

It is with pleasure that I am able to announce that the Regents of Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and I have put the finishing touches on an agreement between our nations. This is just the initial phase of a much larger initiative for full economic, civic, and military alliance between the four nations of the British Isles.

This first phase states:

A. Travel between our countries is free and open to all citizens of the British Isles.

B. All countries of the British Isles will respond defensively to any attack upon any other British Isles nation.

C. All regions of the British Isles will be open for resource gathering to any resident of any British Isle nation.

D. A large feast of victory hosted by King Andrew and King James will be held at Harlech Castle in Wales. All nobles, Lords, and otherwise from the British Isles will be welcome to attend.

While this treaty is of course modest in it's achievement it is also monumental in it's symbolic meaning as it's probably the first time that the four countries in the Isles have ever agreed upon just about anything.:)

As for domestic matters, work upon the Essex Harbor continues. King Andrew has delivered a load of tools into London for our use including a shipment of hammers for construction at a good price. There will be many building projects coming so if you do not have a hammer you will need one. If you do not have money to purchase a hammer, then let me know and I will send you the money you need to get one.

Finally one last civic note. The Academy of London and the Training Grounds of York have officially lowered their prices to 1 silver for Englishmen and 2 silver for foreigner students. Those prices are more than enough to cover the costs of paper and training dummies. We will have more news to follow in regards to the Training Grounds next week.

That is all for today. (Happy 4th today, be safe with those fireworks everybody!)

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #5 on: 09 July, 2013, 01:59:50 PM »
Message sent 7-7-1313...

Hello everyone,

Well it's been a couple of days, I have been spending so much time with the Queen and the young little Prince that I haven't had time to write up a proper update. There really hasn't been much to update anyway. But today we do have a few small items of interest.

I can happily announce that the Essex Harbor project has been completed. This means that travel into and out of London is made considerably easier, and it also means that fishing is available from a region much closer to London. This should make soup production much easier in the capital as fish and now meat should be more plentiful.

Late this evening we will be returning Salisbury back to our own control with a short battle. We don't expect any resistance on the field of course but we roll out the army to for maneuvers anyway as a training and discipline tool. This will return London it's local woodlands and reconnect all English lands once again.

Once that battle concludes, the Hampshire harbor project will be fully funded and ready to be built at 4 silver per hour as well. That will open a trading lane into Normandy for traders to easily move into that area to and fro. We do not need to be concerned too much of the Normans poaching our salt as Avranches already has salt in their capital, so the the good outweighs the bad we think.

That is all for today, next week should be an exciting one.

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #6 on: 09 July, 2013, 02:00:20 PM »

Hello my friends,

Well it's been a couple of days since I've written. I had a nice relaxing weekend, well somewhat relaxing, most of it was spent running around with the Queen and little Prince (he is 4). Fortunately there was nothing incredibly important to report, but that is not the case today.

If you have checked the  Town Crier today then you have seen that England has a new set of Laws. The laws of the past regime have been abolished and replaced by these. So there are no more market limits on pricing, we've never believed in those types of laws but have preferred to let the supply and demand dictate prices. Though I will warn newer merchants that pricing high will usually just mean that your goods will just sit on the market for months on end. Pricing your goods low will help them fly off the shelves and put money in your pocket and keep the machine of industry rolling.

Anyway, I would like to quickly explain these new laws in a few words so you don't feel the need to sit down for 20 minutes to decipher the legalese which unfortunately is a requirement when writing such things if you want to avoid loopholes and such later on.

Of course you can also view the full Laws of England here.

Statute 1 - Acts of Treason
Basically this law makes it a crime to try to revolt or bring down the government. Pretty basic. Section 1 then says that anyone found guilty then has a further hearing to see if they are to be banished from the realm. Article 2 states that Elizabeth Plantagenet and all her people are officially granted amnesty up to before we took over the Palace, I wanted to put that in writing.

Statute 2: Forestalling Market Goods
This law just says that you can't buy something in one market in England at one price and sell it in another market in England at a higher price for 7 days. Kind of a cheap way to make money off your own countrymen. Sell it overseas if you want at a higher price, that's fine, but don't sell it here. Again a pretty standard law you'll see elsewhere.

Statute 3: Border Control Polices of England
These are the laws we keep on the books to try to keep folks out of England at any given time who we may not want here. There are three sections.

Article I – Closed Borders to Foreign Hostile States
If we're ever at war with anyone this is the section we use...we're kind of at war with Aquitane, well not really, we have nothing against them but they are very hostile to us at the moment so we are just being safe. Hopefully we can remove that soon.

Article II – Closed Borders to Foreign Hostile Individuals
This is for folks who as individuals we don't want in our country. These three particular guys are troublemakers and mercenaries who have been causing trouble all over Europe damaging buildings and such. They were wanted for crimes in Italy and South Eastern Europe and were arrested recently for them. Better to keep them out at this point.

Article III – Closed Borders to Enemy Combatants
This is just a catch all provision for if we are attacked and someone crosses into our country with hostile intent bearing arms against us.

Statute 4: Extradition Laws of England
This law simply states that if you want to arrest someone on our lands you must ask us first.

So that is the book of the new laws, again nothing earth shattering, just some basic protections for the country on our borders, on our markets, and our people. New situations will come up certainly and new laws will need to be written and I will point them out to you in a similar manner. If anyone has any questions at all about any of these laws don't hesitate to ask.

In other news the Hampshire Harbor project is about half way complete, figure one or 2 more days for that. Salisbury was secured on Sunday and Exeter will be in our hands by Thursday, so the expansion is progressing quite nicely.

I'm hoping to have some big news coming later this week as well.:)

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #7 on: 10 July, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »

Hello everyone,

So much happened yesterday that I actually don't have time to go over everything today! I will have limited time over the next few days to speak to you due to the activity around the Palace (meaning I'm super busy at work this week), so I will just have to choose one topic per day to announce and hope that the news of the week doesn't get ahead of me. I will start with the most important news.

This of you who check the Town Crier often likely saw this little item pass through yesterday.

09-Jul-1313, 15:59:02    Andrastos Emilian II has given the go-ahead for the project: Major Temple in: LONDON.

I will be brutally honest and say that the timing of this surprised me a little as well. I knew it was coming of course, just not so soon. We had been in talks with the Regents of the British Isles about bringing Paganism to the Isles this past week. You see most of my men had been baptized into Paganism some time ago and our last country had a system of churches built within. We wanted to open Pagan churches here too so we asked our new neighbors. The Scots had been wanting a Pagan Church for some time, the Welsh were ready too and the Irish were disillusioned with the Paris Church which couldn't even keep a Pope alive for more than a few months. We all were in agreement.

You see the Pagan Church of Europe allows each of it's branches to run independently of each other. To form something of it's own identity. This was perfect for us as we had a plan.

It was decided that we would revive the ancient Pagan religion of the Druids which lived on the islands 1,000+ years before. Those cruel Romans of that age brutally stomped the Druid religion out existence, but we would revive it. We would bring back those cool robes, being one with nature, the big stone circles...ok maybe we'd leave out the human sacrifice, the Romans may have been on to something there, but the rest of it was a-ok. Lets face it, everyone loves Druids! :)

So the plan was that we would open the construction of two High Druid Temples, one in London and one in Lothian. With these two High Temples (HT) would be able to service and reach every corner of the British Islands with Temples and then Holy Shrines. However, our Primicerius jumped the crossbow a touch and placed the London High Temple construction site before he had enough Faith Points to place the Lothian High Temple construction site. While this is a bit unfortunate for our planning it is ok as it will still take us time to gather and build so hopefully we will not be too far behind in building the Scots their building and we will pledge to help their construction project as well as our own.

One last thing. Some of you may be thinking, "Screw this, I don't want to be a stinking Druid". Well that's completely fine, no one will be forced to be anything, this is all voluntary. And in fact most people won't convert or even care. There are actually very few advantages to being religious in this world. The main advantage is you get a 33% modifier to your tasks, but to get that modifier you need to pray every once in a while. I will explain in more detail later.

I will leave you today with an Artist's Rendition of the London High Temple of Druidism (likely needs a cooler name, we will have a contest):

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

EDIT:
Hey folks,

I think I may have misspoke about that 33% task time bonus. I was looking back through my notes when I wrote that, but I was just now looking through the the Religion release notes and can't find that section. I'll give an update asap with a full detailed report on what the Pros and Cons are of being a Druid so you can make your own educated decision.

Thanks,
James
« Last Edit: 10 July, 2013, 04:48:50 PM by James Balliot »

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #8 on: 12 July, 2013, 02:19:09 PM »

Hello everyone,

Today I'd like to address the other item of news which I had meant to announce the other day.

09-Jul-1313, 13:02:03    James Balliot has given the go-ahead for the project: Castle in: HAMPSHIRE.

Hampshire will be one of our main Ports of entry to the Island and the gateway to the Continent and points south through the Norman port of Avranches. As such we will eventually build a full city there similar in scale to York. The Castle is the largest of the structures to be built so we are collecting the materials for that now. We have placed the newly arrived Lord Charles Wills in charge of the settlement and construction of the region. Lord Wills has a devoted group of men under his charge and working together they will be erecting this mammoth symbol of strength in England's name. This will be the first ever of England's self constructed Castle structures so we should all be proud of it. In time a Barracks, and a Courthouse will follow. If any of you wish to join Lord Wills in this great adventure in Hampshire then you may contact me or you may contact Lord Wills directly.

Additionally we have launched a number of other projects in the last day. A market has gone up in Essex and Hampshire as well. Hampshire of course needs a market as it will be come a full city but until that time it's workers will need to eat and we can sell them food here. Essex on the other hand is to be our food production region thus a market makes sense there so the Bakers can trade the goods they need for production easily. If you want to sell your load of salt, meat, fish, or pottery, you know it will sell in Essex. I'm not a big proponent of markets all over the place, too many markets means goods spread around too much, but these two regions are vital.

Another construction site I will mention is in Exeter. Exeter is another region in which a full city is planned due to it's strategic location on top of a fast-track node. Travel in and out of Exeter is easy from London and Gwynned. Exeter's construction is more of a long range plan, For now we will just be using the Castle project for storage until we know the Hampshire Castle project is well under way.

Lastly I will just note that our final attack on Dorset was announced today. This will bring to a close the clean-up attacks which brings the War for the Crown to it's conclusion. English lands will all be English lands now, and in a few hours we will see another battle bring the campaign against the natives in the East to a close thus completing England's manifest destiny in that direction.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #9 on: 16 July, 2013, 01:18:36 AM »

Hello everyone,

I trust we all had a relaxing weekend. There's a few news items to mention today.

First of all we successfully retrieved Dorset back from our friends the Welsh yesterday. The Kingdom now is fully connected again and reaches farther than it ever has before. To temper that excitement however is the news that our attack on Kent which was scheduled for Friday didn't quite go off as planned. It seemed the Regent order I had written was dated to expire on July 12 at 23:59 and the attack was launched on July 13th at 00:01, haha. Well you can't win them all. The Kentish Natives surely had a fun weekend anyway so at least there was some good to come out of it. None the less new orders have been drawn and Captain Repgow will be pressing his attack on the now quite hung-over and tired Kent Militia at any moment.:)

We are all happy to announce the opening of the Mighty Hampshire Harbor. Lord Wills of Hampshire officially opened the harbor with an order for a celebratory shipment of the finest of Charolais Mead. I was not there, but the story of the momentous occasion is now infamous...

Just as the final spike was driven into the dock works, the first skiff debarked the finest shipment of delicacies; despite the charge, which was plenty for all the workers, the gunwhales of the mighty craft rode high above the channel waves, and the oarsman, Sir Clegane had to stand to draw the boat across the water. The workers cheered and gladly drew the boat ashore. Lord Wills had made good his promise of the finest bottles of Savoyard Mead!

They quickly tore at the cases as they were placed upon the docks, not waiting for proper presentation nor for proper tankards even, the workers instead laughed and shouted "Huzzah Lord Wills!", "All Hail the King!" as the handed out the bottles quickly amongst themselves. Of course cork screws not being regular issue amongst dockworkers in Hampshire, most took to delicately smashing the necks upon posts, beams, or even upon their neighbor's heads in a pinch.

Sounds of cavalcades of glass shattering were soon replaced by wretching and then the sounds of men screaming and then running in all directions. As the din fell, Lord Wills, who had of course stayed out of the foray, surveyed the scene and discovered this fact. It seemed that the Savoyard suppliers being unfamiliar with the local customs and perhaps unfamiliar with the local languages as well, sent over some of the finest Charolais Bottled Meat, rather than Bottled Mead...

Bottled Meat...who ever heard of such a thing! Well the old country just is never the same once you leave. I am now and will always be an Englishman. :)

Anyway...The last order of business is the announcement of the opening of more construction projects. The first is the Pottery market in Northampton. This market will be used to supply the local Pottery Workshops with the resources for their businesses and also will be the place to buy bricks, pottery and the like.  That project is supplied to give a 4 silver per hour wage and is open for all to work. The local tavern in the region makes resting easy for those who may be traveling from York.

The other market to be constructed is the Produce market in Essex. Essex of course will be the focus of our food production and thus this market will be where we will sell our food production resources to our bakers and where our bakers will sell their soup and bread at discount prices (without distribution costs). We are assigning the Army to work on this project, but if you are a London resident and wish to help out then we would appreciate the help.

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #10 on: 24 July, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

Hello everyone,

Well it’s been a little over a week since we last spoke. I’m sorry for the lack of communication but things have been quite busy for me (in RL and at work specifically). We do have a big announcement to make today, but first let me get some smaller announcements out of the way first.

Those brutes down and Kent have finally been brought to heel but it wasn’t easy. In fact even yours truly was taken down in the battle by a monster of a man. Almost 7 foot tall, this behemoth must have weighed 20 stone, as ugly as an ox and about as smart as one too I’d imagine, but as fast as a snake he was. Fortunately, as with most of the Kentish lot, he was not wearing armor nor wielding advanced weaponry. Instead they were equipped with normal farming tools, in this man's case he held but a simple hoe. Nonetheless he still swung that hoe with dexterity and strength, hitting me several times and he eventually managed to wedge that dirty hoe up underneath my breastplate and into my ribs which caused my following attack to miss. That was enough for him to just barely defeat me before Captain Eike felled him with a final glancing blow.  With their Goliath fallen, the rest of the Kentish followed suit. The men celebrated in the Tavern while I convalesced under the care of Lord Wills' staff in Hampshire.

Next we advanced upon the Bee region of Derby up by York. The Derby natives released their Hives upon us as we approached as their first line of defense. It would seem that the strongest plate in Europe was little defense against a swarm of bees, in fact it was something of a hindrance once the bees managed to breech the interior. So we stripped down to our leathers to fight which won the day and as it turned out won the hearts of a few of the ladies of Derby as well.

Our Eastern native campaign is now complete, our Western and Northern campaigns still to be launched, but we spent this past week working on various construction projects and getting other items of business in order.

The Essex Produce Market is now complete we are happy to announce. That will be the market to sell Salt, Pottery, Meat, Fish, Wheat and Hay if you have it.  You can also purchase Soup and Bread there at good prices as well if you need food.

We also are happy to announce the opening of construction on the Great Pagan High Temple of London (still looking for a cool Druidy name for it). We’re working with the home office in Turnu to get a daily wage set, so until we can get that set up we will have to work for free. However I will pay 4 silver per hour to anyone working there at the present time. We can track the hours via the info screen, so what you can do is check in with me before, then work a few shifts then when you are finished check in with me again and I will pay you for your hours worked. Hopefully the wage issue will be solved soon, but this will be the workaround until then.

You know, this update is quite long already and my big announcement will necessitate some long blocks of writing. So I will give the Royal Heralds a break and rather then have 6-foot long scrolls to deliver throughout the Kingdom today, lets end this message here and I will save the big announcement for tomorrow.

A little anticipation never hurt anyone.:)

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #11 on: 25 July, 2013, 03:43:57 PM »

Hello everyone,

All right, so the big announcement is here finally. How actually big it is remains to be seen, I will leave that judgment up to you.:)

We have been talking internally about organizing a new group or system within the country. You see England is at a size now that I am not sure it has ever seen before, if not in terms of population then certainly in terms of sheer geographic size. A country that less than a month ago had just over 50 citizens and 7 regions now has close to 100 citizens and 17 regions. Simply said the country is too large for one man or even a small cadre of people to keep track of and to administrate on their own.

Additionally it is very easy for the people of England to be lost in the shuffle in a country this vast, where do they go for information? How do they make connections with their fellow countrymen? Who do they turn to for help? Especially those who are newly born in the world? Who do they contact for a leg up, for a helping hand? What can we do to keep them interested in coming back?

So we will be rolling out an organization we will be calling the Royal Society of Britain , or the RSB in order to save the wear and tear on my favorite quill. This will be something of a “soft launch”, so initially the RSB will be centered within the main city/markets of England but it will eventually be rolled out to any and all cities in the British Isles that wish to and can support another Society hub. The first three Societies will be in London, York and Essex, hopefully soon if this launch is a success we will see more Societies opening in Gwynned, Lothian and Dublin as well.

The focal point of the Society and its main selling point for membership is the Royal Society Ledger. This Ledger is a spreadsheet which all RSB members will have access to that will entitle them to detailed information on regional resources, Market listings, Royal Society memberships and occupations which should make it easy to find local partners for business dealings as well as partners in other cities. It will also contain a localized map of the British Isles that details resources, structures, and more for all nations of the isles. Only Society members will have access to this information. Here is a small preview of the type of information that can be gained from the Ledger:

In addition to the Royal Society Ledger, RSB membership will include:

-   Membership in their Local Society in-game Group with bi-weekly updates from it's leadership about city development and Society news
-   Subsidized pricing for clothing and footwear from specific RS Tailors. We want all RS members to be clothed; too many in England are walking around in rags. Pricing will be half what the usual market rate is, but other accommodations can be made. The key is that we are all out of rags as soon as possible.
-   Availability for a single one-time loan from the Society towards a Real Estate venture of their choice. This loan can be repaid in output from that venture, other agreed upon resource collection, or in pure interest free silver.
-   Approved vendor status with the Crown of England for orders from the Palace for goods and or services

Now before anyone jumps up and screams that this Royal Society will be some discriminating organization, open only to the “Royal Elites” or “chosen few” of the country, I can assure you that this will not be the case. It will be open to anyone of English citizenship (and later Welsh, Scottish, and Irish as well). There will be just a few stipulations:

The Royal Society Member must:
-   Be a citizen of the British Isles, not living in exile
-   Be at least 2 weeks of age
-   If less than 30 days old, must have completed a 3-part Quest administered by an accredited Society Tutor

For most of you veterans of England all you need do is apply to be accepted. For newer citizens they will be lead through a short series of tasks that will teach them the basics of life in England (think of it as a walk-through) and be rewarded each step of the way. And always they will have the ultimate goal of full Society membership in sight upon completion of their full 3-part task. By that time they will have been around for about 2 weeks and will be invested in life in England and hopefully we will have a fully functional and self-sufficient citizen ready to hit the cobblestones running.

There is much more to explain in regards to the organization of the Royal Society and how it will work, but this message is already too long, so I will speak about that tomorrow. We have covered enough for today. We will not open up registration until Monday so there is plenty of time.

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) Bruce Enderson

• General group
  • Regent of the Scottish Confederacy
« Reply #12 on: 25 July, 2013, 07:16:06 PM »
Even though these are messages from James to all of England; this is me, Bruce Enderson, Chief among the Scots, approving of the RSB.  So.  Guts and Glory to you all - even if you don't choose to get involved.

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #13 on: 26 July, 2013, 02:14:34 PM »

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I introduced you all to the Royal Society of Britain with an overview of how it works. Today I would like to cover a very critical aspect of the RSB, it’s leadership. An organization is only as good as it’s leadership and this one will be no different. While the final decision of the leadership of the RSB ultimately lies within the Palace and with my advisers, we do not wish to control the RSB Leadership and we wish it to be it’s own separate organization from the Palace. There will be a number of positions open for each regional Society and each position will have it’s own list of responsibilities and duties. These positions are open to every single English citizen. The positions and titles are as follows:

High Minister of (City)
The High Minister leads the RS members of his city coordinating the various functions of the RS within the city. He administrates the in-game Group for the city and uses that Group to send out weekly, or bi-weekly messages with news and updates about RS goings on within the city and the country.

Minister of Markets
The Minister of Markets is in charge of the health of his local Market. If his market should be in need of any goods that are integral to his city then the he will work with other RS members in other locales to bring those goods to his market asap. Additionally he updates the RS Ledger daily or as often as possible with his local market information.

Minister of Education
The Minister of Education leads the corps of the local Education system, and spearheads the search to identify new citizens who require assistance and help who would benefit from one-on-one tutelage.

Professors (two in each city)
The Professor is the man on the street who actually works with the new citizen to help him in his three-step quest with his ultimate goal of full Society Membership. Referred to the new citizen by the Minister of Education, it is the Professor who makes the most difference with the new citizen.

We have started to formulate something of a lesson plan for the Professor to use when working with the new citizens, but of course they will also need to improvise much of their work as well so there is only so much we can lay out for them before hand. They would have their own spreadsheet perhaps called "College of New Citizens" or something where they can collaborate and coordinate their work.

While these jobs may sound time consuming, really I don't expect any but perhaps the Professors taking up much more than a few minutes a day of their time, my descriptions were probably unnecessarily grandiose in their wording. And as this is a soft-launch we can roll things out with something of a skeleton crew at least to start, though having the Minister of Markets position filled in each city will be vital at the very least so we can have the market information updated.

So this is a good spot to wrap up today. If you are interested in any of these positions you may contact me now. We can correspond today if you act fast. Unfortunately I am not as available to talk/reply this weekend, though I am around so I will see your messages. We will open enrollment on Monday to everyone for regular membership.

Also last thing, I have spoken with King Bruce and Scotland wants in so we will be opening a Royal Society Chapter in Lothian for our soft-launch as well.:)

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy

(RIP) James Balliot

• General group
« Reply #14 on: 30 July, 2013, 01:53:51 PM »

Hello everyone,

We delayed the opening of general registration to the Royal Society of Britain an extra day as work around the Palace was rather hectic yesterday and we are still filling positions for the Royal Society Staff. However we have filled our three High Minister positions and various other positions have been filled so we have decided that do have enough staff to launch. Thus we will be opening general registration today to everyone who wishes to join the Royal Society. This also now includes everyone in Scotland as King Bruce has opened a Chapter in Lothian as well.

To apply for membership you only must:

-   Be a citizen of the British Isles, not living in exile
-   Be at least 2 weeks of age
-   If less than 30 days old, you will be assigned a 3-part Quest administered by an accredited Society Professor

Simply reply to this message and we will get the ball rolling. I look forward to hearing from you all!

Thank you,

King James I of England
Prince of Wales
Marquis of Savoy